classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
371 messages Options
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 19
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Belleayre Conditions

DomB
Belle was powdery on Saturday (8 in last Sunday and 8 on Wednesday or Thursday).  On Sunday the snow was hero-ish but then becoming very sticky/heavy on the skis.  

Both days I only skied to 1230.  Day 1 I tweaked my knee while eating with my son (so fun getting older) and so stopped skiing for that day.  Day 2 we headed home around 1230 because of the pickup in the rate of rain.  Sunday the snow was till pretty fun.  

Ungroomed trails like utsyana (so?) Was really cool.  Good opportunity to work on powder skiing.  Still something I am learning.  
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Also on Saturday, lift 7 was ski on.
Reply | Threaded
|

Zippy
I agree Saturday was wonderful.
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
Yeah I just never seen it so packed.  Something about seeing cars circling the lot like it was a mall made us want to hike to get away from the crowd.  Loving the new gondola because it stays busy there and the high speed quad and then lift 7 and tomahawk are ski on.  I'll be getting there Saturday my normal time before the lifts open
Reply | Threaded
|

ChrisC
Went there Monday.  No crowds, no lift lines and great coverage considering the weather.  Started raining at 1pm, but we were done by then.  It was between Hunter and Belleayre because of discount deals and glad we made the right choice.  Dot Nebel was groomed nicely and you could fly down it.  Great way to end the year?  Hopefully not.  100 times better than Gore on Saturday.  Sometimes I wonder in years like this if the smaller mountains have the edge on snow quality.

Oh..and they said on a Facebook post that they will continue to blow snow if the weather permits as they still have their compressors.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Same experience yesterday including bringing 3 first timers up.   You picked the right day as Sunday was a new record at 6,000 validated skiers.  
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
I was there, still no line on lift 7. So we lapped that the whole time.  The first few runs had some nice soft turns then we made the best of the icy trails
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by ChrisC
ChrisC wrote
Oh..and they said on a Facebook post that they will continue to blow snow if the weather permits as they still have their compressors.
I think they learned after last year that snowmaking int March may be important. I'm glad they made this decision. This shows that ORDA does care about being resilient to climate change and providing a good product for spring skiing.

Last year they could only make snow after the big warm up with fan guns with O/B compressors and a few construction compressors (185 CFM) that could run a handful of low-e gun.

This year it's full send!
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

ChrisC
This post was updated on .
From March 30, 2004 via the Wayback Machine web archiver.  Check out Belleayre conditions from 14 years ago.  Why does it have to be current conditions posted in this forum?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Skiing Belleayre today, Soft snow but things are really thin around certain areas. After this next rain they'll have to blow to fill spots in .
  Rain holding out glad to get in a,ski day.

Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
If anybody heads to Belle before the weekend please report conditions. Wondering how they are holding up
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Great day at Belleayre today. Just pretending it's actually April.

Love this view.

Today I spoke with a girl in the pro shop and she claims that since the installation of the gondola, weekend business has doubled.

I won't post pictures of the bad spots because there weren't many of them but all I can say is that if they want to keep everything connected together, they should plan on making some more snow in key locations.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Snow is great. Crowds are ridiculous. Supercheif is down so there are actual lines at Tomahawk and 7.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
This post was updated on .
Brownski wrote
Snow is great. Crowds are ridiculous. Supercheif is down so there are actual lines at Tomahawk and 7.
My friend with a MAX Pass was at Belle for three hours this morning.  Got there early and parked mid-mountain.  Enjoyed the snow but she and husband were glad to get away as more people continued to show up.  Especially without all the lifts running.

They drove from CT.  Made the decision to make the drive because they checked out Belle for the first time in Dec.  Without the MAX Pass, doubt they'll be going again any time soon.

EDIT: at least some of the latecomers had been unhappy with the crowds at Windham on Sat.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Fixed the super chief just in time for 7 to go down. Not sure if they ever actually closed the gondola but it was immobile for a while and just crawling for quite a bit after that. On my seventh or eight ride on the Tomahawk, it slowed to a crawl and the liftie at mid station started telling everybody to get off there. We're throwing in the towel now- not because of the crowds or lifts. We're just done. Tremendous day. I assigned junior to write TR.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
First time at the Belle and it was great. It was very crowded unfortunately, especially at the Super Chief so didn't ski that pod too much. Seneca had great zipperline bumps by mid-morning. Lapped that and Dreamcatcher Glades most of the day. Great snow everywhere.

Wanted to get a couple more runs in on Seneca but then Tomahawk went down. Thought about going to the Gondola but with everyone going down there due to the lift being down I knew lines would be crazy. Called it a day after 5 hours of solid bump and tree skiing and made the 3 hour trek home.

Between today and yesterday at Platty, solid weekend of skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Seneca was fun.  Platty was awesome Sat.  
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Belleayre is skiing the best I have ever seen it after getting about 40 inches in 10 days.  

The Glades are fully in play.   There were no lift failures this weekend that saw, but I left at noon.   They were also loading every other chair on lift 7.  

I also learned most 7 year olds are way too short for lift 7.  That ended with a bunch of laughs, so all good.  

I took my son in glades for the first time (after mountain explorer coach said he was good to go) . Two hours after I was in any of Belle's glades for the first time.   My prediction is my son will be better than me in less than 3 years.....
Reply | Threaded
|

Lateski
No doubt the Belle is in great shape and the back to back storms are a badly needed boost for the mountain.  For the hour or so I was in the Discovery lodge today you could see they were doing a brisk business selling season passes for next season.  
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Lateski wrote
No doubt the Belle is in great shape and the back to back storms are a badly needed boost for the mountain.  For the hour or so I was in the Discovery lodge today you could see they were doing a brisk business selling season passes for next season.
Did you hear any comments about the fact that the MAX Pass connection is gone?
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 19