The author has deleted this message.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best Place to go Christmas Day?

PeeTex
Big Boulder?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Just checked, no night skiing.  Plus it's pretty small too compared to Jiminy Peak.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
You've been a good guy. Santa will pull through for ya.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Snowballs wrote
You've been a good guy. Santa will pull through for ya.
Uh, I don't know he would approve of many of my posts here.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Just checked, no night skiing.  Plus it's pretty small too compared to Jiminy Peak.
You better tell them not to stay open till 10PM then, check again
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
I think you will like Jimminy, you will have the place to yourself that day.  It's big enough to have a variety, think of a ridge type mountain rather than a peak.  The trails to skiers R from the "summit" are quite steep up top, the rest of the mountain is intermediate cruisers.  The mountain is a first class facility, they put a lot of money into infrastructure.  Have fun with your family!  If you go think about what it was like when there was only a T bar to reach the summit, a challenging ride up for sure.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Windham? They used to have night skiing on weekends/holidays. Maybe a bit closer than Jiminy.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I still think your beloved Mountain Creek will be able to make enough snow by then, but Trust me when I say that you would freaking love Jiminy Peak. It's a snoloco kind of mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
The couch
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Hey man, I've been skiing creek for years.  Don't last year's early opening and POW let you forget when creek normally opens.  Usually it is around the dec 17th or so. So hopefully some snow making temps prior to christmas...

Last year was my last year for a season pass there since it was only 35 mins or so from where I went to college. Plus the cheap pass. This year I will be hitting the Catskills and VT more.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Creek is OPEN top to bottom.  First day was yesterday at South.  North opens this afternoon.  They will be open 3pm to 9pm tomorrow and 10am to 4pm on Christmas Day.  I'm thinking that full hours start on 12/26.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Road Trip ! Who's in ? Coach ? PT ? Freeheelin ? Snowballs ?  

Good for you Sno.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
Snowballs wrote

Good for you Sno.
I don't know.  Coach wouldn't like it because the lifts have no padding, Peetex wouldn't like it because it isn't back country, freeheelin wouldn't like it because there are no glades.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
MC Too ! What a great idea.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I'm driving back from a family visit in Delaware Sunday. If Sno gets me a ticket, I'll stop by for a couple of runs.

Remember, I don't have a problem with Mountain Creek. I just think it sucks. Like the WNBA, I don't have a problem with its existence, I just choose to spend my money on enjoyable experiences rather than shitty alternative copies of those experiences.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
WNBA!
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Snowballs wrote

Good for you Sno.
I don't know.  Coach wouldn't like it because the lifts have no padding, Peetex wouldn't like it because it isn't back country, freeheelin wouldn't like it because there are no glades.
thats ONE reason
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
We went to Jiminy Peak on Christmas Day.

We arrived at 12:30, got lift tickets, booted up and had lunch.  A brief description of the place is that it is a relatively simple layout with many steeper trails going down a ridge and some easier cruisers going to looker's right of the ridge.  All these trails are accessed by the 6-pack Berkshire Express as well the Summit Triple and Whitetail Quad which weren't running today.  There is also a double chair called the Grand Slam Chair which serves as the race lift and terrain park lift on the lower lookers' right portion of the ridge.  We took that lift a few times to look at the Alpine Slide which I left some skin on this past summer.  There is also a second peak called Widow White's Peak, but that was closed today.  The place is really built up with a strip mall type village at the base and plenty of slopeside condos.  All the base area facilities are nice, new, and well kept which is the way I like things and there were pretty good food options for a ski area.  As a whole, the place has a similar vibe to Windham and many of the trails ski similarly.  

Now for the actual skiing.  We got on the 6-pack lift by 1:15.  That lift was absolutely flying, way faster than I though it would be going considering the wind.  It got us up 1,150 vertical feet in less than 5 minutes with no wait whatsoever.  The trails are great for cruising which is just what we were looking for.  Cover was slightly thin with some bare spots in areas, but none that couldn't be avoided.  The only thing I was disappointed about was the fact that the entire east side of the mountain was closed while it had snowcover.  However, there was plenty of trails to keep us occupied and we decided that we would come back some time and ski those trails that were closed.  We took tons and tons of laps on each trail.  There was no line at the 6-pack and that really made a difference.  We just lapped that thing on almost every single run and probably broke 30,000 vertical.  Most of the trails open today were lit for night skiing, we we just kept on going after the sun went down.  We decided to have dinner at 4:45 and my mom called it a day then.  My dad and I decided to ski for a little longer and were going to quit at 6:30.  On what was going to be our second to last lift ride, there was a transformer explosion and most of the lights went out on the trails.  When we got to the top, they had road flares out to light up the unloading area.  Ski Patrol told us all to wait at the top till they fixed the lights.  In about 20 minutes they had restored power and the lights came back on, so we skied down and called that our last run.  It was weird to be leaving a mountain that had good snow and was still loading lifts (they are open till 10), but it was a longer drive back home and we had gotten a ton of skiing in.

