85 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cat in CNY?!?!?

Snowballs
Banned User
bean valley wrote
Interesting political dynamic at work with these top-of-the-food-chain mammals....They've eyeballed, tagged, and picked up roadkill carcasses of numerous timberwolves but the governor steadfastly denies their presence. Interesting.
I wonder if this often repeated pattern isn't so the new animal has a chance to get established before people start calling for their elimination. Big predators worry people.

There was a very prolonged battle out west before wolves were reintroduced. It took decades. Elk people went cra cra. Interestingly enough, their presence in Yellowstone helped all animals, even the Wapiti.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Atten Scotty Jack....you're a woodsman. What do you think of these pics??? Could it possibly be a cat?
Reply | Threaded
|

bean valley
As someone said, too bad there's no head shot. That tail looks a bit off...
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Ok not much happening so........

MORE SASQUATCH STORIES !!!!!

Yes, peeps, it seems Whitehall, NY is the Sasquatch capital of.....well who knows. BUT many sightings are report from there. Sas crossing the roads. Sas in the woods, Even Sas out in the fields ! No reports of Sas signing any autographs yet. Stay tuned.

Also, a friend tells of a homeless person, who though somewhat out there, said he went to North Creek ( THIS SUMMER !!!) to get away from the world. While there, said homie hiked far back into the woods. There, he pitched his tent.

That night, when he was all alone, enveloped in total darkness, miles from nowhere, SAS struck !!!     SAS repeatedly banged on the trees with sticks, making all kinds of fearful noise. Frightened, Homie turned on his light and saw rocks flying thru the air !!! Yea, rocks !!! A very, very well know SAS attack technique. Sticks and Stones !!! SAS !!!

Hoo Boy !!! Homie was scared stupid. At first day light, he lit outta there leaving all behind.

So there you have it. Not only some very reliable Sasquatch stories but the etymology * of Sasquatch !

SAS = sticks and stones. Quatch = Iroquois word for attacks. So Sasquatch means he who attacks with sticks and stones !

* Camp, etymology means word origins.
Reply | Threaded
|

bean valley
Whitehall...uh-huh. Sasquatch walking the streets...whole families of them. Crazy!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
it seems Whitehall, NY is the Sasquatch capital of.....well who knows. BUT many sightings are report from there.
Makes perfect sense - that guy I saw at WF had a Whitehall baseball cap. This corroborates your hypothesis.

(Let's keep camp thumbing through his Websters).
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Sure it's Possible.

That left hind leg is strange. The ankle looks very skinny for a cougar. Leg looks coyote-ish.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
There are known Fishers in the area too....I'm starting to wonder if it isn's a Fisher at some weird angle
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
campgottagopee wrote
There are known Fishers....
Of some renown, eh ? Uh,,,,,Ah sure !,,, The Fishers, Mr and Mrs !,,,,, they live on Elm.

But wait,,, she's a real Cougar so you're back to the original hypothesis. SJ's checkin out her legs.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
coyote
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Coyote ? Y'all might as well be howling at the moon.

Cougar. It's stalking a Sasquatch that you just can't see cause Sas is wearing his ghillie suit. Geez !
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing

A co-worker brought this in today.     She and her husband are not very tech savy (nor am I for that matter)   She just got a cell phone 2 months ago.  She's not playing tricks, I had to show her how to email it to me.       She took a picture of this black cat off the neighbor's computer.  He has a game camera in his back wooded yard.  Black bears are mostly sighted.      DNR is excited, off the record of course.    

They measured the rock that the panther is standing behind, it is 4-0' across.  My guess is  the cat is about 2'-0 behind the rock,  so I would estimate the cat is about 3-4 feet long, nose to tail.   This is no bobcat or house cat.  Tail is the give away,in my view.  

I read some internet stories about other sightings in Md...DNR attributes them to zoo escapees.   However in my 25 years in this area, I have not heard one story about an escaping panther.     Guess the zoos keep that quite.  

Game camera was in a back yard, near Appalation Trail, 15 miles south of Pa.    
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
There are no pics of mountain lions or panthers in this thread.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
What are they then??
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot

I:) skiing. Your pic is a fisher cat maybe a large house cat.

I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot

Camp, the brush behind yours is too small to make that ML size. It looks more like a regular cat to me.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I don't think it's a house cat....I think it's a fisher too. Known fishers in the area
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I thought yours was a fisher, but the color looks way lighter than the pic I posted. What happened to its head? Lol. Oh well deer season is almost here...
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Johnnyonthespot wrote
  Oh well deer season is almost here...

WORD!!!!

First "work day" at camp tomorrow  
Reply | Threaded
|

bean valley
I posted early in this thread about a friend who had a photo of a 'mountain lion' in her backyard, one that she had purportedly shown to a DEC expert who ID'd it as a mountain lion. I finally saw the picture...it was quite obviously a coyote. I don't know who her expert is...maybe a janitor at the DEC building, but no-way it was a cat.