classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
581 messages Options
123456 ... 30
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: COVID 19 impact on skiing

JTG4eva!
In general, I get why some college campuses are doing online through the end of the month (at least to start) because students have been home or elsewhere while on break.  Several weeks post break would give symptoms time to develop if they were exposed.  If coronavirus spreads further during that time I could easily see schools finishing the semester online.

With my son at Plattsburgh I’ve been wondering....and I bet you are right, there could be a SUNY-wide move to online if they go there.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yep. I get it too. SU made it a point to say the only reason they are doing it is simply because of spring break. They can't control where students go therefore it makes sense to go online for a while. They didn't say for how long, just that this is purely precautionary. Totally sucks for those kids who are seniors.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
campgottagopee wrote
You can add SU to the list of schools going to online courses. Spoke with a couple SUNY Cortland kids this morning, they feel all SUNY schools will soon be following suit. Both of them feel as though this is foolish as well as they are upset they can't be on campus if it happens. This is their last semester so I can certainly understand where they are coming from.
If you read reliable sources:

1) the number of confirmed cases is maybe around 10% of what’s actually out there based on math models based on similar outbreaks.
2) the increase curve is exponential.
3) the US is doing almost no testing compare to other countries. South Korea should be our model
4) by the end of April our health care system will be overwhelmed.

Even the low end projections are alarming. Our best course is to slow the spread. But many people still think this is no big deal.
It’s a big deal, no doubt, and should be taken seriously.  

And there is no disputing your numbers.  I have no doubts with projections I’ve heard that as much as 60% of the world population will eventually be infected with COVID-19.  Beyond that, in the future we will have cold, flu, and COVID-19 seasonally.

What those numbers don’t show is that most of those infected will probably never even know they were infected.  This isn’t the pneumonic plague.  We do, however, have to take this seriously and get it under control because there are at risk segments of the population  that could experience high fatality rates.

Just my relatively uninformed take.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Keeping my comments on college campuses and my son on topic, Plattsburgh going to online would impact my son’s ski season (what’s left of it) and reduce the value of his WF season pass because he’d get less spring days at WF in if taking classes online from home.  Small price to pay if it helps keep him corona-free.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
JTG4eva! wrote
Keeping my comments on college campuses and my son on topic, Plattsburgh going to online would impact my son’s ski season (what’s left of it) and reduce the value of his WF season pass because he’d get less spring days at WF in if taking classes online from home.  Small price to pay if it helps keep him corona-free.
Boom! Class work on the lift rides and from the lodge. Spend the whole spring at WF.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
witch hobble wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
Boom! Class work on the lift rides and from the lodge. Spend the whole spring at WF.
If they refund his unused room and board then maybe we can get him a room somewhere near Wilmington/Placid!  Gotta sleep at night....
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Still not letting it impact my skiing but I’m re-routing my sales calls to avoid New Rochelle.  I’m not very impressed that the containment zone doesn’t actually prevent people from traveling in and out.  I’m expecting the next zone to be imposed in Pomona which is also nearby me but easier to avoid since I have no customers or other reasons to go there.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
I would think that 50 degree rain would affect one's late ski season much more than a virus.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Benny Profane wrote
I would think that 50 degree rain would affect one's late ski season much more than a virus.
It would certain affect the quality of skiing and available terrain....but that’s always true of spring.  I know you are all about real powder, but spring turns can be some of the best of the season.  Bad enough that the early warm weather will rob us of that, but coronavirus could steal days, too!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
not trying to stoke fear just wondering what people are thinking - I think it way safer to be outside than inside
From what I understand, viruses thrive in cold, dry environments, so staying out of the gondi is prob a good idea.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
JTG4eva! wrote
I just don’t think the crowd levels at WF this weekend, which would have been about what they were regardless, are indicative.  Smoke Signals had the typical “3 Hour Wait” on Saturday night!
Lots of hockey folk in town this past weekend impacting numbers at WF would be my guess.

