371 messages Options
1 ... 16171819
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Belleayre Conditions

DomB
Brownski,

Thanks for the tip and positivity!  I will make it a point to try Catamount this season.  I think my brother goes (his family skis a handful of days) and they really like it.  It doesn't appear to get the big crowds on holidays.  

Q:  Is Catamount on the Indy pass (I think) you had written about?  We ski fairly frequently, so we will probably be a pass fam for the next few years until kids are old enough to strongly resist going up.

I think the best way to approach is to try some of these other mountains and then dig deep into pass research in the off season.  If Hunter is now less crowded (a big if that I don't know the answer to) one of these mega passes may work for my family if we go for a trip out west.  The kids are good enough skiers now where that might make sense.  

If we were willing to do the 4 hour trip, Gore would be great for us.  I know sometimes people get ticked with operations, but it is head and shoulders above what Belle is doing, and the folks on the hill seem very nice.  

Best,
D
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Yes, they’re on the Indy. There are a couple others that are day trippable from the metro area. And Magic is about the same distance as Gore for me.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Fun Saturday and Sunday at Belle following my Gore storm chase.

On Saturday, ungroomed trails skied very nicely, as Belle got 3 inches of snow.  Here is a pic right before I hit Yahoo off the top:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/p19GaymToUEDtb717

Groomed trails were firm.  Also that day they were blowing on open trails (rarely done at Belle), so if you were willing to take a hit on your visibility, it was quite fun to ski there.  

Sunday was similar, and both days skied off by noon-1.  

I heard Tomahawk is down for the season.  That is bad because it is one of the two lifts I use to ping pong between trails to hide from crowds.  

Had fun with a neighbor who came up for the days at Belle, and mentioned the blog to a bunch of solos!

Best,
D
Reply | Threaded
|

Bandit
Glad it was decent this weekend. On my way there now with a snow day.

If you read the snow report or Facebook there is communication about the tomahawk. Root cause is an electrical issue that damaged the motor but they’re trying to have it fixed for presidents week.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
This post was updated on .
Not going tomorrow.
Maybe this Saturday
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
My friend Jim G from ( AZ) ski forum
He was at Bellaire today wed.
Snow several inch today.
I be there Friday with him

""Plus Belle was excellent today several lake effect snow squalls and much snowmaking going on. Bumps pretty good plus manmade pow bumps on Winnisook.".
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Belle was skiing great today.  Winnisook bump run under the guns was phenomenal- made me feel like I was out west 😜

There was a really fun crusty set of frozen bumps on Dot.   Tongora skied the best of the season.  

If you like groomers, Wanatuaka will be a great run this weekend: they blew snow and groomed it.  

I have been critical of management this year but hats off for leaving bump runs and blowing snow today.  

Pulled a Harv (if only at Belle) and got first Gondi.  

Three days ago was great, two days ago firm

Platty looked phenomenal yesterday but I didn’t ski it (took fam tubing)
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
B
Very nice day today
Nice rocker chamber ski my first time on this ski s
Sunny no wind s on trails
Much warmer than expected
Probably near 25 degree temperatures
No outside. Read ing temperatures
At BellFlat 1 upstairs in lodge don't work
I glad season pass for 3 NY
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I agree with Scotty, the rocker chamber is the place to be.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
In reply to this post by DomB
From Facebook Saturday March 14 2020

"Just giving everyone a little operations update.  We will be open tomorrow, Sunday, March 15th with 34 trails and 6 lifts spinning.  We be shutting down operations Monday through Thursday, re-opening again on Friday, March 20th."
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Belleayre to Welcomes Back Guests
Scenic Gondola Rides and Hiking Opening Saturday, July 18th

Belleayre Mountain is open for scenic gondola rides and hiking along with the Belleayre Beach. Hiking is available seven days a week, from 8am to 5pm.  (https://www.belleayre.com/todo/hiking/) Scenic Gondola Rides will be available Saturdays and Sundays from 10am to 5pm. (https://www.belleayre.com/todo/scenic-gondola-rides/)  

Take the Catskill Thunder Gondola to the summit of Belleayre Mountain for breathtaking views of the Catskill Forest Preserve. Once you’ve reached the top, take a walk along the summit ridge, have a picnic lunch, or just enjoy the peace and quiet. When you’re ready, you can either hike down or ride the gondola. Make sure to bring your camera! You are sure to get some beautiful shots of the mountains and the wildlife. The gondola schedule is subject to change and guests are encouraged to check the website for updates.  

Start your next hiking adventure at Belleayre Mountain! Explore unique trails where you will find something for everyone from challenging uphill climbs to the summit, to family-friendly hikes in our cross-country area. Enjoy picturesque mountain views, learn about the area through our new interpretive signage and experience nature at its best. Hikers can also access additional Catskill region hiking trails from the Belleayre Beach and Belleayre mountain.

The Belleayre Beach is open Monday through Friday 11:00am – 6:00pm and Saturdays and Sundays 10:00am – 7:00pm.  It will operate on a reduced capacity and follow NY State protocols including the requirement of face coverings for guests within certain locations and public areas. (https://www.belleayre.com/todo/belleayre-beach/)

Tickets for summer activities are available for purchase ahead on time online.  (https://www.belleayre.com/)  
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
1 ... 16171819