371 messages Options
1 ... 13141516171819
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Belleayre Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
How was it today?  Pics looks good, looked like they left some ungroomed.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Zippy
I would also like a report!
Reply | Threaded
|

Bandit
I was up on Tuesday, it started snowing hard around 2, it was excellent. My school didn’t close on Weds so I had to go in for the kids instead of enjoying the powder day! Heard it was great weds.

My wife is there now says it’s great everything is in play. I’ll be there tomorrow and Sunday!
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Belle was super sweet on Saturday. The natural snow trails (Cathedral Brook, Utsayana (sp?) were really fun.  I heard Dreamcatcher glade was great.  Belleayre glade was fun - I jumped in once with my son - but I am sure it was skied off pretty quickly.  

The snow quality Saturday was super fluffy.  I have never experienced that in the east.  I am assuming it was because of the really cold temps prior to Saturday.  

Parenting moment:  I gave my son a speech after he hucked a rock in the woods.  He turned to me with a puzzled look and said, 'daddy, I just thought it was a snow bump'.  What do you say to that?  I only smiled and laughed (and then explained the need to be aware and know your surroundings).  

Below is a picture of my guy on Cathedral Brook.  My son turned 8 on January 30.  Cathedral Brook earned its name this weekend.  Aside from powder and chopped up powder, there were three spots where you had to make a small hop over small streams.  

Also got a lot of enthusiasm from my 5 year old daughter.  Her instructor at Platty got her up to Powder Puff today, when I was sure it would be a carpet lesson.  (Thank you, sir!)

Hope everyone got some powder this weekend.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
Woke up to ice and rain in Lake George, headed South in the direction of home. Just foggy and light rain we we arrived at noon here at B. Skied from noon till just now. Soft snow , lots of fun.Coats not even wet. Did not let Mother Nature  tap  me out
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Good job on the audible Gunny. Looks like it was a decent day in the Cats.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
A FB friend was at Belle yesterday skiing the new pow, a decided to buy next year's midweek pass.

He was told there will be no mid-week pass next year.

Looks like non-holiday is the only pass that isn't full:

https://www.belleayre.com/pricing-and-products/season-passes
Reply | Threaded
|

Bandit
Yep, no more midweek only pass. $349 for Belleayre only blackout pass. Blackout periods are Xmas week, MLK weekend, and Prez week. Doesn’t seem too bad to me but the downside is the midweek pass used to work every midweek day, even the midweek holiday periods. And the blackout pass is a little more expensive, I think midweek only was around $260 last year but not definite.

It also appears that they’ve done away with the family pass discounts. Strange since they’re marketing themselves as a beginner family mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Bandit - can you explain how the family discounts worked?
Reply | Threaded
|

Bandit
Adult and junior Belleayre only season passes had special rates when purchasing at least two adults or an adult and a junior. They never had discounts on the ski 3 passes.

This link has the season pass info from a couple years ago. Check the bottom of the first page: Season pass info.
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
In reply to this post by Bandit
Bandit it was $289 the past few years. I think their logic is that the Non Holiday pass is only $60 more, but that does represent a solid 21% increase.

What they're missing is, and I would say this for most people who have bought the mid-week pass in the past, the edition of weekends is virtually worthless.... because if you can ski midweek why would you want to ski on Weekends.... Losing those midweek holidays, as you said, is far more important than gaining those weekends.

Why ORDA hasn't come out with a Midweek pass at $449 is beyond me, PEAKS midweek pass is $329 and I would gladly pay $120 more to stay in the NY mountain family.

Giving it some thought the past day this may be my wife and I's last year at Belle as pass holders, we are 33, Ive been skiing midweek there for nearly a decade. Things change, it's a fact of life, but I can spend my money else where.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Evantful where will you go?  Anyone else?
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
Harv, Right now it's looking like Hunter/PEAK, with their midweek pass for $329. It costs a little more, but there are less black out days and more importantly I would gain access to Mt Snow, Crotched, Atittash and Wildcat.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Conditions on Belle were very icy yesterday, and much better today (perhaps average conditions for the Cats).

Yesterday was exactly as described in someone's Platty update (Hoser maybe?  memory very short).

Today, my son and I bugged out at noon to converge with my family.  By noon, the conditions were starting to get spring-ish, and the mountain rebounded from Saturday's thaw/freeze.  We didn't get on anything too challenging, but the blue trails off Lift 7 were fun.  

Days 1 and 2 on our Orda 2019-20 passes . . . .

While I am often envious of you Mountain Men (and Women), one benefit of being on Long Island - I am probably going to pass by the beach this afternoon : )  While I live almost as far from an ocean beach as you can on Long Island, it is still 30 minutes away.  I am five minutes from Long Island Sound 'beaches', but being having grown up on the ocean side of Long Island, I don't consider those beaches (they are rocky and pebbly, while the south shore beaches have sand as nice as the Carribean.  The brownish brackish water, not so much.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Conditions were the best of the season this weekend.  Belle stated they got 18 inches - it certainly skied that way.  

Had a great time with my family.  The second creek on Cathedral Brook was getting a bit hairy by Sunday afternoon.  The ungroomws trails off the top ridge were great.  The limited glades we sampled were bottoming out on Sunday but looked good  Saturday.  

Ps - the J Skis seem to handle rocks well.  I heard a few hard scrapes but the bases were fine.  F4F01410-5650-498F-AE81-264337A2F42F.jpegE843F3FD-0C87-4E3C-B3D5-34B4230A57C0.jpeg
Reply | Threaded
|

xWeatherMan
Conditions were great today on all groomed runs, weather was beautiful. We had assumed that everything would get really spring-like but except for the flat sections near the gondola bottom conditions were winter like all day. Only did a couple of bumps which stayed pretty firm but very edge-able. We usually ski Gore but enjoyed the change and all the steep groomed runs were really fun. One thing that Belleayre does that Gore does not is leave bumps on half the trail on several trails. Not a ton of snow in the woods so no glades were open, will need to come back some time when they are in play.
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
.         Closing day was decent. Should be good hike to ski season this year on the upper mountain
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
Visit the hill on Friday November 14 2019
Definitely not ready to open lots of construction workers at mid hill. Need another several days of snowmaking for sure. Glad me and Jim visit and then had lunch at Last Chance in Tannersville NY my late dad favorite place when he ski at Hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
I called Friday after seeing here that folks were getting passes.

Here are the updates I know of:

1.  Double-double chair lift replaced by a carpet-loading fixed grip.  
2.  Passes being mailed out this week for Belle-based Ski3; some were mailed out last week.
3.  They are opening Friday after Thanksgiving due to lodge expansion (though I think they always open then).

Best,
D
Reply | Threaded
|

Scersk
DomB wrote
1.  Double-double chair lift replaced by a carpet-loading fixed grip.  
There's the answer to the question I asked some time ago! I was hoping for MORE SPEED!!!

That old double–double was… not inspiring.
1 ... 13141516171819