Ch-ch-ch-changes

31 messages Options
Harvey Harvey
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Ch-ch-ch-changes

We closed on our new house three weeks ago and just got in for the first time tonight. Its twice the size of our old house.  The whole downstairs is a huge kitchen.

Moving truck comes next Friday and we'll be out of my beloved old and modest house by the 16th.

Thursday will be the last time I walk to work.  End of a 30 year run.

Big changes, feels very weird.

Post your life changes here.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Sick Bird Rider Sick Bird Rider
Reply |

Re: Ch-ch-ch-changes

That is big. The new house sounds pretty nice, I think you'll get used to that quickly. The walk to work, that will harder. Can you ride a bike to work from the new place?
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Biking possible I suppose but not likely. Some decent MTB just a few yards away, I'll need to get another bike.

The new house is much more modern, not exactly my thing. We are going from 1935 to 1985.

Old kitchen:

New kitchen:

Personally I prefer the much less functional old style.

In 5 years, we'll move again, hopefully to the Adk, and balance will be returned.
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

Both look nice to me..
Good luck at the new place!!
"Peace and Love"
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

JasonWx wrote
Both look nice to me..
Good luck at the new place!!
That's what I was thinking as well.

Off for Sunday Funday bass fishing 😁
witch hobble witch hobble
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Old kitchen:

Personally I prefer the much less functional old style.
+1. Your old kitchen looks great!

My life change: sending a kid off to college in 11 days.  It’s pretty heavy.

......also slow motion trainwrecks like my metabolism continuing to slow and the resulting dad-bod, my brain turning to mush due to smartphone habit.
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

Since I dropped out of nursing school I’m now working as a crew leader for ACE and camping for 8 days straight and working out every day like a mad man. You could say I’m too old for this but I haven’t been in this good of shape in a long while now. I lost 20 pounds since dropping out! That school stuff felt like it was literally killing me, physically and mentally. I’ll be poor for the rest of my life but at least I’m me again.

The Museum fire burned up a lot of social trails and some system ones too in an area that I spent a lot of my time over the last 18 years. It also shut us down on the heart project for a few weeks too but that’s all ok. The social trails were at the end of their life spans and the legal ones needed to be rerouted as well so this is going to force the FS to get on that. There’s some opportunity in this fire for us local trail builders.

Nice looking homes there Harvey!
riverc0il riverc0il
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
Good luck on a smooth transition to the new home.

The problem with having more space at is that you use and fill the extra space. It is nice to have more space but you just end up with more junk scattered about. Some might say that is a discipline problem (true) but very few people have the discipline to avoid that trap.

We just closed out a storage unit that we've had for about eight years. We accumulated so much crap that we needed a storage unit, good grief. I'm currently selling off stuff that hasn't been used since it was put into the unit. It was nice not having to lug winter wheels down from the third floor twice per year but a small price to pay to get rid of stuff and save some cash.

I wish I could have major change in my life. I've grown way too stagnant. But I also have no ambition or vision for change. Haphazard circumstance will eventually better direct my trajectory, but it is a waiting game for me until then. Many people have desire but no means, I have the opposite problem.
marznc marznc
Reply |

In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
My life change: sending a kid off to college in 11 days.  It’s pretty heavy.
Mine moves into her first college dorm in a week.  Although since she's been at a boarding prep school in Boston, the bigger difference is that she'll be 200 miles away instead of 800 miles.  I may get in a few days of skiing in the NC mountains this winter.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by riverc0il
Thanks River.

Believe me I get the "stuff" thing.  It was part of my argument against the move. Bigger house bigger cost, mortgage, utilities, and furniture. Plus moving cost is a lot. I couldn't git er done.

There are some legit reasons we need a bigger house and we have been living in "my house" for a long time. And in five years I want to move to the mountains.  It was time to compromise.