202 messages Options
1234 ... 11
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ACR lands the Great White Shark

Z
http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/552811/Lawson--Greg-Norman-signs-with-resort.html?nav=5008

This will lend a geat deal of legitimacy and credibility with the buyers of those great camps.  Norman if investing his own money will also help bring in more funds.  There will by at least one more really nice private jet at the local airport.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: ACR lands the Great White Shark

ml242
They should get Tiger, I heard he likes skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Z
Any info beyond the ncpr article? Not willing to go beyond the paywall.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Should this be appended to the already ongoing discussion?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
PeeTex wrote
Should this be appended to the already ongoing discussion?
Not if we want to talk about Greg Norman

Adk Jeff wrote
It's funny to me when people say "golf legend" because I never heard of the guy.  Shows what I know about golf.
Norman was the Tommy Hearns or Patrick Ewing of golf, all contemporaries who always came up just short despite being great competitors. It seemed that Norman was cursed by bad luck. He was beaten in two majors by incredibly lucky shots made by two nobodies (Bob Tway and Larry Mize). His reputation as a choker was sealed when he blew a huge lead in the '96 Masters to Nick Faldo, who until then had his own choker label as Nick Foldo. Bad luck, indeed; he almost cut off his hand using a chainsaw a few years ago (why don't rich people just hire others to do dangerous stuff like that?).

He's insanely rich and has remained popular despite his failings. Let's hope is luck is better with ACR.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
ADE has an app for Android, and there's no paywall.  I'd expect the same if you've got an iPhone.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Maybe not a paywall. They asked me to register.

Nice rundown Sponge.  I remember flipping on the tube and seeing a guy hole out from the bunker.  That Larry Mize shot was the only thing I saw in the whole tournament.

Funniest part was watching Jim Nance tell Larry that he was still a loser in the awards ceremony.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
Norman is also by far the most successful businessman of the former pro golfers.  Look it up.

That he is getting involved with ACR is going to give it serious street cred and I mean Wall St
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Coach Z wrote
Norman is also by far the most successful businessman of the former pro golfers.  Look it up.
Everything he touches seems to turn to gold. With that being said his net worth is about 300 million. He is behind Tiger Woods at 580 Million and Arnold Palmer at 675 Million.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
pro2860 wrote
Everything he touches seems to turn to gold.
Except maybe that chain saw. His most recent wife is cute for sure
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
The ADE paywall is quite easy to get around.  Just Google "Adirondack Daily Enterprise" and the name of the article and it will come right up.  Must be a cached version or something like that.

In any case, to answer your question, no.  Nothing really in the article beyond what's in the NPR piece except the ADE does mention a press release to be issued shortly:

"It's a big deal for Tupper Lake," Lawson said, adding that he plans to issue a press release containing the details of the arrangement along with a few other announcements over the next few days. "It's not just Greg Norman. It's real exciting, what's going on here, and the caliber of people that are coming here, and what we're proposing to do up on the mountain and throughout Tupper Lake," although he didn't clarify who else is included in that group.

It'll be interesting to see those details.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
This post was updated on .
One of the big nuts ACR needs to crack is how to finance infrastructure.  Lawson & Co. want to fund infrastructure out of sales, but you can't really sell properties without infrastructure in place.  Obviously the hope is that Norman's involvement provides the funding for infrastructure ACR has so far lacked.  

I'm most interested to see whether Norman's involvement brings some clarity to the redevelopment of the ski area.  Call me a conspiracy theorist, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Big Tupper eventually downscaled from being the centerpiece of ACR to a throw-away.  They'll kick the can down the road for a few more years and eventually say something like the ski area just doesn't fit with their vision of the resort any longer.  They'll blame it on the lawsuit and the enviros and changing tastes among purchasers of ACR's homes & condos.  Just sayin'...
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
OK, sense we are going to rehash this in yet another thread - the most likely scenario is that they will get him to design them a golf course an exchange for the property as they are desperate at this point. However the DEC and APA will scrutinize the plans and given Norman's not so environmentally friendly track record on course design - will drag things out. He won't tolerate the BS, pack up his bags full of money and move on, he's no dummy.

I believe this will go no where.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
PeeTex wrote
OK, sense we are going to rehash this in yet another thread .... I believe this will go no where.
How do you know that ? Using your since sense ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by pro2860
pro2860 wrote
Everything he touches seems to turn to gold. With that being said his net worth is about 300 million.

Chris Evert may dispute the first point.

This reminds me of an old joke.

Wanna know how to end up with ten million dollars? Invest 50 million in a faded and desperate old ski town in the ADK.

Does Norman even ski? I'm guessing not much. He is an Aussie, after all. Looks like they're going to have a nice golf course up there, though.

Never forgot the Masters choke. Pretty much ended his career. Never the same after that. Did enjoy watching him before that, but then an even more exciting player appeared in Tiger. Now it's back to boring white guys laying up.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Yo Benny , those boring white guys are whipping Tiger's butt regularly ..they play smart course mgmt ..just sayin
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Please. "Whipping" Tiger? Let's see them win at least ten majors before we start with that.

Face it, he's seen better days. Getting old is a bitch. My leg tells me that every day. But, if he retired tomorrow, he'll go down in history as one of the top five ever. And, he never choked, like Norman.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
 PLEASE , Facts are facts : Tiger simply  has not  won nor placed well in recent times and hasn't for some time .

So, if you choose to dwell on the  past that makes him as "has been " now . Unfortunately its all about what you are doing not what you have done .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
There has been a marked change in Tiger's game. Wonder if his Lasik surgery threw off his game ?
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
PeeTex wrote
OK, sense we are going to rehash this in yet another thread .... I believe this will go no where.
How do you know that ? Using your since sense ?
I don't know what will happen, wish I did. Truly hope it turns out well, there is a refurbished ski area and lots of empty houses owned by the mega rich paying huge property tax bills and Tupper Lake gets all brand new schools and the teachers make $150,000 a year with 100% retirement benefits. Maybe they will build a 5 star hotel with an indoor water park - hey, it could happen...
1234 ... 11