Virus maybe, but as stated previously, what better place to be than outdoors in open air riding a chair in a mostly low density populated area, staying away from the beaten path of others to the greatest extent possible? Avoiding the lodge is certainly an option, but I get it, the general population utilizes the lodge and its facilities for comfort and convenience.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
My wife is a RN in our local hospital, she works right along side MD's all day long. According to them (RN's and MD's) this is being blown way out of proportion. Wash your hands. You know, good personal hygiene.
My wife is a 37 year veteran Med Tech working for RWJ Barnabas, specializing in Immunology. She states same as above in terms of this being blown out of proportion, barring the infirm, the elderly, and folks with compromised health, i.e., the man who passed yesterday from NJ. But don't get me wrong...you won't see me on any commercial flights, cruise ships, or indoor stadium venues.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Still not letting it impact my skiing but I’m re-routing my sales calls to avoid New Rochelle.  I’m not very impressed that the containment zone doesn’t actually prevent people from traveling in and out.  I’m expecting the next zone to be imposed in Pomona which is also nearby me but easier to avoid since I have no customers or other reasons to go there.
Our youngest son is living in close proximity to New Rochelle and is supporting his "boss" who lives in the "zone" in New Rochelle. He (son) comes home to our house in NJ every weekend...told my wife I'm getting outta dodge before he shows up at our house Friday night.

He works in numerous hospitals in the Bronx and Manhattan and has already been told by some, restrictions for his entry are in affect since he is a rep and not a hospital employee.

Told my wife I need to head to LP to remove myself from potential infection. She's working the weekend and not too happy with my plan. Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm not fearful of contracting virus and dying,,,more like don't want to deal with losing ability to work and function at normal capacity and do everything I can to avoid contracting this creeping crud.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=creeping%20crud
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Jon951 wrote
I'm not fearful of contracting virus and dying,,,more like don't want to deal with losing ability to work and function at normal capacity.
That's the whole ball of wax right there. Or most of it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
JTG4eva! wrote
With my son at Plattsburgh I’ve been wondering....and I bet you are right, there could be a SUNY-wide move to online if they go there.
This was just announced! All of SUNY will be moving online effective March 19.

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/politics/2020/03/11/suny-cuny-switch-online-classes-due-coronavirus/5022768002/
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
JTG4eva! wrote
Benny Profane wrote
It would certain affect the quality of skiing and available terrain....but that’s always true of spring.  I know you are all about real powder, but spring turns can be some of the best of the season.  Bad enough that the early warm weather will rob us of that, but coronavirus could steal days, too!
Like this season is normal? It's 3/11. It should be snowing a lot. This is the snowiest month, on average. It rained again, yesterday. Isn't that like the tenth time for rain since Thanksgiving? And, I was thinking, maybe I haven't been paying attention. Have we had a good nor'Easter this season? No, right? Not one. Awful season. I've done over a hundred miles on the bike down here in Ct. The last few weeks. Over four rides, and theres no junk on the roads. They're in awesome shape. It's like winter never happened.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
While there has been some great skiing this season (most of my 14 days so far have been great!)....this season’s weather hasn’t been great.  Abnormal?  Maybe....but six or seven seasons ago the spring was a total washout by March 17.  We’ll make it further than that this year.

Cheer up, Buttercup, there will be at least a few good spring days ahead.....if COVID-19 doesn’t get in the way!
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
JTG4eva! wrote
While there has been some great skiing this season (most of my 14 days so far have been great!)....this season’s weather hasn’t been great.  Abnormal?  Maybe....but six or seven seasons ago the spring was a total washout by March 17.  We’ll make it further than that this year.

Cheer up, Buttercup, there will be at least a few good spring days ahead.....if COVID-19 doesn’t get in the way!
Damn right I'm gonna get some good skiing, because I'm driving to Colorado next week.

Two passes in Vermont this year and I barely cared.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
SUNY (Plattsburgh at least, I suspect the whole system) just went distance learning for the remainder of the spring semester.  No on-campus classes, but the dorms will remain open....so students can continue to live on campus if they want.

So, if my son wants to live up there to maintain access to WF he can.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
If anyone wants to play hooky and go skiing tomorrow or Friday, let me know. (We'll blame the Coronavirus)
I don't rip, I bomb.
123456 ... 30