273 messages Options
1 ... 11121314
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Voile Charger Love....

campgottagopee
tjf1967 wrote
Not around this neck of the woods, there is snow on the ground about 4 weeks per year...and its not 4 weeks in a row.

That's so true, and sad, and funny.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
campgottagopee wrote
tjf1967 wrote
Not around this neck of the woods, there is snow on the ground about 4 weeks per year...and its not 4 weeks in a row.

That's so true, and sad, and funny.
Right. Need to put it on the list for when I retire I guess
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
About 10 years ago or so, I purchased a pair of Alpina Lite-Terrain, scaled skis with a Voile three pin binding and some leather duck-billed boots.  Skis are kind of narrow but I found them for a good price. They are one of the best purchases I ever made.  As others have said, we don't get much more than 4 weeks of snow on the ground down here, but when we do, I can (and do) go out and ski in the local woods pretty much daily when we have it! (I NEED to quench the addiction anyway I can get it!).  Since they were relatively inexpensive, I go out in sketchy conditions sometimes and don't feel bad when I hit bottom.  Since then, I've been thinking about getting something fatter, like the Chargers or Rossi 110's or 125's.  (I am also interested in the SuperChargers for DH tele, but that's another post for another thread).

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Rossi has a newer fish scale “BC” ski out this year,  it looks the part, with noticeable front rocker, but it also seems a bit flimsy and weaksauce construction (that’s my impression from fondling them in store..).

Regardless, for maximum ROI, get the fattest versions FTW.  You won’t regret it, especially meadowskipping in low tide conditions.  Counterintuitive, but fat rockered skis keep you up on top of shark infested waters..

Maybe a 6” snow pack, and no sight of grass..
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Nice TD.

What is the name of the new Rossi? I couldn't find it wid de Googlz.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey wrote
Nice TD.

What is the name of the new Rossi? I couldn't find it wid de Googlz.
You probably neglected the term "nordic" in your search. These skis are well buried on the Rossi website. There is a fishscale 59, 89 and 100:
https://www.rossignol.com/us/rhiwc16-000.html

At least, I am assuming that this is the ski TD fondled.

Why they would call a ski the "100" when its dimensions are 88/60/78 is beyond me.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
About 10 years ago or so, I purchased a pair of Alpina Lite-Terrain, scaled skis with a Voile three pin binding and some leather duck-billed boots.  Skis are kind of narrow but I found them for a good price. They are one of the best purchases I ever made.  As others have said, we don't get much more than 4 weeks of snow on the ground down here, but when we do, I can (and do) go out and ski in the local woods pretty much daily when we have it! (I NEED to quench the addiction anyway I can get it!).  Since they were relatively inexpensive, I go out in sketchy conditions sometimes and don't feel bad when I hit bottom.  Since then, I've been thinking about getting something fatter, like the Chargers or Rossi 110's or 125's.  (I am also interested in the SuperChargers for DH tele, but that's another post for another thread).

^^^^^ this. I was thinking of posting something along the same lines but Marcski said it better and more authentically, since he lives in the low snow zone.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Here’s the link to the ski on the MEC site.  
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6003-565/BC-100-Positrack-Skis
The dimensions on the MEC site appear correct, they’re what’s on the ski at your store in town.
The actual ski is half-ass constructed, the tip does not have the “cap”extending down to cover the laminations,  even stranger is the bizarro cut out (that looks like it was done last in manufacturing)that I presume is for a skin attachment- what skins use a single clip on the front???  
Overall, I’m thinking these sad boys would suffer a tip delam the very first time they impacted with anything hidden or otherwise in the snow... nubbins,  granite sharks, voles..    😜
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
^ The MEC site makes more sense, and I would be more inclined to believe it then the Rossi site. It seemed loosely translated from the original French.

The notch is for skin attachment. The Voile Objective and other skimo skis have the same notch, the skins have a simple toggle thingie at the tip end.

Here is the skin for them:
https://www.voile.com/voile-super-lite-ski-skins.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Ok then.  At least the skins are Voile’s.   They’d probably be burlier than the Rossi skis.  I guess you get what you pay for.  I think I’ll start squirreling away $ for the day I have to replace my Charger BC’s.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
I have had my Objective BC's for 4 years now, and I love that ski for daily driver in the BC with low snow or packed conditions. They climb very well, turn like a dream, and are super light without being the Hyper layup.
Deeper conditions call for the V6 BC's and way deep the V8's. Remember gang, it's always a great day when you ski on Voile!!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Darkside Shaman wrote
I have had my Objective BC's for 4 years now, and I love that ski for daily driver in the BC with low snow or packed conditions. They climb very well, turn like a dream, and are super light without being the Hyper layup.
Deeper conditions call for the V6 BC's and way deep the V8's. Remember gang, it's always a great day when you ski on Voile!!
As in “It’s a Voile day!” 👊👍😎
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
The other night I took the time to do a +2 remount of the binders on my Chargers.   I’ve been skiing them mounted boot center to manufacturers ski center - as most people recommended, and for the most part has been absolutely fine for the last 5 years.  But I’ve often thought that they’d be less “Charger” and more “turner” with a more forward mount.  

Today proved my pondering correct.  Turning machines..  or at least, more turny  Chargers.  I’m a happy TD.

That’s a shot of more than a few turns down a 80’ high tee off on a golf course.  
Charger Love is back.
1 ... 11121314