classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
132 messages Options
1 ... 4567
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Deer Valley Buys Solitude

PeeTex
As I said before, been a long time since I've been to GT, but I seem to recall hiking up to a ridge line with some very narly terrain. I recall a ton of powder cruisers, like Powder Mtn in Utah, but just like PM, there are places you can get to with a little effort that are more challenging. The few times I went to JH were poor snow conditions and a lot of furry sorels and bogner one pieces, was not my vibe.

In any event, I would never commit to a place without renting for a season.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
PeeTex wrote
As I said before, been a long time since I've been to GT, but I seem to recall hiking up to a ridge line with some very gnarly terrain.
That's the backside of Mary's Nipple.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
As it turns out I have rented a condo in Eden this season for 3 days so I can give it a comparison.

Doesn't seem like your kind of place Benny - too many Mormons and no ganja.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Oh, no, not really my kind of place (to live) at all, but I think it fills your criteria of a nice, quiet, and affordable place right next to awesome skiing. Ogden is sorta the Newark of the SLC scene, but, it's a city with a fair amount of amenities. Some techies with a whole lot of money bought Powder mountain last year and want to turn it into some sort of geek playground, so, things may change, but, that's going to take a while. Two of the finest powder days I have ever had were during a three day midweek storm at Snowbasin. I'll never forget walking up to the lifts ten minutes before 9, and there was maybe 8 people in line with 2 1/2 of fresh up on the hill waiting for us (on a Wednesday). Hooked up with a local after sharing a peace pipe, and he showed me some awesome stuff. Alta probably had 300 people chomping at the bit before the lifts opened on the same day, and it was probably all cut up before noon. We just cruised around in fresh all day long, always hitting virgin. Awesome mountain. Powder mountain is the place to go three to four days after a storm, because it gets so little traffic, so you'll find fresh.
Looks like a beautiful place in the summer, too. But there is nothing going on up there. Maybe one place to eat. Quiet.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Newark of Utah, that describes Ogden to a T. The place is Fugly.

That's the damn dilemma with the SLC area, only place I would take up residence is Park City, but the ski scene is not what I prefer and too many Furry Sorel types.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
I think SLC in general is pretty ugly, especially when the air turns brown, which happens a lot. Mormons are not into nice architecture. Very bland stuff.
funny like a clown
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I really can't see living in Utah but it makes for a nice vacation
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
I think SLC in general is pretty ugly, especially when the air turns brown, which happens a lot. Mormons are not into nice architecture. Very bland stuff.
Agreed. I've looked down canyon and seen the bath tub ring over the city and thought, no way I want to live in that. A seasonal commuter is the most I could do.

When ever I go through this I keep circling back to Fraiser CO, Berthod Pass has always been both an attraction for skiing and an obstacle for travel to/from the airport - where the drive is like traveling to Kansas.

I love the fact that I can look at the weather here and pretty much predict that they are going to close school, drive down the night before, pick up my grand daughter and ski powder the next day with her. Nothing is more fulfilling.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Since you like to skin up and ski Frasier would seem to be a great choice.  It's close to Denver and you have RM national park right there for the summers

Winter Park is a good place for your lift serviced days.  It's really big and only gets busy on the weekends.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Berthod pass is amazing for BC. You can skin up the old lift lines, ski down the west side of the divide, loop back to the road and hitch a ride back up. Worst case, you hike back up.

The issue is the airport and being away from the fam. My wife of 40+ years (who grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere) likes it there but like me, would not tolerate being away from the family.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Sounds like a good place for you to just invest in a condo

Sorry about the crack about your better half the other day.  It was uncalled for.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Coach Z wrote
Sounds like a good place for you to just invest in a condo

Sorry about the crack about your better half the other day.  It was uncalled for.
Accepted - thanks.

1 ... 4567