classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
132 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Deer Valley Buys Solitude

Noah John
PowderAss wrote
 Hey take the risk if you want to, but don't shit on others just because they value their body.
Nobody shit on you.  You shit on MC.  Try to follow along.

PowderAss wrote
All that being said, I was just pointing out his absurd b.s. about complaining about how "flat" grand targhee is all the while not even skiing jackon's hardest trail and does anyone actually believe his excuse?
Of course I believe it; why would he make that up?  JH has more great terrain than Corbet's; in fact i always got the feeling in speaking to others that Corbet's was a bit of a Bro-ha "tourist trap".  

PowderAss wrote
The wait was too long? So you fly all the way there and you're an expert skier whose chasing that type of terrain, yet you never ski it? Yeah ok
Look at all the shit you just made up out of thin air right there.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin

PowderAss wrote
The wait was too long? So you fly all the way there and you're an expert skier whose chasing that type of terrain, yet you never ski it? Yeah ok
Look at all the shit you just made up out of thin air right there.
I didn't make up anything. Look at the thread. I wasn't talking about you in that reference.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
I knew you weren't talking to me, cock holster.  All that crap about "expert skier", "chasing terrain" - it's just a bunch of internet diarrhea.  Every thing you post is like that.  The only one here that's talked about what a great skier they are is you - and it's glaringly obvious that you suck.

Last week you were funny but this week it's time to boot punch your face.  You're an annoying little puke.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
Noah John wrote
Tens of thousand's of people have dropped into Corbet's.  

Um, no. Maybe tens of thousands have skied up to the edge to look, and even more have skied it after a few beers at the bar afterwards in their BS dreams, or in internet postings, but, hardly that many have actually dropped in. I wouldn't do it without a foot of powder in there.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Coach Z wrote
 I plan to retire in Driggs and ski powder.  I love that place.
You spent three weeks there - there is not much there. The cost of living is dirt cheap. I think it would be pretty good if you can take the ranch life all the time. What concerned me about retirement there was all the things you may want relatively close - particularly as you get older, decent grocery store, medical care, cultural entertainment. The summer hiking and scenery would be awesome. However the biggest city - Poky, is 2 hours away and the airport there is a joke. I know my wife would go crazy, she is talking about getting a house closer to a major city now and moving back to civilization.
Pocatello might not be as bad as you think. It is the home of Idaho State Univ. There is a decent local ski area a few minutes from town called Pebble Creek. Grand Targhee and Jackson Hole are about 2-2.5 hours, Ogden, UT, is less than 2 hours, SLC International is around 2.5 hours and Sun Valley, Id, is around 3 hours. The weather is 4 season, but still not as extreme as living in a resort community. They get about 45 inches of snow per year.

Idaho Falls is another choice about an hour closer to GT/JH than Pocatello.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Who cares?  The point is:  Who fucking cares?
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Noah John wrote
Who cares?  The point is:  Who fucking cares?
Because people are complaining about how flat other areas are than jackson when they don't even take advantage of jackson's terrain. THey're the one's spewing out internet puke. Not me.
Get back on your ark and leave the mountains to the real men
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
PeeTex wrote
Coach Z wrote
 I plan to retire in Driggs and ski powder.  I love that place.
You spent three weeks there - there is not much there. The cost of living is dirt cheap. I think it would be pretty good if you can take the ranch life all the time. What concerned me about retirement there was all the things you may want relatively close - particularly as you get older, decent grocery store, medical care, cultural entertainment. The summer hiking and scenery would be awesome. However the biggest city - Poky, is 2 hours away and the airport there is a joke. I know my wife would go crazy, she is talking about getting a house closer to a major city now and moving back to civilization.
Pocatello might not be as bad as you think. It is the home of Idaho State Univ. There is a decent local ski area a few minutes from town called Pebble Creek. Grand Targhee and Jackson Hole are about 2-2.5 hours, Ogden, UT, is less than 2 hours, SLC International is around 2.5 hours and Sun Valley, Id, is around 3 hours. The weather is 4 season, but still not as extreme as living in a resort community. They get about 45 inches of snow per year.

Idaho Falls is another choice about an hour closer to GT/JH than Pocatello.

Sorry, but it's a boring, Mormon s*****le with awesome scenery and outdoor life. There are some failed condo projects on that side of the pass that spouted up from the potato fields ten years ago in the boom, but, they never got the golf course done. I'd wind up shooting the walls out if I ever had to live there. I wonder if they even have cable?

I like to ski and hike, but, I also like other things in life. That's why I'm spending the rest of my life in the east, and renting out there for a few months. Not there, Colorado.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
So you think the only thing that sets JH apart from Targhee is Corbets.  Which, until 45 minutes ago, you thought was called "Corbits Courlet".  

Keep your fucking mouth shut.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Benny Profane wrote
 I wouldn't do it without a foot of powder in there.
You wouldn't do it with an airbag in there.

