1234 ... 20
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Craft Beer Thread

Z
This post was updated on .
Seems like we need a craft beer discussion thread. Post your beer finds, bars, beer fests etc here.

If you like hoppy beers you have to try Lake Placid Pub and Brewery's new seasonal - Admiral Nelson IPA which clocks in at 85 ibu's.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Craft beer thread

Face4Me
I knew even before I opened this message that you started this thread!!!!

Have you tried this?

http://www.kentuckyale.com/kentucky-bourbon-barrel-ale

It's one of the best beers I've ever had.

Next time you're down my way, there's a new place that opened that you'll really like. They don't brew their own, but they carry anywhere from 16 - 20 different beers on draft, and they constantly change what they have ... as in almost every time you go in there, it's different. They also sell tons of bottled beers as well. Very limited food menu, but very good beer!

It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
In reply to this post by Z
Had this while out with my wife last night. Liked it so well that I sought it out to have at home today. A reminder that the Germans do beer the best.

It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Face you got me pegged - skiing, golf, and good beer pretty much sums me up

I have not seen that Ky bourbon beer - sounds good

Ayinger is one of Germany's top brewers.  It's more of a craft brewer that most larger scale brewers over there.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
Tonight's refreshment...

much better draft than from bottle

It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by DackerDan
DackerDan wrote
Has anyone tried Tuckerman Brewing, Headwall Alt? Got friends in NH who will visit this summer, may ask them to bring a case if it is good.
I am a fan of a good Alt and the last time I had one was when I was in Duesseldorf, home of Alt beer. Alt is an interesting brew, it is one of the few German ales.
Long Trail is an Alt as well.  I have not had the Tucks one but heard it is good
Reply | Threaded
|

njadk
Coach Z wrote
Long Trail is an Alt as well.  I have not had the Tucks one but heard it is good
Has anyone had the Long Trail Triple Bag? The Double Bag is one of my favorites, and I just tried the Triple Bag a few weeks ago. You could certainly taste the 50% more bag, but I wasn't as blown as away as I would have hoped for a beer that was marketed in a 4-pack for almost $3 per bottle.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Coach Z wrote
DackerDan wrote
Has anyone tried Tuckerman Brewing, Headwall Alt? Got friends in NH who will visit this summer, may ask them to bring a case if it is good.
I am a fan of a good Alt and the last time I had one was when I was in Duesseldorf, home of Alt beer. Alt is an interesting brew, it is one of the few German ales.
I know I have had a long trail but not sure it was their Ale, the web site says is an Alt. I'll give it a try.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
Have you guys tried PBR?  It comes in cans and convenient 12 packs.

Alright all you beer snobs, be honest: How many comic book conventions have you attended in the past and when was the last time you played Dungeons and Dragons?     I know you're all the same guys.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Noah John wrote

Alright all you beer snobs, be honest: How many comic book conventions have you attended in the past and when was the last time you played Dungeons and Dragons?     I know you're all the same guys.

LMFAO!!!

Right on---they come in POUNDERS too

To be perfectly honest the only 'craft" beer I like is Moose Island Ale from PJ's. Other than that just give me a pounder.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Evidently Harv does not consider beer drinking to be a sport so he moved this to off topic from summer sports.  Oddly enough if you add woodchucking to beer it becomes a sport???

Once I moved from quantity just to get buzzed to quality I have not touched a PBR or Bud.  That period of my life just happened to coincide with the rise of craft beer.  Commercial swill is just a buzz delivery method made by soulless huge corporations that have to advertise their product with the same methods used to sell car insurance. Ever notice how close Geico commercials are to Bud commercials?

The reason Moose Island is liked by PBR drinkers is that it has corn in it. Very few craft beers do this.  Most of the ABV in commercial beer comes not from barley but corn as its way cheaper than barley.

Craft beer is made with pride and care by artisans.  If that makes me a beer snob so be it.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by DrSkimeister
DrSkimeister wrote
Tonight's refreshment...

much better draft than from bottle

I do like the Union Jack, Doc and it is a well balanced IPA, but I tend to like my IPA's with a bit of a stronger hop finish.  Ithaca Beer Co.'s Flower Power is delicious and quite inexpensive. I get 64 oz growlers for 13.99.   Also, Oskar Blues' Deviant Dale's (16 oz tallboy cans at $15/4-pack) has been my go to IPA for quite some time.  I think I've become a bit of an IPA snob.  

Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote

haha was waiting for the beer snob thread title backlash! always been and always will be a beer drinker, but a pretty non-discrimnatory beer dinker - i like lights, darks, micros, macros, cans, kegs etc. (within reason). after no sign of the beer cart girl after 4 holes yesterday i'd put those 2 cans of coors light up aginst ANY micro! i gotta say there's no better time in the history of the world to be a beer drinker though, you can have whatever you like at your local grocer or bar these days - gawd bless the sixtel!
i like to keep a beer quiver and opening the pool means tinny season: lk's summer shandy, sly fox pikeland pils and some labatt's blue hockey soda right now in the fridge, along with some  mexican piss water leftover from cinco de mayo and a lonely founders breakfast stout waiting for a cool evening to sip by the fire pit.
not into the pbr thing though, i'll leave it the hipsters and anti craft beer claimers
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Coach Z wrote
Evidently Harv does not consider beer drinking to be a sport so he moved this to off topic from summer sports.  Oddly enough if you add woodchucking to beer it becomes a sport???

Once I moved from quantity just to get buzzed to quality I have not touched a PBR or Bud.  That period of my life just happened to coincide with the rise of craft beer.  Commercial swill is just a buzz delivery method made by soulless huge corporations that have to advertise their product with the same methods used to sell car insurance. Ever notice how close Geico commercials are to Bud commercials?

The reason Moose Island is liked by PBR drinkers is that it has corn in it. Very few craft beers do this.  Most of the ABV in commercial beer comes not from barley but corn as its way cheaper than barley.

Craft beer is made with pride and care by artisans.  If that makes me a beer snob so be it.  
Your doing it wrong if you were using beer to get buzzed, that's what wiskey is for , beer is made to maintain
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Coach Z wrote
I didn't realize you guys only drank beer in summer.  I'll let Camp describe the cultural importance of woodchucking.  It's an important part of the NY way of life.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey44 wrote
Coach Z wrote
I didn't realize you guys only drank beer in summer.  I'll let Camp describe the cultural importance of woodchucking.  It's an important part of the NY way of life.

WORD!!!

After a long day of chucking there's nothing better than a late night Sasqwatch hunt too. If I have to explain that to anyone they'd never get it in the first place.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
A few qeestions to get things started here

What is your home brewpub / beer bar?

What are your top 3 favorite craft breweries to visit?

My home brewpub is Lake Placid Brewery and Pub where I have a mug

My 3 Favorites
Victory - Downingtown, PA
LPBP
Zero Gravity at American Flatbread in Burlington, VT

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
Noah John wrote

Come on, PBR is the beer of effete snobs.  Iron City is the way to go.

Not sure that I have a fave brewpub.  But Lake Placid Brewery is right up there. Ubu Ale, let me hear you say yeah!

On a distressing note, I've observed that brewpubs either have great beer and middling food, or good food and nondescript brew.  

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I fall somewhere in the middle of this debate. I like good beer, but I like PBR, too. I like IPAs, but I have no idea what IBUs are. I like hoppy goodness, but sometimes you just want to drink cold Bud Light on a lake.

I did stop by the new brewery in Saranac Lake (Blue Line Brewery?) in the old car wash building next to the McDonald's, and it was pretty damn good. I recommend the Black.
1234 ... 20