1 ... 3456
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ACR Op-Ed Piece In The NYTimes

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
Jamesdeluxe wrote
Has any of the Hope Lake revenue been spent to modernize infrastructure on the ski hill or is do you still have to wear a special GP coat because of the grease dripping from the lifts?
Not yet. That's my hope. I hope they make millions to better the ski experience.

Grease??? Dooood, I wear camo pants. Do you think I'm worried about a little grease on my North Face jacket

Edit too add: Yes, they actually have made a BIG improvement. There is now a "real" changing area/locker area for public use along with a new conference center. Remember the walkway between the old changing area and the Katalima??? That is now gone and completely renovated...they did a darn good job too.
Reply | Threaded
|

sirskier
This post was updated on .
agreed, with your thoughts on vt  the place is being jerseyed especially mt. snow  area.   i am from nj and have given up on s. vt ex magic because it has very little charm left if you ask me. i am commited to the adk's.   if left up to the masses and local boards you end up up most time with shitty cheesy looking architecture and landscapes.  that is the way it is these days i am sorry but that is the truth.
On piste is better then no piste
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
This just in from the Kicking a Dead Horse Department:  (Today's Plattsburgh Press Republican editorial)  http://pressrepublican.com/0201_editorials/x897045264/Editorial-Resort-approval-the-right-decision
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
Snowballs gotta fly.....
.......Splat!!!  

I'm back.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Crash Landing ^^^^^
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Good read James.

While there are some ACR issues, there is another very serious ADK Park issue. It's large size and the forever wild clause are indeed slowly squeezing civilization out of the blue line.  

The Park is soooooooo large, without ANY civilization, would it be practicle to venture to the Park's interior ? No gas, food, lodging or emergency help/repairs. Without an indigenous tax base who will fund road care, etc ?

Would be cool if ACR does pull it off and succeeds.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
look at the bankrupt Tamarack resort in Idaho. it had big financial backers, plenty of press in the ski mags, location, and snow. and it still couldn't make it. the tupper project has none of that. why would anybody drop a million plus on a mole hill with no immediate luxury infrastructure in place when they can buy at sugarbush,stowe,jay,vail,etc......i understand the locals are desperate but there is no easy answer. there are many rural parts of this country where the population continues to shrink down to nothing ( think the great plains ) and there is no reason for any business to relocate there. internet businesses and jobs related to natural resources are probably the most likely sources of future jobs in these isolated places. also, most young people do not want to remain in these isolated communities. tv, the internet, and air travel have permanently opened the rest of the world for them. everywhere in the world the rural population has migrated towards the great population centers and the adirondacks are no exception. it should also be noted that most jobs in resort communities pay just above minimum wage and most locals have to work several jobs to keep up with increased cost of living in the community. there have been plenty of stories from lake placid to lake george about local families unable to hang onto the family home due to rising property taxes and young people unable to afford to buy in their hometown.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
frk nails it ^^^: the awful truth.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
interesting NY times article - it was pretty well balanced for such a left leaning publication.  Looked up these protect the ADK organziation that they say is still the major opposition of this.  They list Tupper as their #1 action issue.  Of the 25 board members 13 are from outside the blue line and I suspect several others are at best part time residents of the ADK's
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
ausable skier wrote
interesting NY times article - it was pretty well balanced...
I concur.  Very balanced.  She was well informed with very good sources.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
1 ... 3456