There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
PowderAssassin wrote
btw at corbet's, most people that "ski" it, don't actually ski it. They don't drop in off the vertical section. They hike/sidestep down to where it's not vertical anymore and then ski the steep pitch.
Sounds like a statement of fact.

Where did you get your data from to support this fact (a couple of YouTube videos), or is this, like most of your other posts, just an assumption, opinion or preference on your part, stated as a fact?

Here is the post YOU took issue with from MC

mattchuck2 wrote
riverc0il wrote
I only have 1 day of experience at GT but I couldn't see what all the fuse was unless you went mid-week and had the place to yourself. I found that the place got tracked out reasonably fast on a weekend, as fast as Jackson Hole actually. Granted, with only one day, I had no knowledge of the place and vis was terrible when I was there, so perhaps an unfair judgment. But GT has been held up as some holy grail of powder paradise that some prefer over JH and I just don't see it. Even if GT was untracked powder all day (it's not) and JH was only one or two runs on untracked before it gets tracked out (you can get a heck of a lot more than that!), even if that was the case, I'd take limited powder with better terrain over unlimited powder without many interesting terrain features.
I skied two powder days at Targhee (Friday/Saturday) and two powder days in JH (Saturday/Sunday) and I agree with Rivercoil. Targhee got tracked out just as fast as JH (and we had someone who claimed to know Targhee showing us spots). If that's the way it goes, I'd rather take the Phenomenal Terrain of Jackson Hole over the mediocre terrain (relatively speaking, of course) of Targhee.
Nowhere in either of those posts does anyone say anything about GT being flat ... they simply expressed a personal opinion and preference. Are they not entitled to that?

I don't know what your deal is ... are you just another internet troll screwing around or are you actually for real with this crap, but either way, the one thing that is clear, is that you really are annoying.

It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter

Highpeaksdrifter wrote
Benny Profane wrote
 I wouldn't do it without a foot of powder in there.
You wouldn't do it with an airbag in there.

I'll never forget the first time I saw it. I was crammed into the old tram on the left side, the side that gets a perfect view of it on the way up. There was a snowboarder (very early snowboarder, 1990?) standing straight up on that frozen wall with an ice ax looking frozen with fear as he looked over his shoulder down, wondering how the F**k he was going to get out of that jam. No foot of powder then.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
PowderAssassin wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
I would have done it, but it was socked in and closed when I got to the tram the second day, Tram line was too long the first day, would've been in line for about an hour. Not worth it.
Rabble Rabble Rabble
Waiting in line for an hour to ski ONE run is pretty dumb, considering how fast the rest of the mountain gets tracked out. Especially in MC2s situation where he was only there to ski for 3-4 days. When you're skiing thigh deep snow, no, blues aren't steep enough. You can tell yourself you're being safe and everyone else is just fighting to be the most core when you're standing still and everyone else is actually skiing. Yeah, that sounds good. How would that go when you were on your 70mm skis and not Hellbents?

As far as airing into Corbet's goes, you don't have to send it as huge as they are in the TGR video, either. That's why they're skiing for TGR. Y̶o̶u̶ Someone could just as easily hit the 10-15 foot air into it, throw in a couple speed checks and ski it at a more mortal speed.

There's a big difference in skill level between someone skiing intermediate trails, someone skiing EC double blacks and making it look easy, and someone hucking 50+ foot backflips off of the nose of Corbet's. (Maybe you'll call it stupidity or luck, but not everyone just with a big set of nuts will ski away from that. It takes skill). There's also a big difference in mortality rate between between the later two. Hitting a 15 ft air is probably less likely to get you killed than an average commute to work. Pros, on the other hand, are all dying because they're crazy f*cks trying to get a shot that hasn't been done before. Also, they usually have a camera in their face and someone just had to pay a LOT of money to get that shot.

Believe it or not, there are actually some pretty accomplished skiers on this board. Even so, the difference in skill between them and the pros that are dying is quite a gap.

Regarding all this helmet bullsh*t, it seems like most injuries don't occur when you're doing something at the top of your skill level. Usually it's something you're comfortable with -- complacency kills. However if you do get rocked doing something crazy, the mechanism of injury can very well lead to trauma over a spinal injury. Why not throw on the helmet, just in case? Also, I'm willing to bet that a handful of these people are wearing spine protectors as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
I think you have more skiing experiences then anyone who has ever lived. We are truly lucky that you are willing to share them with us.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Face4Me wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
btw at corbet's, most people that "ski" it, don't actually ski it. They don't drop in off the vertical section. They hike/sidestep down to where it's not vertical anymore and then ski the steep pitch.
Sounds like a statement of fact.

Where did you get your data from to support this fact (a couple of YouTube videos), or is this, like most of your other posts, just an assumption, opinion or preference on your part, stated as a fact?

