Whiteface - Lookout Mountain...estimated opening?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
417 messages Options
1 ... 45678910 ... 21
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface - Lookout Mountain...estimated opening?

Brownski
This post was updated on .
Coach Z wrote
snoloco wrote
Prescription goggles are ridiculously expensive and with the cold temps that I often go out in, I think contacts would freeze to my eye.
I've worn contacts to ski for like 30 years and they have yet to have them freeze to my eyes.  The contacts keep getting better and actually cheaper while my eyes unfortunately seem to be keep getting worse.
Junior skis in contacts all the time; yesterday it was around 6-16 degrees as far as I can figure. When he was too young for them he skied in his rec-specs and I can't remember him bitching about it ever.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snoloco
What?

FWIW Sounds like Whiteface was off the hook today Sky and Cloudspin, Mountain Run.  That was part of the scam too... you put out some awesome skiing so people will think you are awesome.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Not sure what you mean Harvey.  And Face4Me, so you'd be OK with them only opening 1 trail the entire year because "it's in the fine print"?  I don't think so.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona

snoloco wrote
Not sure what you mean Harvey.  And Face4Me, so you'd be OK with them only opening 1 trail the entire year because "it's in the fine print"?  I don't think so.

Whiteface only has one trail open so far this season?

Man that does suck.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Keep at it sno.  They need the ability to pump more water and im not even certain they have the water to pump. Everyone wants that pod open. Nothing anyone can do without the ability to make more snow. Write to the governor. He is the man that can make it happen.  Wilmington is an awesome trail. And Hoyts is to. Your getting kicked around pretty good but keep at it it can't hurt.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Do you really think that pod was built as a scam to boost marketing claims? I get it, you want to ski Lookout.  But if for some reason it doesn't happen it doesn't prove a conspiracy.

At Gore and Whiteface, in a big year you'll get 100% of terrain. For now, in lesser years maybe not. Does it make Gore or Whiteface better to remove that terrain?  I know your answer is to spend millions immediately to remedy the "problem."  But it's an unfunded mandate.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
All lifts should be a given every year.  Big waste of money to install a lift you're not going to use.

In an average year, you should be able to ski 100% of snowmaking terrain, but might not be able to ski the natural trails.  In a bad year, you should be able to ski all the lifts, but some trails might need to be sacrificed to build base depths elsewhere.

Just look at Whiteface's fb page.  Lots of people asking when Lookout will open.  No it's not just me creating new accounts.  Everyone clearly wants it open, so it's time for management to get with the program and listen to their customers and open it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
snoloco wrote
All lifts should be a given every year.  Big waste of money to install a lift you're not going to use.

In an average year, you should be able to ski 100% of snowmaking terrain, but might not be able to ski the natural trails.  In a bad year, you should be able to ski all the lifts, but some trails might need to be sacrificed to build base depths elsewhere.
There are a lot of "should"s in there. Who wrote these rules?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Who is everyone? What percentage of NYers want it? So all Aaron has to do is listen and open it?

What is your solution? How much does it cost? How will you raise the money?  

Detail how you source the water and money to get all lifts open by Christmas in an average year.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Brownski
All other major ski resorts in the east.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Detail how you source the water and money to get all lifts open by Christmas in an average year.
At this point I don't even give a damn.  I just want them to open it by February.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Lol RA. I actually Googled snozberry the other day.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
snoloco wrote
At this point I don't even give a damn.  I just want them to open it by February.  
What's that sound I hear? It sounds like reality setting in.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
snoloco wrote
Harvey wrote
Our boy is growing up!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
They're giving the same old runaround on the facebook page to anyone who asks the question.  "We will post here as soon as snowmaking has moved to Lookout".  Yeah, but when?  This weekend?  After the warm spell?  Next Year?  Never?  Give your customers a real answer for once.  Saying when they tentatively plan to make snow up there, or saying what other things need to be accomplished first would go a long way.  People are starting to sound more and more pissed off in their tone asking the question "When will Lookout open" on the facebook page.  Management needs to hear people's concerns and address them.

If they send me a survey, and I hope they do, I'm going to rate them accordingly on failing to open an entire peak on the mountain in a not so bad year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Imagine for a second that you are management:

"Sno when with Lookout get snowmaking?"

And you don't know the answer.

You don't know the weather, skier visits whatever. What if there was a chance you wouldn't blow in it this year and there was a chance you would but you didn't know when.

What response would you authorize for Facebook?

Here is a place for your response:

|

raisingarizona
snoloco wrote
They're giving the same old runaround on the facebook page to anyone who asks the question.  "We will post here as soon as snowmaking has moved to Lookout".  Yeah, but when?  This weekend?  After the warm spell?  Next Year?  Never?  Give your customers a real answer for once.  Saying when they tentatively plan to make snow up there, or saying what other things need to be accomplished first would go a long way.  People are starting to sound more and more pissed off in their tone asking the question "When will Lookout open" on the facebook page.  Management needs to hear people's concerns and address them.

If they send me a survey, and I hope they do, I'm going to rate them accordingly on failing to open an entire peak on the mountain in a not so bad year.
It sounds like they don't know when to me. You aren't entitled to an answer more than that.

Now stop being so silly. There are things that you don't understand or are trying to take into consideration. You know a lot about lifts and snow making gear but I'm guessing you have never been involved with any real deal ski area management.....have you ever even had a job?

Why not e-mail the head of WF's snowmaking department, ask him/her about it. I'm sure they can explain why they haven't been over there yet. Other than that you should reel it in bit, you don't realize this but you are really starting to embarrass yourself with the foot stomping and crossed arms thing you do on here.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Harvey
If I were the GM, it would've been opening this weekend.

There would need to be a general plan for when it's going to happen, so they should let their paying customers know what's up.

I think they didn't plan to open it all along and are just waiting for the right time to give the bad news, like after the cancellation window is up for most hotel reservations for president's weekend, so people can't back out and go to a ski area with a competent management team that can open all their lifts in an average year.

There is always going to be a couple warm and wet weeks in any eastern ski season, and if your ski area is so vulnerable to them that it causes huge sections of the mountain not to open at all, then your snowmaking needs a serious upgrade and it needs it now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Let's say they give you a date and then miss if by a week? You'll be the first in line to bitch them out about that, right? You can't predict the weather.
1 ... 45678910 ... 21