classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
387 messages Options
123456 ... 20
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Craft beer thread

campgottagopee
Did you guys know you can't drink all day unless you start in the morning???

Maybe that's what it is for me and craft beer, I couldn't imagine drinking it for an entire day---that's a problem!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
campgottagopee wrote
Did you guys know you can't drink all day unless you start in the morning???

Maybe that's what it is for me and craft beer, I couldn't imagine drinking it for an entire day---that's a problem!!

Camp...most craft IPA's that I drink are 7-10% abv.  Can't really pound them to the same extent as more mass produced beers.

And, Not to stir the pot here Coach, but I think if you were a little less absolute and take into account that taste is a personal preference, your posts probably won't garner so much excitement.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Marcski wrote
And, Not to stir the pot here Coach, but I think if you were a little less absolute and take into account that taste is a personal preference, your posts probably won't garner so much excitement.
Marc - I think I did say that a few posts back.  People that are used to drinking Bud and such don't know what barley and hops tastes like but do know what corn tastes like.  That is why Campy said he only likes Moose Island from LPBP.  If that is what you like fine drink that.

Once you do acquire a taste for what beer brewed with barley and hops tastes like chances are you will be hooked and not want to go back to less inspired beer.  What got me upset was if you liked hops you were some kind of star trek geek comments from the peanut gallery.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Z
http://www.saratoga.com/event/saratoga-brewfest-18043
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
That looks like fun.  Some good brewers.  Check out Rushing Duck, a relatively new brewery out of Chester, NY (Orange Co.).  His War Elephant DIPA is citrussy hop heaven at 8.7% abv.
Reply | Threaded
|

mikegbflo
Living on the Canadian border drinking beer from up "north" was a rite of passage.
Carlsberg Gold was a favorite.
sad to say Canadian craft beer can't hold a candle to the Americans.
(at least the ones I've tried)
favorite brewers in alphabetical order:
Community Beer Works
Great Lakes        
Southern Tier
life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Lake Erie Monster on tap now!
The long days of Shockley are gone,
 So is football Kennedy style
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Absolutely Great Lakes is good stuff.  I was out in Pittsburgh and Ohio this past week and GL's Dortmunder Gold is a lager that even non Craft drinkers could fall in love with.

I went to a Pirates game at PNC Park and that is a great ball park and a good venue for craft beer.

Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
I went to the Olde Saratoga Brewery yesterday with 2 of my kids and my daughter’s fiancé to kick off Father’s Day weekend. We were going to take the tour they offer on Sat., but they didn’t have enough staff on to spare someone to show us around.

We hung out in the tasting room and sampled many of their offerings. It’s a different kind of place…all the bartenders, except for one guy, where “volunteers”. The people who give tours are also volunteers. It has kinda a club type atmosphere and the volunteers and regulars are really into telling you about their different beers. They serve samples in 5 ounce glasses and you can have all you want free of charge…good times. My daughter’s fiancé brews beer as a hobby so he was really into it. If any of you craft beer connoisseurs are ever in the Saratoga area you should check it out. www.oldesaratogabrew.com

BTW…I like craft beer, but I’m also happy drinking mass produced. If I’m with a good crowd having fun I don’t really care what I’m drinking that much…as long as it has alcohol
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
Made a growler of this disappear today tailgating before the Mets game at CitiField. Delicious and high ABV

It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
What kind of beer / ale is that beside high test?
Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
American Double / Imperial IPA

http://brooklynbrewery.com/brooklyn-beers/perennial-brews/brooklyn-blast
It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
A whole growler of that could do some damage
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
breaking my own rule about adding things to beer but I had the most amazing Belguim Kriek Lambic in Philly at Monk's Cafe.  Monk's is a great beer bar - rated in the top 5 beer bars in the world they claim.

This was a great dessert in a glass with tart and sour cherry exploding in your mouth

Sorry about the stupid sideway iphone imported photo to windows - Apple does this on purpose in my view

Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Had a couple of Lake Placid Brewing Wolf Jaw Wits last night, on tap at Dinosaur BBQ in Troy, they went so well with a nice plate of ribs, coleslaw a fries while watching the river on a nice summer evening. What made it even more special was that my older daughter paid the bill - belated father's day. Wolf Jaw Wit is a nice light summer Belgian wheat that is not too heavy or sweet  and perfectly hopped. Perfect on a warm summer evening by the water.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Coach Z wrote
This was a great dessert in a glass with tart and sour cherry exploding in your mouth

TWSS!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Being older than you i had to google what that means

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
My favourite Ontario craft brewery is Creemore Springs. They make lagers, which I seem to prefer. Found this new offering at the local supplier today, an "India Pale Lager." Very tasty. Glad I bought two.

From their website:
We have turned our brew house into a brewer’s playground with the introduction of our Craft Beer Exploration Series called Mad & Noisy Brewing, named after the two rivers that merge and flow through the village of Creemore. Hops & Bolts India Pale Lager is the first release in our ever changing series of imaginative, innovative, and delicious craft concoctions. A Czech twist on an English IPA it takes the best components of a lager and an ale and rivets them together to build a beer much greater than the sum of its parts.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
These new IPL's are a new trend.  I've had a few and only Hoptunous Union has impressed me

I doubt these will be big long term because lagers take so much longer to brew
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
So I was making deliveries through the north country yesterday and had to finally stop in to Blue Line.  Not bad but not great (IMO)
I think their best is the Black Fly with the Amber coming in a distant second.  Two beers I have had recently which blew my mind...however wrong season...Stone Brewing's Expresso Imperial Russian Stout and the other was from gypsy brewer Evil Twin...the place I had it at couldn't tell me what it was but it was a huge stout like beer that was a meal in itself.
Happy Independence!
Drink good beer
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
sudsnbumps wrote
Drink good beer
Life is too short to drink crappy beer.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
123456 ... 20