Cat in CNY?!?!?

85 messages Options
1234 ... 9
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Cat in CNY?!?!?

Quick back story....this pic was sent to me by my friend Pro, a mutual friend of ours captured this on one of his trail cams. It's NOT fake, it's the real deal.

The pic was sent to our local DEC. Their reply was "they don't exist in out area".....I'm certainly NO expert on cats, but man_0_man it sure looks like one to me. Too bad he didn't capture the head as that would be the tell all.

I sent the pic to a buddy of mine who works for DEC. He's the best woodsman, hunter, and wildlife expert that I personally know. Here's his reply: "Hmmmmm.... Yeah Cougars are a true "longshot". Not impossible but very unlikely unless released/escaped. Or maybe a true long range wanderer. The pic is interesting, too bad can't see more of the head. Although the tail is long like a cougar, the hair looks kinda long perhaps coyote....possible mange. Tough call. Sure does look like a big "cat".

I went on to ask him if it is a cat would it stick around with hopes of getting more pics or evenpossibly finding tracks: "Possibly could hang around due to the area it's in, especially if he's finding food. Likely a young  male. Prone to wandering and dispersing. Cougars consider large ares "home" ie. 10 sq miles or more"

Whatever it is, I sure hope he gets more pictures of it. I just thinks it's sooooo cool to think that this could be a cat in our area. I've heard of guys claiming to see them around here but I've never believed it......until now. It just might be possible.
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |

Re: Cat in CNY?!?!?

Do you know if he went out to look for tracks?  
Reply |

I asked, he didn't. My buddy and I are trying to figure out when we can go over there and look, possibly this Sunday we'll wander and see what we can find. The area is big....lots of swamp, hard woods, and hemlock. The pic is over a week old now so who knows what we'll find. Certainly worth a walk in the woods tho.
bean valley bean valley
Reply |

My neighbor in Brant Lake caught a photo of what she thought to be a big cat on the edge of her back yard a couple weeks ago...didn't know what it was so brought the photo to one of her friendly local rangers...sure enough, confirmed a cougar. My guess? a transient or perhaps someone's exotic gone feral. I
'd like to think it's the real deal...though I do run back there all the time and had way too many spooky moments when I lived in California.
ski2moro ski2moro
Reply |

In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Off topic, but could you please find out for me which camera took that photo.  I am looking for a security camera and this one looks like it takes amazing photos in the dark.
If you are having fun, you are doing it right.
Reply |

Not sure which exact one but it's one of these

http://www.wildgameinnovations.com/products/game-scouting-cameras.html

Hoser Hoser
Reply |

In reply to this post by ski2moro
I purchased a Bushnell from Amazon for a bit over $100 last year and it takes pix just like you see here.   Interesting to see what is around the yard at night.  Took it down for the Summer after I captured the propane tank being filled and 12 pic of the driver, followed by 27 of me mowing in circles.  It does what it is supposed to, and no issues in -20 weather using the lithium batteries as recommended
Telemark Dave Telemark Dave
Reply |

Yeah, none here in Ontario either.

http://www.thesudburystar.com/2014/07/29/trailcam-footage-of-a-cougar

Also one confirmed outside of Belleville, near Kingston, this Summer.  But I'm guessing Homeland security wouldn't allow them to cross over the St Lawrence to N.Y. No way.  Just like they keep the Mexicans from crossing the Rio Grande!  

Betcha there's always been cats hiding out in Eastern North America.  
bean valley bean valley
Reply |

There was an amazing story a couple years ago wherein DEC-types tracked a big cat (tracks, DNA traces, etc) as it traveled cross country from North Dakota to Connecticut(!) It was spotted locally (and ID'd) passing through a property on Truesdale Hill on the west side of Lake George.
I always wondered how it crossed the lake...must have looped through the village...anybody from LG missing a small pet???
Snowballs Snowballs
Reply |

In reply to this post by Hoser
That long and thick tail.... Puma !

Now the hunters may be hunted. BC skiers may encounter more BC than they want, Big Cat. The relatively fast approach of a BC skier may tend to startle kitty more so than a slow walker.

A friend of mine was backwoods camping in Pennsylvania. Very late at night two Bobcats were fighting right outside his tent. He said "Wholly @##$%^# ! What a ruckus !!!" He was really worried they'ld tumble right into the tent. He said it was very fierce.

There used to be Buffalo in these woods, the Eastern Woodland Buffalo. They were larger than the Plains Bison. The Iroquois cleared/burnt land between two of the Finger lakes so it would be grassland and somewhat of a natural " pen ". Many of the Buffalo grazed there and fed the Indians.

Tatonka! Tatonka !

There also used to be Loblaw Wolves. They were larger than the standard gray wolf. Not something to mess with. They'ld be a pack of trouble.
1234 ... 9