Whiteface - Lookout Mountain...estimated opening?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
417 messages Options
1234567 ... 21
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface - Lookout Mountain...estimated opening?

Z
Evidently Snos emails to management were read.  Guns are being moved to Lookout this afternoon.  Starting at bottom to take advantage of temps while they it it then moving up.  I like Hoyt's but I really could care less about WT.  I'd rather see Mac get blown or even put some guns on Cloud.

Sno I like you but all this gloom and doom talk is starting to piss me off.  It always rains a bit in January.  The skiing is great even though we had a few wet days.  Stop whining and go skiing.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Easy Coach.....lets not blow up the kids head now! :)

I imagine it was in the plans anyways but lets not let his timing get to Sno's head. We definitely don't need to inflate that thing eh?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Please
I was being scarcastic
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Evidently Snos emails to management were read.
Wow!! I thought my email found it's way to the official ORDA suggestion box.  
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by snoloco
Agree with Z... stop whining... wake up... you don't know half as much as you think you do.  You've got it good even on your worst day.  Spend some time in Central America... it will open your eyes.  

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
nepa wrote
Agree with Z... stop whining... wake up... you don't half as much as you think you do.  You've got it good even on your worst day.  Spend some time in Central America... it will open your eyes.  

Nice to see the old "eat your dinner because there are kids starving in China" argument is still out there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In my house it's eat your dinner or I'm hiding your Xbox cable.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Just took away the Xbox controllers and hid them due to lack of homework being done post skiing today
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
Whining or not, I have to mostly agree with Snoloco on this one.  I ski PA, NY, VT, much of the east ex-ME, and IMO year-in-and-year-out Whiteface is my choice for the poorest managed property I ski at.

While I understand the complexities of getting Lookout open, given the generally favorable temps that have persisted for much of the season from November to today (01/08/17), as well as decent snowfall, it's very difficult for me to believe that a better allocation of & attention to resources couldn't have had Lookout open this season by the financially critical MLK weekend.

And I'm a little surprised to read Coach 7's comments that hours ago, snowmaking assets were moved to Lookout, because warm temps accompanied by rain's coming Wednesday through Friday this week.  Makes me wonder if it's merely a "tourist head fake" of sorts.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Z's post said that they're starting on the lower portion of the trail while the temps are favorable Monday and Tuesday.  Then they'll move up when temps are only good up there.  Friday into the weekend looks good for snowmaking too.  I think it'll open the weekend of the 21st.  I don't really think it's a "tourist head fake" because you can't see most of the trail from the rest of the ski area or even know that it's being blown.  Probably is a good idea to keep snowmaking away from open areas on a busy weekend.  They'll probably resurface some trails after the r*in, but only in areas that have permanent towers.

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by BenedictGomez
What other 3 to 4 trails would you not rather have open if they did blow Wilmington earlier ?  It takes a whole week of blowing to get this one non critical 2.5 mile trail open.  It's not really a blue as intermediates have a very hard time on it and it bores experts.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I don't think it's really bad management as much as it is a need to increase firepower if they want to open Wilmington earlier.  In early December when I was skiing there, I thought they were doing a great job with the snowmaking.  I would've argued against blowing snow on open terrain in favor of going up to Wilmington, but I'm not sure if that would've been a big enough difference to get it open by now.

Not opening Lookout at all when all their competitors opened all their lifts over the course of the season sure would've been bad management, but now it looks like it will open within the next 2 weeks.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
So was I.....
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
snoloco wrote
You and RA (the climate change fearmongerers) make this a whole lot better.

You learned the term "fearmongering" from spending too much time here... we've obviously ruined part of your childhood.  I also like Profitmongering, and when I was single, young, and traveling in Amsterdam & Eastern Europe I was sometimes referred to as a Whoremonger.

With the two Quacks that could potentially be running the DOE and EPA, the way I see it, there are 2 choices: Prepare for the worst or wait in line for food & water.

I'm not a super patient guy, so I choose to be prepared for the worst.  There is nothing to be afraid of, as long as you are prepared for the worst.

Learn to grow your own food... it's better for the planet.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Will be shocked if it opens in the next two weeks, 3 warm days this week...cool down over the weekend...then warm and rain for next week.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Coach Z wrote
What other 3 to 4 trails would you not rather have open if they did blow Wilmington earlier ?  It takes a whole week of blowing to get this one non critical 2.5 mile trail open.  It's not really a blue as intermediates have a very hard time on it and it bores experts.
What is sometimes a 2.5 mile narrow bump run is a far cry from being boring...
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
In reply to this post by NorEaster27
Not siding w Sno on everything but he does make some good points. My suggestion to him would be to get used to it, WF is after all a Government operation, not a real ski area. They are always doing things that seem to make little sense. One of my favorites which appears to be ready to repeat itself this year: Saturday they had on snow gun on lower Sky under the summit chair blowing more snow on top of a massive pile that was already there. No guns above it or below it. They make this massive pile every year and never seem to push it downhill where it is really needed, especially in the spring when the rocks start poking out just a couple hundred feet below the pile. The other ridiculous aspect of this is that there is only one way down from Sky, over Niagara. So why blow one pile in the middle of lower sky and not above and below it to connect the terrain?  Especially since the trail is closed. I could start a whole thread on the many puzzling moves that continue year in year out on WF in regard to snowmaking and most locals would agree as its talked about constantly.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by NorEaster27
NorEaster27 wrote
Will be shocked if it opens in the next two weeks, 3 warm days this week...cool down over the weekend...then warm and rain for next week.
Go back under your bridge.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by nepa
I'd like to hear more about this whoremongering
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
WTH Sno. I thought you didn't ski trees. Now, you're shades of Glade lately ?
1234567 ... 21