classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
99 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drinkin'

raisingarizona
Brownski wrote
This thread got serious but I find you guys’ ability to discuss this stuff to be somewhat uplifting. I can relate to the feelings of anxiety, though I don’t think I’ve ever experienced the level you’re describing.
The difficulty in sitting still is something I’ve struggled with my entire life. I tried working in an office once and it made me feel like a caged snimal. School always felt like prison. I think what saved me was getting into outside sales. I’m on the move all day almost every day, going on 20 years now. When I do get dragged in for meetings or training it really bums me out.
I just withdrew from Nursing school because the sitting and studying all day became too much for me. I was going into a dark and ugly place.

It's good that you found a niche that works for you. I've never felt that. I love trail building and if I could get a job with that I swear I'd never work another day in my life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
raisingarizona wrote
I just withdrew from Nursing school because the sitting and studying all day became too much for me. I was going into a dark and ugly place.

It's good that you found a niche that works for you. I've never felt that. I love trail building and if I could get a job with that I swear I'd never work another day in my life.
Man I was really cheering for you to be successful in school. This is really too serious for an Internet forum. From what you describe you are very much in need of some help. You have a wonderful child that should be your world - you need to be there for her. Please see a professional ASAP. I am still cheering for you but now I am also praying.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I burnt out Peetex. I did get that little associates degree which coming from my world was a huge accomplishment and success. I learned a lot and grew as a person. In the end, I didn’t want it badly enough. Nursing school felt like a constant exercise of eating shit and it made me bitter.

My kid is my world and I’m a good father. I’m generally a fairly functional drinker and it has no affect on my parenting or getting to work.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
RA, how many concussions have you had in your life? I know you've sent it quite a bit. TBI's might be involved.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
From 1 self-medicator to another, I think a daily Kratom regimen will really help you with Anxiety.  It may also help curb your drinking a bit.  It could also motivate you to rethink your approach to school.

I have suffered from everything you describe at various levels depending on the day.  I was diagnosed with clinical depression at age 14, and was managed with the latest and greatest pharma-dopes as they came on the markets in the 90's.  I had a therapist.  She gave me easy access to narcotics; therefore I abused benzos for several years.  If you do seek professional intervention, I would suggest refusing any type of benzo (valium, Xanax, etc).  This short term solution will make things much worse in the long-run.  A "professional" can also help with CBT, but these methods work for only a few.  

I stopped seeing my therapist as soon as I discovered Kratom.  She advised against Kratom.  She correctly indicated that there was no solid research on the effects of long-term daily use.   I was comfortable with the data for and against that I was able to harvest online.  There is not much research, but the history is pretty solid.   Kratom has been used holistically in Southeast Asia for thousands of years.  It's works on the same receptors as an opiate, but it's fractionally powerful in comparison to a prescribed painkiller.  Depending on the strain and dose, it has both stimulating and sedating properties.  It was a game changer for me.  Unfortunately, Kratom is currently being demonized by our FDA/DEA on orders from the Pharma-lobby.  Chances are, eventually, it will be made illegal.

I take it daily for anxiety and depression.  4 grams in the morning and 6 grams in the evening.  I still drink, but my alcohol consumption has decreased by 80% (30 to 35 drinks per week, now <5).  I have not taken anti-depressants for about 3 years.  Depression now comes and goes in sporadic short term episodes.... this is a huge improvement as compared to what I had experienced over the past 30 years.

Full Disclosure:  Kratom is physically addictive like caffeine or nicotine (or many other compounds that one ingests daily).  I am Kratom dependent.  For me, withdrawal symptoms have been quite manageable.... apparently this is not the case for everyone.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
RA, how many concussions have you had in your life? I know you've sent it quite a bit. TBI's might be involved.
At least ten or so. It definitely has had an affect. I’m at the point where the idea of one more head injury scares the crap out of me.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by nepa
Keaton? Never heard of that. Thanks nepa, I’ll have a look at that. I don’t really want to trade one for another though, I’d like to be free of this crap.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Camp, I here you,  been there for 38 years now. Not on a daily but have them with me always, exercise, breath work, diet and supplements. I still take a pill when knowing I am going into a situation that has provoked an attack before.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
BRLKED wrote
Camp, I here you,  been there for 38 years now. Not on a daily but have them with me always, exercise, breath work, diet and supplements. I still take a pill when knowing I am going into a situation that has provoked an attack before.
Thanks for sharing that.
I'll do the same thing. It just works so why fight it. I'm also on the same regime as you. I think that's why I always have some project going on at home. Whether it's building a barn, rebuilding a 71 Panther, splitting wood, etc etc. I love that shit!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
raisingarizona wrote
Johnnyonthespot wrote
At least ten or so. It definitely has had an affect. I’m at the point where the idea of one more head injury scares the crap out of me.
I guess just take it easy and roll with it. I see you got skillz in all these outdoor hobbies we have. No need to prove anything, just have a good time and get the daughter proficient.
    I've had some situations I can't really determine what happened. Ears ringing and struggled to stay conscious. I was thinking maybe type 2 diabetes, but that's been ruled out. A few years back I had a Holter monitor because I kept having these feelings of a goldfish in my heart. I was drinking way too much coffee and super stressed from work. Stopped giving a shit and all is well. That being said, you guys might like drinkin bros! I try not to drink on weeknights, but since Thanksgiving, there's only been a few weeks of no beer during the week. Last week was one of them. So far this week I had 3 switchbacks on Monday night, 3 on Tuesday night, and 2 IPA's last night. I'm very conscientious of it. I've been dabbling in scotch lately because it's less calories.
https://www.drinkinbros.com