Here is the post YOU took issue with from MC

mattchuck2 wrote
riverc0il wrote
I only have 1 day of experience at GT but I couldn't see what all the fuse was unless you went mid-week and had the place to yourself. I found that the place got tracked out reasonably fast on a weekend, as fast as Jackson Hole actually. Granted, with only one day, I had no knowledge of the place and vis was terrible when I was there, so perhaps an unfair judgment. But GT has been held up as some holy grail of powder paradise that some prefer over JH and I just don't see it. Even if GT was untracked powder all day (it's not) and JH was only one or two runs on untracked before it gets tracked out (you can get a heck of a lot more than that!), even if that was the case, I'd take limited powder with better terrain over unlimited powder without many interesting terrain features.
I skied two powder days at Targhee (Friday/Saturday) and two powder days in JH (Saturday/Sunday) and I agree with Rivercoil. Targhee got tracked out just as fast as JH (and we had someone who claimed to know Targhee showing us spots). If that's the way it goes, I'd rather take the Phenomenal Terrain of Jackson Hole over the mediocre terrain (relatively speaking, of course) of Targhee.
Nowhere in either of those posts does anyone say anything about GT being flat ... they simply expressed a personal opinion and preference. Are they not entitled to that?

I don't know what your deal is ... are you just another internet troll screwing around or are you actually for real with this crap, but either way, the one thing that is clear, is that you really are annoying.
oohhh ahhh oooohhh aahhh
lol....I tell it like it is...A "troll" is just a derisive term used when you disagree with someone.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
I think you have more skiing experiences then anyone who has ever lived. We are truly lucky that you are willing to share them with us.
I'm glad I could help.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
  cock holster.

WICKED LARRY
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by tBatt
tBatt wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
I would have done it, but it was socked in and closed when I got to the tram the second day, Tram line was too long the first day, would've been in line for about an hour. Not worth it.
Rabble Rabble Rabble
Waiting in line for an hour to ski ONE run is pretty dumb, considering how fast the rest of the mountain gets tracked out. Especially in MC2s situation where he was only there to ski for 3-4 days. When you're skiing thigh deep snow, no, blues aren't steep enough. You can tell yourself you're being safe and everyone else is just fighting to be the most core when you're standing still and everyone else is actually skiing. Yeah, that sounds good. How would that go when you were on your 70mm skis and not Hellbents?

As far as airing into Corbet's goes, you don't have to send it as huge as they are in the TGR video, either. That's why they're skiing for TGR. Y̶o̶u̶ Someone could just as easily hit the 10-15 foot air into it, throw in a couple speed checks and ski it at a more mortal speed.

There's a big difference in skill level between someone skiing intermediate trails, someone skiing EC double blacks and making it look easy, and someone hucking 50+ foot backflips off of the nose of Corbet's. (Maybe you'll call it stupidity or luck, but not everyone just with a big set of nuts will ski away from that. It takes skill). There's also a big difference in mortality rate between between the later two. Hitting a 15 ft air is probably less likely to get you killed than an average commute to work. Pros, on the other hand, are all dying because they're crazy f*cks trying to get a shot that hasn't been done before. Also, they usually have a camera in their face and someone just had to pay a LOT of money to get that shot.

Believe it or not, there are actually some pretty accomplished skiers on this board. Even so, the difference in skill between them and the pros that are dying is quite a gap.

Regarding all this helmet bullsh*t, it seems like most injuries don't occur when you're doing something at the top of your skill level. Usually it's something you're comfortable with -- complacency kills. However if you do get rocked doing something crazy, the mechanism of injury can very well lead to trauma over a spinal injury. Why not throw on the helmet, just in case? Also, I'm willing to bet that a handful of these people are wearing spine protectors as well.
Just trying to rationalize something that is irrational. Of course they have skill. I never said they didn't. What they are doing is very dangerous. Forget death, horrific injuries are common. Your statistics about car crashes are absurd. You think those skiers are more likely to die/get seriously injured in a car accident vs on the mountain. I'd like to follow a group of extreme backcountry/freestyle skiers and see where they're more likely over the course of a decade to die/get a tbi/get seriously injured(spiral fractures are a bitch so are acl tears) vs getting seriously injured or dying in an auto accident. Give me a break! Avalanches ALONE would kill more of them than car accidents over a 10 year period of consistent backcountry skiing vs 10 years of driving to work. Especially if they're out there 5 days a week,. And driving to work is a necessity and the most dangerous thing you do. Backflipping over going 70mph down a mountain is not necessary.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
it's all risk/reward dude and it's different for each of us - hell it's different every day for me based on conditions, mojo etc. I don't get what there is to argue about but then again you are a master debater.

my one buddy has ski'd jh every year for the last 10 or so years, a damn good skier but has never dropped corbets. I bust his balls every year and his reply is the same... too high risk too little reward. not only the drop but then the hard cranker of  a turn then your done. not like its the gateway to the magic kingdom.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
PowderAssassin wrote
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
I'm glad I could help.

I think he was wryly and ironically trying to insult me. But, I'll let you have it. Some people here are full of bile, so, there's more coming, I'm sure.
funny like a clown