244 messages Options
12345 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

tBatt
Darkside Shaman wrote
All in all the mt was a lot of fun today, and they opened Showcase to Sleighride to Stokes, and it skied pretty well.
I think I was skiing behind you on stokes for a bit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Nice job dropping the ropes on Hawkeye this morning.  

Plans for Christmas Day:

"Tomorrow, the gns will be on Showcase, Wild Air, Arena, Cloud, J-Bar, Village Slope, with a few left on Hawkeye."

Any bets or info on what's next up top?  I vote Lies!

Or whatever. Again, nice work.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

takeahike46er
I was elated to see Hawkeye open today.  It was a bit difficult to see at times, but it was nice to have the option.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
More hawkeye tomorrow. Lies is next.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Hawkeye was good today . . . Nice to have some soft gun pow and whales to play on.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nicky Z
This post was updated on .
Snowmaking was in progress today on Lies, Open Pit, Cloud, Portions of Upper Steilhang, Wild Air-top to bottom, The Arena, and the Ski Bowl.  

Lower Wild Air
Lower Wild Air

Guns on Lies
Guns on Lies

More Lies
More Lies

Lies from the bottom
Lies from the bottom

Whales on Hawkeye
Whales on Hawkeye

Zach taking a spill under the rope to Open Pit
Zach taking a spill under the rope onto Open Pit.

Ski Bowl looking almost ready to ski.
Ski Bowl looking almost ready to ski, 2 tubing lanes are ready to go.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
4E.W.D Productions wrote
Snowmaking was in progress today on Lies, Open Pit, Cloud, Portions of Upper Steilhang, Wild Air-top to bottom, The Arena, and the Ski Bowl.  
Here's a view of the summit snowmaking operations yesterday, 12/26.  It seems to me that snowmaking has been much more aggressive so far this year than in past seasons, in spite of the unfavorable weather.  Maybe it's the new equipment, maybe it's the weather, maybe it's just my own perception.

As of yesterday, Hawkeye had been open for at least 3 days, but is still skiing really well.  

Bottom line:  despite rain (again) last week available terrain has been expanded and aside from the usual skied-off areas (Pineknot, Foxlair) conditions are early-season-pretty-good on most of the mtn and damn good in places (Hawkeye).  I've got some more photos from yesterday on my blog, click my sig below if interested.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
it wasn't crowded today but conditions weren't good. at the end of the day my partner said, "at least nobody got hurt". conditions consisted of various forms of ice. of course, i overheard some people say the conditions were pretty good. although it snowed on/off the entire day there was no accumulation. guns were going on Lies and headwaters. please let winter return.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
We skied Sun & Mon (yesterday), Jan 1 & 2.  Sun was soft, spring-like conditions but yesterday it was firm & fast.  So far this season has been typified by weekly cycles of rain/thaw followed by recovery.  If you time your visits for 3-4 days after a rain/thaw event, the skiing's been pretty good wherever the guns are blowing or were recently blowing.  Yesterday was simply too soon after the rain/thaw for the skiing to be good.  Hopefully things will improve by this weekend.  I see on today's report that Open Pit is now on line - by the looks of that trail yesterday it should be today's pick-o-the-day.  It's been a difficult start to the season for sure, but the mtn would be in much worse shape without those 160 new guns.

Edit:  Lies will be open tomorrow (Weds).  From a Gore press release this afternoon:
"The black diamond “Open Pit” trail opened today, and the double-diamond “Lies” trail is planned to debut tomorrow, when “Why Not Wednesday” lift tickets are just $38 with the surrender of any unopened Coca-Cola product."
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
wed lies debut didnt go so well. problems with the snowmaking , closed along with hawkeye. started blowing on both again.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Duck T. R.
Lies opened late morning and skied real good. Then they started blowing it again in the afternoon and it  even skied better. The snow that was made with this last cold spell was fantastic. Open pit was opened and ungroomed. The whole Mt. recovered great from the warm weather and rain over the weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Isn't that just ducky. Rip that bad boy the next two days.

Pssst.....Cumbies has free coffee Friday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Best day of the year so far, hands down!!

Fresh blow on Hawkeye and Lies and 4-6" of new fresh that fell throughout the morning and midday. Darkside looks to be online for Saturday.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Duck T. R.
You got that right Darkside. When you get woke up by a snowplow and the temp. is in the low teens you know it's going to be a great day.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
i cant seem to hit the right days ,wed you guys said tues now its thurs . work is a four letter word
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
I've got to agree today was the best snow of the season! First ride up the thing you noticed was the lack of noise, as in skis on ice. It snowed all day maybe an inch or two. It was my best day so far. The whole mt. was good but the picks of the day were Hawkeye & Lies.
Yup they blew a lot of snow on Lies.  
 Go out and get it. It's getting better!  Heck we got more snow than Squaw Valley!

Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
That photo of Squaw is just brutal. UGH. I can't say enough good things about the job the Gore snow makers have done considering our current weather pattern.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
+1 Kudos to the crew at Gore.  The mountain skied great this weekend.  I went up the triple with a 1/2 Coach who said he has been skiing all over the Northeast and Gore has the best snow of anywhere he has been.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gore - Today was.....

Snowballs
Banned User
......NICE!

Sunny too!

Can't wait till tomorrow.

Wednesday looks good too. Jeff said he'ld buy the beer at West!

Can't wait till Wednesday. Bringin all my buds.....

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore - Today was.....

Snowballs
Banned User
Very good again today. Uncas opened. It is friggin great !! SOFT snow, lots of it, nicely spaced whales, very little traffic, large 6 ft drop on the left, LOTS of jumps.

It was still great at day's end so......
12345 ... 13