I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Drinking

Gorefarmhouse
In reply to this post by Harvey
You likely are starting to get gout.  My doctor also said for years I didn't have it.  My first major flare up was at about 38.  Same thing from doctors for years, until I told a nurse about my symptoms and she finally said it OBVIOUSLY gout.  After I told the doctor again, we tested for it and guess what, GOUT.  Stay away from red wine.

I also had abnormal aches and pains in my joints for many years.  My doctor dismissed it as getting older--I was in my late thirties!  Years and years later a friend was sharing the same symptoms and her doctor found a Vitamin D deficiency.  I went to the doctor and insisted on getting blood work done.  He was reluctant because "everybody in the norteast has D deficiency." Results:  clinically low D.  Had to get MEGA-doses of the stuff just to get back to normal levels.

I know know why the call it a medical PRACTICE.  All of this could have been solved instead of DECADES of symtoms.

Another thing is you could be starting to get plantar fascitis.  If so, get these.  My neighbor found these.  I know at least 7 people (myself included) who NO LONGER have it because of these babies.  https://heelthatpain.com/

And as for the other topic, I also have a dysfunctional relationship with alcohol.  So do all my friends so it doesn't seem so odd.   Until you hang around people that don't.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Well what you are saying jives with the data.  I stopped (almost) drinking for a month and my foot feels fine. If I am going to have a drink beer is better than wine?

Any info on the coffee? I read that mattered and have almost cut that out too.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
Given the turn that this thread took toward the serious side, Camp, I regret my snappy remark.

Big props for you guys for discussing your issues.  I've known enough people in similar situations to know depression, anxiety, etc. is exceptionally real.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
raisingarizona wrote
. Nursing school felt like a constant exercise of eating shit and it made me bitter...
I feel like this describes every job. Have I told you guys about my universal basic income plan, designed for life occasions like this?

raisingarizona wrote
Looks like the people around here who are successful in that have a pretty well trodden path.

Step 1: Identify a place in need of trails
Step 2: Create "[Insert Location Here] Trail Building Alliance" or "Forest Trail Management" company
Step 3: Partner with a bunch of locations to pitch trails as recreational assets to the community. Attempt to get public money and also accept donations. Have fun events where you collect more donations.
Step 4: Give yourself a salary for all the work you do to acquire business, coordinate volunteers, & build up the company.

I bet you could do pretty good business building trails for people if you put a bunch of work into promoting your company. Also, there are a bunch of people who want to build, but not enough that want to maintain. That might be a niche industry in the future.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
Shit man, no regrets needed ---- it's the intraWebZ and a good zinger is always appropriate  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
raisingarizona wrote
  I don’t really want to trade one for another though, I’d like to be free of this crap.
My experience is you'll never be free of it but rather learn to manage it. I haven't had a full blown panic attack in 3 years now. The reason I had one 3 years ago is because I thought I had this shit licked and went off one of my medications. Turns out my Doc is smarter than me (go figure) and that the 2 meds work in conjunction with each other to help me manage my anxiety.

Again, I'm not an expert. I'm just sharing what has worked for me and I certainly know we all handle things differently. Sounds like BRLKED and I are of the same opinion, maybe go see your Doc. That said you have to have the right one you know and trust. My Doc is my age, she's a good ol farm girl, and I trust her opinion on everything. Shit, I'd call her a friend.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Buddy of mine has gout --- he swears by drinking a shit-ton of water everyday
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Gorefarmhouse
On the original topic:

I agree that foot pain at that age sounds like gout.

I like drinking, but I probably drink too much. Every once in a while I take a couple of days off, and don't really feel any better. Sometimes I think about taking a month off, but then there's always some event that I want a drink for (concert, aprés ski, Friday, etc.).

I drink one cup of coffee a day. That seems fine for me.

I like "natural" remedies for anxiety and pain more than pills. Bonus is that it helps my stomach issues, too. But I haven't had an anxiety "attack" in a long time and I really only had one or two (looking back, I guess they were over decisions that seemed huge at the time, but I now recognize as just parts of life).

I think that now is a good time for Harv to sell his business, retire, and start living a more stress-free life where he can spend time with his family and ski whenever he wants. I think he's gonna develop a case of "One More Year" syndrome, when he really should be flipping everything on its head and getting rid of responsibilities at this age. If he wants, he can take a new position as a "consultant" to his old company and work in 8-12 week stints on projects.

These are all just some opinions I have.

Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Gout?  Meet Allopurinol (daily) and/or Indomethacin (flare-ups).

Note:  Eat something with Indomethacin, otherwise it's a bit like getting off an average rollercoaster if you have a weak stomach.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.