classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
581 messages Options
12345678 ... 30
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: COVID 19 impact on skiing

PeeTex
I’m ok with that, warm weather is coming fast this year and I think I’m just about done. I had plans to ski only a few more days this season anyway and they may all be ski tours if ORDA shuts down.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by billyymc
LOL
Ok Willy you aren't an expert, glad that's been made clear. However, being that you are a big deal, again I ask, what makes you a better source than our local RN's and MD's. Is it because you read articles on the internet? That was my original question.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
LOL
Ok Willy you aren't an expert, glad that's been made clear. However, being that you are a big deal, again I ask, what makes you a better source than our local RN's and MD's. Is it because you read articles on the internet? That was my original question.
I'll reply once, then I"m done with this.

I didn't say I"m a better source than anyone. However, your "local" RN or doctor has not dealt with outbreaks like we're currently seeing. That's not to trivialize nurses or doctors, it's just a fact. It's also a fact that they do tremendously valuable work, and will be much more in harms way than the average citizen as we work through this.

Try and apply some logic and reasoning here Camp, and not be emotional about it. There is good, reliable, expert information to be had out there. And there is also a lot of less reliable information. Personally I'm consuming as much information from actual experts as I can. If you prefer to get the opinion of a local healthcare professional who hasn't done extensive research on infectious disease outbreaks, who hasn't been on the ground at the center of infectious disease outbreaks, who doesn't have a full grasp of the mathematical models projecting the spread and the impact on our healthcare system, and who hasn't yet encountered even a single case of this, that's your choice. Good luck.

So one last time, based on what actual experts are saying - this isn't the flu; this has a much higher rate of hospitalization than the flu; this has a higher mortality rate than the flu; and a tremendous amount is still unknown.

This is going to take some sacrifice on the part of everyone to slow the spread. I'm sorry I insulted you or someone close to you, but spreading "information" from people who have a feeling they know what's what isn't helpful. Look around you and see how the rest of the world is reacting if you think this is the common flu.

I'm not a big deal as you rightly point out. I'm not an expert on this, or much of anything for that matter. But I'm very good at knowing the difference between experts and non-experts. And yes it's true that not every medical professional is an expert on this. That's simple hubris talking.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Jon951
Jon951 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
My wife is a RN in our local hospital, she works right along side MD's all day long. According to them (RN's and MD's) this is being blown way out of proportion. Wash your hands. You know, good personal hygiene.
My wife is a 37 year veteran Med Tech working for RWJ Barnabas, specializing in Immunology. She states same as above in terms of this being blown out of proportion, barring the infirm, the elderly, and folks with compromised health, i.e., the man who passed yesterday from NJ. But don't get me wrong...you won't see me on any commercial flights, cruise ships, or indoor stadium venues.
Willy, this is what I'm talking about by saying it's being blown out of proportion. There's no need for the hysteria that we're seeing now. The media is making massive $$$$$ from this by pulling at heart strings when people die from this even though they've had underlying health issues.

Luckily for me I don't like big crowds to begin with so not much will change for me. I work with the public so I already wash may hands regularly to begin with. Again, not much change for me. What is new is that we are wiping down all door handles, flat surfaces, TV remotes here at work at 10, 2, and 4. That's even after a professional cleaning crew is here every night.

What do your experts of infectious disease  recommend that we do as to combat this virus.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Not saying it's the deciding factor, but there's not much money to be made at this time of year, and money is going to be tight.
Are late season operations ever about making money?  No, late season may bring in a little revenue, but it’s probably more about servicing season pass holders who fronted them the money.  
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
That's my point. The situation provides cover for something that is normally not acceptable.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Lots of popular late season events will be cancelled... Sugarloaf Reggaefest, Mount Washington Inferno Race, etc.

They haven't cancelled Winter Wondergrass in Squaw Valley yet, but that's probably coming.... So I might have to cancel that trip.

They haven't cancelled the PSIA National Team Tryouts yet, but that might be coming.... So I might have to cancel that trip.

