1234567 ... 30
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: COVID 19 impact on skiing

Jon951
Jon951 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
My wife is a RN in our local hospital, she works right along side MD's all day long. According to them (RN's and MD's) this is being blown way out of proportion. Wash your hands. You know, good personal hygiene.
My wife is a 37 year veteran Med Tech working for RWJ Barnabas, specializing in Immunology. She states same as above in terms of this being blown out of proportion, barring the infirm, the elderly, and folks with compromised health, i.e., the man who passed yesterday from NJ. But don't get me wrong...you won't see me on any commercial flights, cruise ships, or indoor stadium venues.
Forgot to mention....
The real threat here is the potential for the virus to mutate down the road and come back with a vengeance. Yes, it will take its toll on folks in in its current form, but if it mutates as many viruses do, an exponential leap in cases and death toll can result. Not trying to go to the dark side or ruin anyone's evening, but this is the factual reality of the situation. Lets hope the virus stays in its current form and we get past the first hurdle, in hopes it ends there.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
That happened in 1918. Calmed down in the summer, and killed millions in October.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
Benny Profane wrote
That happened in 1918. Calmed down in the summer, and killed millions in October.
Yup
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Did it mutate?
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
TheGreatAbyss wrote
Did it mutate?
Viruses mutate constantly. Most mutations are not viable and actually work against the virus.

As for your local RN saying this is being blown out of proportion, sorry but they aren’t experts on this.

Go read some information from experts on infectious diseases.

This isn’t the fucking flu. Read some scientific explanations about viruses and disease. Understand the math that experts are doing.

The next time someone tells you this is a bad flu remind them that HIV (a virus) causes bad flu symptoms for a couple weeks after contraction. Then frequently all symptoms go away - often for 10 or more years. Then the virus hits back wirh a vengeance and the subject moves into full blow AIDS (the disease).

This isn’t the flu. It’s a disease called SARS-CoV-2 that’s caused by the virus COVID-19. Experts don’t even completely understand this yet.

Remember - the plural of anecdote is not data. Same concept applies here - read some reliable information, not propaganda, or opinions of non-experts.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
billyymc wrote
the plural of anecdote is not data.
Awesome.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Harvey wrote
billyymc wrote
the plural of anecdote is not data.
Awesome.
Not an original Harv!

One other important piece of data that makes this much more serious than influenza is that wirh the flu, rates of hospitalization are well under 1% of cases. So far with COVID-19 it’s estimated at 10-15%. That rate, wirh the projected rate of transmission, will overwhelm our health care system
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Then frequently all symptoms go away - often for 10 or more years. Then the virus hits back wirh a vengeance and the subject moves into full blow AIDS (the disease).
So we all have only 10 more years left?!

Better make every turn out there count!
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yo Willy
Are you an expert? You certainly pretend to be one on here. What qualifies you over an RN or a MD.

Are you a fucking  big deal or something?
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
campgottagopee wrote
Yo Willy
Are you an expert? You certainly pretend to be one on here. What qualifies you over an RN or a MD.

Huge deal he is. Bigly....
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Yo Willy

Don’t be so offended Camp. You always resort to diminutizing my user name when you get defensive and your childish petty side comes out.

I’m not an expert. But neither is the average RN. I’m not belittling nurses. I’m just saying that there are true experts in infectious diseases out there, scientists, people who have been on the front line of outbreaks worldwide. These people are telling society to take this seriously. That while it can have flu like symptoms, it is NOT the flu and should not be dismissed as such.

For health care professionals with no or little experience in infectious disease outbreaks to walk around telling people this isn’t a big deal when actual experts say it is is just irresponsible. Overstating ones expertise and knowledge is common human tendency but right now it’s important to not do that
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
While there has been some great skiing this season (most of my 14 days so far have been great!)....this season’s weather hasn’t been great.  Abnormal?  Maybe....but six or seven seasons ago the spring was a total washout by March 17.  We’ll make it further than that this year.

Cheer up, Buttercup, there will be at least a few good spring days ahead.....if COVID-19 doesn’t get in the way!
Damn right I'm gonna get some good skiing, because I'm driving to Colorado next week.

Two passes in Vermont this year and I barely cared.
Benny
There was a big Nor’easter feb 7.  It has to be to hit WF.  Vt nh Maine had several others that were farther East
2 weeks ago we had 3 feet of lake effect at WF
The last 2 months of this season have been really great up here

Mid March always is the start of corn season around here.  I’m looking forward to it
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
All I know is that suddenly I can’t stop touching my face
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
billyymc wrote
The next time someone tells you this is a bad flu remind them that HIV (a virus) causes bad flu symptoms for a couple weeks after contraction. Then frequently all symptoms go away - often for 10 or more years. Then the virus hits back wirh a vengeance and the subject moves into full blow AIDS (the disease).

This isn’t the flu. It’s a disease called SARS-CoV-2 that’s caused by the virus COVID-19. Experts don’t even completely understand this yet.
See Camp - I’m so not an expert that I reversed the disease and the virus by accident.

That’s a good example of why I don’t get my information here, but from expert sources instead
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I mean, think about it.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
I was at Mt Snow today wirh my daughter - she saw a guy wearing a face mask while skiing
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Is it possible that the ORDA mountains could be closed by the state early this season? "State of Emergency" type stuff...
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think it's quite possible.

Not saying it's the deciding factor, but there's not much money to be made at this time of year, and money is going to be tight.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
1234567 ... 30