Whiteface - Lookout Mountain...estimated opening?

417 messages Options
1234 ... 42
DCskibum DCskibum
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Whiteface - Lookout Mountain...estimated opening?

Hi - I really love skiing Lookout Mountain and was wondering if anyone had an idea or best guess estimate for when its ropes will drop?

Face4Me Face4Me
Reply |

Re: Whiteface - Lookout Mountain...estimated opening?

It's hard to say right now ... they haven't started snowmaking up there yet. Once they do, it typically takes about 7-10 days of snowmaking to get the Wilmington Trail open.

Assuming the weather holds out, and we don't have any more significant warm-ups, I'd think it's pretty safe to say that it will be open for Martin Luther King weekend, maybe a few days earlier. It's going to be interesting to see whether they go back and continue snowmaking on Skyward before heading to Lookout Mountain. Skyward is open, and there's plenty of snow on it, but they DEFINITELY need to get back up there to get it open edge to edge.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Grillman Grillman
Reply |

Opening Wilmington is like opening up everything off of Little Whiteface down to the mid mtn lodge....its a long trail that needs a lot of snow....i hope that they blow Skyward some more and then put the guns on Wilmington on Wednesday.  The crew has done a great job with the weather fluctuations...and Wilderness was a blast today and yesterday.
Face4Me Face4Me
Reply |

In reply to this post by Face4Me
Face4Me wrote
Assuming the weather holds out, and we don't have any more significant warm-ups, I'd think it's pretty safe to say that it will be open for Martin Luther King weekend, maybe a few days earlier.
... or maybe not.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
DCskibum DCskibum
Reply |

Yeah - i was looking to make the trip up to gore and whiteface for MLK but with this upcoming weather I may have to do Killington
snoloco snoloco
Reply |

DCskibum wrote
Yeah - i was looking to make the trip up to gore and whiteface for MLK but with this upcoming weather I may have to do Killington
I think that you will have a great time at Killington if that is where you decide to go.  It is the best mountain on the east coast IMO.  However, you may hear some negative talk about Killington and the rest of Vermont if you say that you are going there instead of Whiteface or Gore.  Just ignore it.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

snoloco wrote
DCskibum wrote
I think that you will have a great time at Killington if that is where you decide to go.  It is the best mountain on the east coast IMO.  However, you may hear some negative talk about Killington and the rest of Vermont if you say that you are going there instead of Whiteface or Gore.  Just ignore it.
My young friend has much to learn..Ask dad to stay on rt100n.. Ski a couple of those hills and report back to us..
"Peace and Love"
DCskibum DCskibum
Reply |

In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
DCskibum wrote
Yeah - I like Killington a bunch but not on holidays. Booked a super cheap flight months ago to Albany which is about equal distance to both for MLK and was planning on WF/Gore until the weather turned. IMO Sugarloaf and Jay Peak are the best in the east.
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

My question is, how much difference in cost is it to fly to DEN or SLC..At least you will be guaranteed snow and no rain..
"Peace and Love"
DCskibum DCskibum
Reply |

JasonWx wrote
My question is, how much difference in cost is it to fly to DEN or SLC..At least you will be guaranteed snow and no rain..
$180 round trip DC to Albany. Im originally from Rochester, NY so having ski buddies pick me up at the airport is a plus.
I booked SLC round trip from DCA for the last week of January for $350. (SLC - MLK was in the $450 range)
1234 ... 42