Now the thing that I really was concerned about is if my mom would enjoy the day.  She is a much more casual skier than my dad and I and only goes max 5 times a season.  She likes to ski uncrowded, groomed blues that have good snow on them.  I was worried that the springlike conditions today would be a challenge, but she was fine on them.  She told me that she really enjoyed the day and thought it was a great way to spend Christmas.  Jiminy Peak has been on my radar for a while and I was glad I finally got a chance to ski it.  We will be back when we get the chance.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
snoloco wrote
Mountain Creek only had one trail open today as the other was going to be closed to preserve snow for tomorrow.  For this reason, I decided that my family should ski Jiminy Peak instead of one WROD at MC.  Here is how our day went.

We arrived at 12:30, got lift tickets, booted up and had lunch.  A brief description of the place is that it is a relatively simple layout with many steeper trails going down a ridge and some easier cruisers going to looker's right of the ridge.  All these trails are accessed by the 6-pack Berkshire Express as well the Summit Triple and Whitetail Quad which weren't running today.  There is also a double chair called the Grand Slam Chair which serves as the race lift and terrain park lift on the lower lookers' right portion of the ridge.  We took that lift a few times to look at the Alpine Slide which I left some skin on this past summer.  There is also a second peak called Widow White's Peak, but that was closed today.  The place is really built up with a strip mall type village at the base and plenty of slopeside condos.  All the base area facilities are nice, new, and well kept which is the way I like things and there were pretty good food options for a ski area.  As a whole, the place has a similar vibe to Windham and many of the trails ski similarly.  

Now for the actual skiing.  We got on the 6-pack lift by 1:15.  That lift was absolutely flying, way faster than I though it would be going considering the wind.  It got us up 1,150 vertical feet in less than 5 minutes with no wait whatsoever.  The trails are great for cruising which is just what we were looking for.  Cover was slightly thin with some bare spots in areas, but none that couldn't be avoided.  The only thing I was disappointed about was the fact that the entire east side of the mountain was closed while it had snowcover.  However, there was plenty of trails to keep us occupied and we decided that we would come back some time and ski those trails that were closed.  We took tons and tons of laps on each trail.  There was no line at the 6-pack and that really made a difference.  We just lapped that thing on almost every single run and probably broke 30,000 vertical.  Most of the trails open today were lit for night skiing, we we just kept on going after the sun went down.  We decided to have dinner at 4:45 and my mom called it a day then.  My dad and I decided to ski for a little longer and were going to quit at 6:30.  On what was going to be our second to last lift ride, there was a transformer explosion and most of the lights went out on the trails.  When we got to the top, they had road flares out to light up the unloading area.  Ski Patrol told us all to wait at the top till they fixed the lights.  In about 20 minutes they had restored power and the lights came back on, so we skied down and called that our last run.  It was weird to be leaving a mountain that had good snow and was still loading lifts (they are open till 10), but it was a longer drive back home and we had gotten a ton of skiing in.

Now the thing that I really was concerned about is if my mom would enjoy the day.  She is a much more casual skier than my dad and I and only goes max 5 times a season.  She likes to ski uncrowded, groomed blues that have good snow on them.  I was worried that the springlike conditions today would be a challenge, but she was fine on them.  She told me that she really enjoyed the day and thought it was a great way to spend Christmas.  Jiminy Peak has been on my radar for a while and I was glad I finally got a chance to ski it.  We will be back when we get the chance.
Glad you had a good time Snoloco, but jiminy peak is a joke. You're not paying for the tickets so it doesn't hit you the way the person who's paying gets hit. You're MUCH better off to go to the catskills or Southern VT if you want to travel far from home. MUCH better skiing at slightly higher, or the same price or cheaper. Jiminy is a half sized okemo with absolutely rip off prices for what they offer. Jiminy is a small hill, not a mountain like mt snow. Plus, NEVER go to jiminiy on a powder day, thet groom almost everything because their clientelle is people from nyc metro who can't be bothered to drive an extra little bit to real mountains in southern vt. If jiminy lowered their prices and left at least 25% of trails with pow from an overnight snowstorm, my viewpoint would change drastically.

Jimniy blows a shitload of snow, sp I'd be worried about MC if jiminy(which is WAY colder) has bare spots and barely any trails open.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)