On the bright side, I might have some more ski days coming up if they tell me not to come to the office for a couple of weeks.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Harvey wrote
That's my point. The situation provides cover for something that is normally not acceptable.
While on the airport train in Zurich this morning, I asked a United crew an airline version of the same thing -- will the Euro travel ban minimize the current red ink since they were flying empty planes, especially overseas? They weren't sure because most of the operating costs are fuel, which is very cheap right now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Harvey wrote
Yeah, this is my concern right now. I'm planning on driving out west in a little over a week, but I'm thinking that a lot of resort operators, led by MBAs at two large companies, will just pull the plug early and count their money during mud season, hoping that summer will be ok. Season is basically over in a week or two for most hills, so, why not? Stop the paychecks and energy bills early. This could actually make them a little money. Smart move in hard times.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Benny Profane wrote
 MBAs at two large companies, will just pull the plug early and count their money during mud season....Stop the paychecks and energy bills early. This could actually make them a little money. Smart move in hard times.
Yep. Smart for shareholders & higher-ups... Devastating for low wage workers - the people who suffer the most during every economic downturn.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Benny Profane wrote
 MBAs at two large companies, will just pull the plug early and count their money during mud season....Stop the paychecks and energy bills early. This could actually make them a little money. Smart move in hard times.
Yep. Smart for shareholders & higher-ups... Devastating for low wage workers - the people who suffer the most during every economic downturn.
Let's all go chill in the ADK then. Spend some money there.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Harvey wrote
I’m not sure it’s enough cover, but I could be wrong.  I think they still need to honor their pass holder commitment.  If they use this as an excuse to close early they should offer pass holders some kind of recompense....maybe a discount on next season’s pass.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Yeah, but, it's warm and rainy.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Modern social distancing in a nutshell!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
OK how about:

Harvey wrote
That's my point. Mountain management may think the situation provides cover for something that is normally not acceptable.
IMO zero chance there will be passholder compensation, unless they see low demand for next year's passes. I guess that could happen.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Harvey wrote
IMO zero chance there will be passholder compensation, unless they see low demand for next year's passes.
You are probably right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

Would be nice if they extended unused day ticket hanging off season passes we hold until end of next season. My fam has 3 of those day tickets unused at the moment.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Berkshire and Cat closed.

https://berkshireeast.com/the-resort/blog/statement-on-covid-19

Reaction on FB is "looks like a good excuse for lack of snow."
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Harvey wrote
Berkshire and Cat closed.

https://berkshireeast.com/the-resort/blog/statement-on-covid-19

Reaction on FB is "looks like a good excuse for lack of snow."
Obviously people who didn't read Jon Schaefer's statement.  But then I don't expect much from many people who comment on FB posts.  One reason I rarely venture there.

To our Berkshire East and Catamount Guests and Employees:

Berkshire East will close for the season today, Thursday, March 12 at 4pm and Catamount Ski Area will not reopen this weekend. COVID-19 has been discovered in the surrounding hill towns and multiple people are being quarantined. To be clear, no known Berkshire East or Catamount customers or employees have been effected by this illness, but as the GM of these businesses, I have a responsibility to my employees and my customers to act swiftly to contain any potential virus spread in areas that I can control.

In 2006, I was buried in an avalanche in British Columbia. While being buried in that tumble of snow the only thing I could think of was “this isn’t worth it…” This experience informs me now as the only thought that comes to me is, “no ski turn is worth a life.”

My role in this business was given to me by my father who loves being at the mountain every day. His demographics put him at a higher risk than others. If I can’t recommend that he visit his facility, how can I ask anyone else to do the same? Our staff is our family. Our guests are our tribe.

Thus, with conviction, we believe that our businesses can be leaders (however small) in beating back COVID-19 from its current beachhead by immediately closing for what remains of the winter season.

There simply is no benefit to remaining open.

The best science shows that this type of aggressive mitigation is both inevitable and overwhelmingly in support of the public good.

We urge other business leaders and our elected officials to follow suit in continuing to aggressively close down public spaces so we can proactively begin to get this insidiousness behind us.

We send the full weight of our prayers to the healthcare workers and their families who are on the front lines of this battle. As this illness spreads exponentially, we must all take immediate action to “flatten the curve” in order to allow our nations health care workers to make effective headway against the current caseload of COVID-19.

We shout from our mountain tops that you can make a thousand daily impacts by washing your hands, not touching your face, practice social distancing and simply sit back while doing everything in your power to stop the spread.

This is certainly an inconvenience to our customers and will result in major changes for our staff. None of this is going to be easy and we are passing into unknown territories. But like any good skier knows, you beat back challenging situations by pressing forward into them aggressively and decisively.

Lastly, this is personal, I’m related to medical professionals working in hospitals with active outbreaks. We shut down out of love and support for these people and the staffs in these hospitals.

We are confident in the future. We will announce a reopening date for our whitewater rafting, zip lines, aerial adventures, and biking in the coming weeks as guidance comes down from the CDC, the NIH and WHO.

Jon Schaefer
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I saw that and liked it!  :)  The comments I saw were before Jon's response.

Half the public is skeptical and enjoys being negative.

marznc wrote
But then I don't expect much from many people who comment on FB posts.
I thought it was smart of Jon to comment.
12345678 ... 30