Big Bubbles (6 or 8 pack) What Say You?

50 messages Options
Harvey Harvey
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Big Bubbles (6 or 8 pack) What Say You?

Not a fan of any chair bigger than a quad. Also not a fan of Unofficial, but:

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2018/12/15/big-sky-officially-opens-the-worlds-most-technologically-advanced-chairlift/

Somebody who thinks this is a good idea tell me why.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
marznc marznc
Reply |

Re: Big Sky Conditions

Harvey wrote
Not a fan of any chair bigger than a quad. Also not a fan of Unofficial, but:

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2018/12/15/big-sky-officially-opens-the-worlds-most-technologically-advanced-chairlift/

Somebody who thinks this is a good idea tell me why.
At big destination resorts like Big Sky, the only place and time there is any sort of a lift line is first thing in the morning at the base.  There are essentially two ways away from the main Big Sky base.  One heads up Andesite Mt., which is great as a quick warm up or on days when the upper mountain has low visibility or wind problems.  In the northeast, Andesite would be a good size ski are by itself with terrain for all levels, but mainly blue and black, groomers, bumps, and trees.  The other base lift accesses everything else.  The sooner people get spread out, the better.

The new chair is also the access to a fancy restaurant, and I think it will be used during the summer too.  Non-snow lift rides are social activities.  A family group of 4-6 can have more fun on the same chair instead of being split into two chairs.

I'm headed to Big Sky in late February.  Will be a big group there from another ski forum.  Although I picked my dates for my own reasons before that was set up.  Last time at Big Sky was in 2013.  Looking forward to the relatively new quads that are new to me, including Challenger and Shedhorn.  A side benefit of the new Ramcharger 8 for Andesite is that the old quad was move to replace the Shedhorn double that was very slow.

Does that help?
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

marznc wrote
At big destination resorts like Big Sky, the only place and time there is any sort of a lift line is first thing in the morning at the base.  There are essentially two ways away from the main Big Sky base.  One heads up Andesite Mt., which is great as a quick warm up or on days when the upper mountain has low visibility or wind problems.  In the northeast, Andesite would be a good size ski are by itself with terrain for all levels, but mainly blue and black, groomers, bumps, and trees.  The other base lift accesses everything else.  The sooner people get spread out, the better.

The new chair is also the access to a fancy restaurant, and I think it will be used during the summer too.  Non-snow lift rides are social activities.  A family group of 4-6 can have more fun on the same chair instead of being split into two chairs.

I'm headed to Big Sky in late February.  Will be a big group there from another ski forum.  Although I picked my dates for my own reasons before that was set up.  Last time at Big Sky was in 2013.  Looking forward to the relatively new quads that are new to me, including Challenger and Shedhorn.  A side benefit of the new Ramcharger 8 for Andesite is that the old quad was move to replace the Shedhorn double that was very slow.

Does that help?
At many resorts the only place you get a line is at the base in the morning.

I'd think that a gondola would be better than a chair to access a restaurant.

So it's cheaper than a gondola? This thing sounded expensive.
marznc marznc
Reply |

Harvey wrote
At many resorts the only place you get a line is at the base in the morning.

I'd think that a gondola would be better than a chair to access a restaurant.

So it's cheaper than a gondola? This thing sounded expensive.
The restaurant is small and pricey from what I've read.  Reservations pretty much required.

As I remember, the length to the top of Andesite is relatively short.  A gondola seems inappropriate but that's just a guess.  I know it would be very annoying to have to take skis off every time when lapping Andesite groomers.  I spent the better part of a day doing that during my first trip to Big Sky when I was doing a personal demo day.  There is an independent ski shop that is right off an Andesite groomer that also is the run out for some glades.

There was a gondola to the base of Lone Peak.  Plan is to build a new one in the next 5-10 years.

https://liftblog.com/gondola-one-big-sky-resort-mt/

Pretty sure a gondola vs a 8-seat bubble have different reactions to high winds.  But not sure which is better.  May not be relevant for Ramcharger since that base lift doesn't seem to have wind issues.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Re: Big Bubbles (6 or 8 pack) What Say You?

