"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Belleayre Conditions

marznc
Harvey wrote
Belle reporting 7 inches.
Wish I were there.  Or could donate the 3-6 inches predicted for parts of central NC today.  Snowing at my house and already sticking.  
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
And Belle tends to under report.  

Marz - the instructor you had, I believe, is named Levan.  He is awesome.  

Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
Seemed like about 7". My kids ski the middle of trails and said they were hitting ice under the snow and where it got scraped off. I ski the edges and didn't have that problem.

Still, a fun day was had by all. Although neither I nor the kids were fans of having to ski the boring lower mountain (especially slow with fresh snow) to get to the gondola.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by DomB
DomB wrote
And Belle tends to under report.  

Marz - the instructor you had, I believe, is named Levan.  He is awesome.
Yep, Levan Johnson.  Very friendly guy and a great instructor.  I would do another lesson with him without hesitation if I were headed back to back to Belleayre.  Trying to figure out if I can get there in late Jan when I'm driving to Boston again.  Although can't say that I would go if conditions were going to be really icy.  That doesn't sound like a good idea for learning tele.

Oh . . . I have at least 5 inches of powder at my house.  On top of a layer of wet snow from the start of the storm in the morning.  Snowed steadily for almost 12 hours.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
marznc wrote
Although can't say that I would go if conditions were going to be really icy.  That doesn't sound like a good idea for learning tele.
I'm always on tele gear, but I only do tele turns if the snow is soft, or I'm in bumps or trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Belle reporting 7 inches.
I snow blowed 5" out of my driveway this morning before leaving for Gore. Came home to another 4 or 5. Very light snow however.

Gore was not bad at all, but I think the Catskills may have actually seen more snow today than the ADKs.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
marznc wrote
Although can't say that I would go if conditions were going to be really icy.  That doesn't sound like a good idea for learning tele.
I'm always on tele gear, but I only do tele turns if the snow is soft, or I'm in bumps or trees.
I can do parallel turns using my daughter's tele gear no problem.  The idea of taking another tele lesson is to manage to link a few tele turns on more than a green trail.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Are there any easy bumps at Belle at the moment?  Intermediate bumps?  Know someone driving up from NYC next weekend who is ready to start learning to ski bumps.
Reply | Threaded
|

moguljunkie
I didn't come across any intermediate bumps on the trails I skied yesterday. But there was snow starting to get pushed around into pre-moguls. I wouldn't be surprised if some bumps formed by the weekend on lower Wanatuska, the side of Belleayre Run, and some of the other usual spots.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
moguljunkie wrote
I didn't come across any intermediate bumps on the trails I skied yesterday. But there was snow starting to get pushed around into pre-moguls. I wouldn't be surprised if some bumps formed by the weekend on lower Wanatuska, the side of Belleayre Run, and some of the other usual spots.
Thanks!  I passed on the info.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Belle was really good Saturday and Sunday.  Saturday set an attendance record but no lines on lift 7 or tomahawk.  

Very nice bumps up top and some smaller bumps on wanatuska and canyon.  

Also winisook usually has bumps up top fyi.  
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
moguljunkie wrote
Thanks!  I passed on the info.
Turns out that the Belleayre online snow report by trail includes a column for Moguls.  For instance, for 1/22, moguls were expected on Belleayre Run, The Canyons, and Wanatuska.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
marznc wrote
Turns out that the Belleayre online snow report by trail includes a column for Moguls.
That is very cool.
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
It was great seeing bumps on the blue squares yesterday.  I forget the name of the trails but lots of the kids practicing on them.  Start em young
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
How’s bellayre doing these days?  
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
I had a great time at Belle yesterday.  By 11am it was spring like conditions.  The soft bumps were fun.  I was with a few people so didn't get a chance to charge hard on any black diamonds but the squares were fun for the day.  They had decent coverage in most spots.  Some mud spots (brown snow not actual mud yet) in high traffic locations.  They definitely blew snow to cover the spread.

No lift lines all day.  An employee told me saturday had more people but sunday was quiet.  Probably because of the rain overnight and it was still raining at sunrise in lower Ny, not many people wanted to risk it.  Win for us. Ski on all day.  That seems to be the case now with lots of families skiing the gondola - packed or not    
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
(Benny: cover your eyes) - Belle was great this weekend.  Sunday a bit windy but a few inches fell .
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I was up there with my son yesterday and I concur that conditions were nice. I’ve got a blog post about it going up tomorrow. Here’s a couple pics we didn’t use.

Bearpen in the distance.

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
Anybody hit Belleayre on Saturday?  I had an event friday night so I slept in and headed to belle on saturday and got there at noon.  I've never seen belle so packed! There was zero parking, even with the additional lots.  We figured that getting there at noon some early morning people would be leaving for the day.  There were tons of cars circling the lot too looking for a spot. The lot was like black friday at a mall. We wound up leaving and hiked Giant Ledge instead.  Great hike and much better than skiing with all of that traffic  
1 ... 9101112131415 ... 19