classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
376 messages Options
1 ... 567891011 ... 19
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Threat of STR to mountain towns

campgottagopee
Is it possible that some of these Lax idiots you speak of are locals?? Not all visitors are bad, Coach. Maybe you should go over and introduce yourself to some of them and get to know them. I do that all the time at Greek and I find the majority of them a really cool peeps.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I live in a community with a ton of STR.  The Lax kids were better this year than in the past.  They did their partying but that is part of the appeal of coming up to the tourney.  Town a mess?  Well it is summer and we have tourist and the lax tourney going on so it was a bit trafficky but I don't think it was a mess.  I like the influx of people up here.  Talking to strangers getting their perspective and listening to the good times they are having is a positive experience .  The Flume is not visited by the lax people.  They all have games during the day.  That is just visitors going to a popular spot.  
Hiring a constable to quiet the late parties down in North Elba is ok with me but the funds should come directly from the B&B pool that they are overseeing.

I think they should do an online poll letting people vote on what should be policed.  When they come up with the solution take the list of people that voted for the changes and send them the bill in the mail.  I bet they wont want to pony up for the solutions.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Coach Constable and Pinkerton Peetex reporting for duty sir!  The republicans always raining down on the fun!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
ScottyJack wrote
Coach Constable and Pinkerton Peetex reporting for duty sir!  The republicans always raining down on the fun!

https://www.simplypsychology.org/social-identity-theory.html
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
Love the nicknames.....but politically more likely to be Democrats looking for increased "regulation". But anyone can be a bit of a NIMBY when they feel like their location is being exploited by outsiders.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
ScottyJack wrote
Scotty given your environmental concerns I would think you would want to keep Wilmington a beautiful place

A good friend of my wife picked up the empties left thrown all over the place at the Flume - one of these bags every day.  300+ total cans and bottles over 3 days from the Locust Lax players that descended on the Flume for the after match swim party.  That was documented in the local paper and I say the people in thier Lax tee shirts in mass there on 86.  The focus from the Lax tournament to behave in LP and they then encouraged this party at the Flume as a way to get the party moved to Wilmington.  A sobriety check point in the notch would have wiped out half the tournament.  How long before one of these drunks kills someone?  A good % of those there probably took thier empties with them so that give you an idea how much beer was drank.  There also was plenty of hard alcohol bottles too.

You guys should be as outraged as we are.  There is no way locals would have left this mess as a TJF inferred.  I'm all for tourism but if they turn into Locusts and ruin what makes the Daks great it needs to be regulated.  The DEC is paying to clean up this mess local volunteers are doing it.  It might be better if they stopped picking up the mess which is really sad.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Time to drop the hammer!  Carry in carry out or dont come back!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
ScottyJack wrote
Time to drop the hammer!  Carry in carry out or dont come back!
So can the DEC police do something about this?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex

Scottski Jackoff for Comrade Constable
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Z
180 bucks in 3 days --- not bad!!!

How do you know that these so called drunks didn't have DD's??

Listen, I can't stand littering either. I live right across the street from 3000+ acres of state land forest. There are 3 very popular party spots in there that kids have parties at all the time. Myself along with 2 other neighbors clean up after them on a regular basis. I actually left them a note asking them to please put their empties in one spot so cleanup would be easier. Guess what ---- they DID!!! LOL, I couldn't believe it. I actually thought is was cool of them to have enough respect to do that.

I guess my point is rather than bitch about it try and make it better. Nothing you or I do will stop people from doing what they want to do. I was a kid once, and shamefully I admit to tossing my empties out just like these kids do so I guess I'mm just paying it back. I love the woods and I do whatever I can to keep them clean.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Real nice making fun of weight challenged people!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote

I hate people that litter.  There is just no excuse.  

But, the worst thing is look at all of that crappy beer!!!!

Reply | Threaded
|

Moresnow

Regarding the trashing of the environment by groups, as a runner I get to see our local high ways and byways up close and personal. It's depressing to see so much garbage, everything from car tires, old TV's, beer cans (massive amounts), household refuse, you name it, tossed along the sides of our roads even in the most remote pristine areas. This has been going on for decades, long before social media. It's odd that one can afford a $50,000 vehicle but can't afford the $5 fee to properly dump garbage at the local transfer station. I see it all the time in my side of the Catskills (Sullivan and Delaware Counties). The high number of beer cans and liquor bottles tossed from vehicles especially along rural roads suggests a large number of drivers are DWI. And what's with the skiing while drinking mentality. During ski season, I'm constantly picking up beer cans and liquor bottles tossed from ski lifts. Now we have to worry about drunken yahoos on the ski slopes as well as on the roadways.

Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Agreed.  I don't want to sound like I'm on a high horse, but I don't drink while skiing, or golfing for that matter.  I don't care if someone has a couple of pops at lunch or on the deck, but I've seen folks go overboard.  For me, I'll drink enough when I get home.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Learned from an article about AirBnB getting into Japan that the limit in London is 90 days and 60 days in Amsterdam.  For Japan, it's going to be 180 days.  Is there a limit in the Adirondacks?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-09/airbnb-gets-green-light-in-japan-with-home-sharing-law-s-passage
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I can't see staying in Japan for more than a week at a time, that was my tolerance level for the country, whether it was the city or the country side.
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
PeeTex wrote
I can't see staying in Japan for more than a week at a time, that was my tolerance level for the country, whether it was the city or the country side.
Never been, although I obviously would love to ski and eat there. Can you say more about your one-week limit?
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Some people love Japan. I found that the background smell in the country made me sick after about 5 days. I also reach my sushi and noodle bowl limit in about that time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
PeeTex wrote
Some people love Japan. I found that the background smell in the country made me sick after about 5 days. I also reach my sushi and noodle bowl limit in about that time.

Ha. I have heard about that smell thing when people talk about India, although much worse.

Japan is a unique economy right now, although I feel that we're all heading that way in the west. Awful demographics. Incredibly old country, no babies being made, and no immigrants to take up the slack. Many many houses need to be filled in the countryside.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by PeeTex
I never noticed any unusual smells in Japan.  I was only able to spend one week there and I found that was not nearly enough, considering the effort it takes to get there.  I was sick the first day there, and killer sick for 3 days when I got home.  It was still a real good experience, although I didn't see much outside of Shiga.

I liked it, but I wouldn't go there for the food.  Japanese people eat some pretty strange stuff, not at all like the sushi bar at Price Chopper.  It helped that I had a couple of ex-pats warning me off the worst of it.  I figured if a guy who lived in Japan 10 years wouldn't eat something, I had no business trying it.  Spaghetti or curry was usually the safest choice.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
1 ... 567891011 ... 19