As a teleskier I'm not a fan of gondolas for the reason you mention. (If I was an alpine skier I would care a lot less).  That's why I'm a fan of the quads.  They load easily, and can put more people on the trails than you probably want.

Seems like the only upside of that thing is keeping groups of six or eight together.  These are high speed chairs, you're talking about a few minutes. Can you talk to seven other people at a time?  I love double chairs. Ski with a few others, and mix it up who rides with who. Get some one on one time. My wife and I have had some important convos on the High Peaks chair at Gore.

The way I understand it bubble chairs are usually a little better than gondolas for windhold, but not a whole lot. I'm guessing an 8-person bubble can get blown around. At Gore, the reason the new quad is not a bubble is because it serves much of the same terrain as the gondi and they didn't want their two primary lifts to be shut down at the same time.

I guess I should break this out.
marznc marznc
Reply |

Harvey wrote
As a teleskier I'm not a fan of gondolas for the reason you mention. (If I was an alpine skier I would care a lot less).  That's why I'm a fan of the quads.  They load easily, and can put more people on the trails than you probably want.

Seems like the only upside of that thing is keeping groups of six or eight together.  These are high speed chairs, you're talking about a few minutes. Can you talk to seven other people at a time?  I love double chairs. Ski with a few others, and mix it up who rides with who. Get some one on one time. My wife and I have had some important convos on the High Peaks chair at Gore.

The way I understand it bubble chairs are usually a little better than gondolas for windhold, but not a whole lot. I'm guessing an 8-person bubble can get blown around. At Gore, the reason the new quad is not a bubble is because it serves much of the same terrain as the gondi and they didn't want their two primary lifts to be shut down at the same time.

I guess I should break this out.
I don't like gondolas in general.  But can be a nice alternative on a frigid day.  I'm at Sunday River, which has a chondola with 6-seater chairs.  Seems to work out well.

It's not about talking to 7 other people.  It's about keeping a group together.  In addition to multi-family get togethers at Big Sky, there are a fair number of ski clubs that spend a week there on a regular basis.  I don't like skiing with more than 3-4 others, but there are plenty of people cruising Big Sky groomers who like the social aspect of a skiing vacation.  One day my two ski buddies and I ended up eating lunch at the same place as a ski club of seniors from New England.  Must have been over 40 people.

Just read the full article about Ramcharger 8 on Liftblog.  Caught the fact that "Big Sky plans to introduce three Omega V gondola cabins to the lift for winter 2019-20.  Two will be dedicated dining cars, allowing guests to sit around a table installed in the cabin for a premier dining experience.  Another car will be reserved as a VIP cabin.  The CWA gondola cabins will be the first of their kind in North America."  So in fact this is a lift that can handle chairs and cabins.  My guess is that the cabins would be used during the summer when the lift will run slower than it will during the ski season.
Z Z
Reply |

If skied Killington this past week and while the new bubble 6 pack is comfy it is stopping a lot.  The best lad lift was very slow and cold.  This one seems excessive.  A bubble HSQ would have worked.

They put a couple tunnels in to eliminate all the intersections on Snowdon now that they are expecting more traffic with this lift.  Probably a good idea but seems kinda amusement park like and not natural
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
Harv, you need to come out west and experience some of our mega resorts to see why this sort of thing makes sense. These places are WAY bigger than Whiteface or Killington. Big Sky is MASSIVE. That chair looks pimp AF to me if it's getting people up and out of a base area or accesses a huge amount of terrain. Jus sayin.
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

You really need to break out of your bubble man. EC skiing is cool and all but........come on now!
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
 seems kinda amusement park like and not natural
Yeah, that was my reaction when I saw the plans last year. Snowdon isn’t a challenging section at all but it use to be pretty chill. Seems like it’ll be more like Ramshead and Snowshed now
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller