COVID 19 impact on skiing

581 messages Options
123456 ... 59
Johnnyonthespot Johnnyonthespot
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: COVID 19 impact on skiing

Yeah, I'm kind of proud of myself for that one. It's like high fiving the door. Really high.
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

My gal is a travel agent that works for one of the largest agencies in the world and I guess sales are down 35% for the month.

Diseases like this are going to have much more far reaching impacts than a lot of people may realize. With a warming climate and an ever growing population there’s going to be a lot more of this every year.

The coronavirus scare may be being blown out of proportion by the media but with a two week incubation period it’s definitely alarming, especially for those with a newborn or the elderly.
Benny Profane Benny Profane
Reply |

I'm planning on driving west in a week or two, but, this is a fluid situation, so every day it's something new. I mean, who would have expected just a month ago that all skiing in northern Italy would be shut down, season over? I'm driving not to avoid planes, but to save money on a rental car and bring a lot of stuff. Dont relish the drive, but, first world problem.
Word from Summit County, where I'll eventually end up, is that crowds haven't diminished (Spring Break). I'm really hoping that isn't the case in a few weeks, but who knows. I have a friend who is in Taos right now. Again, normal crowds (drivable from Texas and Denver), and both flights from Newark full.
funny like a clown
Z Z
Reply |

Info on the incubation period

There were 181 confirmed cases with identifiable exposure and symptom onset windows to estimate the incubation period of COVID-19. The median incubation period was estimated to be 5.1 days (95% CI, 4.5 to 5.8 days), and 97.5% of those who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days (CI, 8.2 to 15.6 days) of infection. These estimates imply that, under conservative assumptions, 101 out of every 10 000 cases (99th percentile, 482) will develop symptoms after 14 days of active monitoring or quarantine.

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2762808/incubation-period-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-from-publicly-reported
warp daddy warp daddy
Reply |

Are ANY of you medical professionals??  Nope ,didn't think so .

Here is a truism: Opinions are Like Assholes, Everybody's got one .

Listen to medical scientists , NOT bs on a ski forum

Reply |

In reply to this post by Z
I’m not sure how reliable this source is but.....

3 days outside of a host while sitting on a fomite is pretty insane.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3074351/coronavirus-can-travel-twice-far-official-safe-distance-and-stay
Reply |

In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
Are ANY of you medical professionals??  Nope ,didn't think so .

Here is a truism: Opinions are Like Assholes, Everybody's got one .

Listen to medical scientists , NOT bs on a ski forum
Hey, I’m remaining as skeptical as anyone but nature has a way of balancing things out.

So is it all just media hype or might we be sitting on a cry wolf type of scenario where the damn is really going to blow this time?
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Everybody calm down. WD speaks sense today. My iPhone didn’t capture this perfectly. There was some blue and darker reds mixed in but this is still pretty. Everything is going to be ok, eventually.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply |

This reminds me about the theme and overall message of the walking dead series.

marznc marznc
Reply |

In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
I’m not sure how reliable this source is but.....

3 days outside of a host while sitting on a fomite is pretty insane.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3074351/coronavirus-can-travel-twice-far-official-safe-distance-and-stay
Good to be skeptical about news coming out of China for a little while yet.  Plus that "study" was just based on one person who rode a bus.

The idea of a virus surviving on surfaces for 2-3 days is not new.  That's why airlines are talking about how they clean all surfaces on their planes every night.  And hospitals throw away a lot of stuff instead of trying to clean them.

I'm not a medical professional, but I am a retired research statistician married to a scientist.  Been reading assorted sources from around the world, including the CDC and WHO info.
123456 ... 59