244 messages Options
12345678 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Adk Jeff
Raymo40 wrote
+2  I thought we would be ice skating today. But condition were pretty SWEET.  Best of the day was Sleeping Bear, but dam that lift is sloooow.We were pleasantly surprised. GREAT JOB GROOMERS AND SNOWMAKERS.
I skied on Saturday with my son and conditions were surprisingly good on the lower mtn.  Summit black diamonds... not so much.  But a much better day than we were expecting.  NYSEF had a different setup that allowed Twister (skied very nicely) to be open to the general public and also didn't require the detour around the back of the triple chair.  Really good day, thanks to major snowmaking & grooming efforts that have salvaged this season for us.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
+6 on the ski conditions (Us plus our 3 year old and another couple and their 3 year old).  We didn't bother heading over on Friday because it was dumping (not the white stuff).  Saturday was amazing considering the rain and then freeze overnight.  We were sking with another couple who had a limited time window so we didn't make it up top.  Everything we skied was in great shape (with a few ice patches here and there).  Sunday was good too, but not quite as good as Saturday.

My top 5 for the weekend:
Sagamore
Echo on Saturday (softened in the sun nicely)
Sleeping Bear
Twister
The sleighrides

Pete Gay, Uncas, and Quicksilver were also OK.

Harv - we got an inch or two in NC.  Not enough to be noticable.  We weren't first on the mountain either on Sunday so not sure if it made a difference early.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
it was worth being early sunday.sagamore had some fresh on it ,enough to make it quiet.echo was groomed perfectly with nice wind blown in edges. the north also skied very well.never ventured up top was having too much fun where we were. things seem to be improving around the mountain
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
While yesterday was somewhat scratchy, I am impressed how much ground they're getting open at Gore. Talked to a fella from Syracuse on the lift yesterday. He said they got very little snow this year in that snow belt.

An inch or so fell last night here at X18.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
top of the mountain open today should have saved the money and kept it closed- awful.patrol even asked us why we were up there it was so bad hard base surface with a coating of gack, foggy cloudy misty lower mt skied very well good spring conditions  esp twister sunway quicksilver fairveiw . showcase and wildair not so much.light turnout for a wed .weather never really broke was  lifting when i left .
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Man it has been tough for me to pick my spots to make the drive.  But winter ain't gettin any younger.

"We're planning to make snow on Hawkeye and Lies tomorrow into sat. We are going forward with the 24 hour hits on open terrain, except the Lies headwall which may get more.

Sunday would be something different too….bear mtn? tbd.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
freeheeln wrote
top of the mountain open today should have saved the money and kept it closed- awful.
Hawkeye & Lies were groomed overnight and skied quite nicely today.  In fact the entire mtn was groomed and skied well.  Pretty good conditions considering it was well into the 40s yesterday.  Mid-20s all day today but felt colder.

Harvey44 wrote
"We're planning to make snow on Hawkeye and Lies tomorrow into sat. We are going forward with the 24 hour hits on open terrain, except the Lies headwall which may get more.
Guns were staged at the summit.  Word is they will start blowing overnight tonight basically as outlined above ^^.

Lies today, worthy of multiple laps:
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Good news, thanks Jeff.

Seen any snowguns on Chatiemac ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Regarding Chatimac:
I thought that the guns I saw staged at the summit might be for Chati, but I ran into Mike P at the end of the day and he told me the snowmaking plan outlined above ^^, which does not include blowing on Chati.  Reading between the lines it sounds like there will not be much terrain expansion unless we get some significant help from Mother Nature.  Chati looked super boney yesterday (ice, rocks, some snow) but I got a very reliable tip at lunchtime (thx again DSS!) that it was actually skiing quite well.  Later in the day a patroller even suggested that we give it a try.  It was officially closed but they were letting a PSIA group use at least the lower half.  All of that suggests that it wouldn't take a great deal of snowmaking to get the trail skiable, so maybe there's hope...
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
Topridge was superb today.  Had a blast lapping it!

There were a few guns blowing on the top of Hawkeye.

Ski Patrol recommended Burnt Ridge, I gave Sagamore a run for the first time this season and although skiable the surface was very hard.  I didn't enjoy it much.  Echo was a decent run.

Sleighride (Upper and Lower) were in good shape (they've been consistently good this season.  Showcase looked horrible and I heard a bunch of people complaining about it.

All in all a good morning there.  I wish I had more time to play.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
They opened Gun Barrel, Straightbrook glades and lower chati before I left at 11:30. Gun Barrel was skiing sweet with excellent cover. Don't be afraid of natural snow surfaces...it may look and sound scary, but let your skis be the judge...it's all about the zen
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Thanks DS looking forward to getting out there tomorrow...It's been way too long.  Do I need my rock skis?
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
What a great day!  Blue skies and sun.  Didn't ski a full day as my daughter Sarah and I are headed back up tomorrow.  Skied Sagamore and Echo as the word on here was how nicely they were skiing, but I heard another skier on a lift describe Sagamore accurately as "racer ready".  His daughter, a racer, loved it, he didn't.  Echo was nice and there was great sun on those two runs softening it up nicely.  Hit Pine Knot, Foxlair, Headwaters, Quicksilver, all skiing nicely.  High Peaks chair wasn't running.  They are blowing snow big time on Hawkeye and it was moguls everywhere!  Still learning them, so I'll be back for more lessons tomorrow!    Chattiemac was closed.  See you tomorrow!  
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
This post was updated on .
Anybody who is on the fence about heading up to Gore tomorrow absolutely needs to go.  Head up to the summit:  Lies and Hawkeye were stellar, soft bumps under the guns. Beautiful blue sky, little wind, temps in the 20s. Woods are thin, but there is some tree skiing to be found. Honestly, one of my best days so far this year.

Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Another bluebird day!  High Peaks Chair closed again, but everything else running.  Sagamore nice if you like to go fast!  The moguls on Hawkeye were again skiing great and should be good tomorrow!  They were blowing snow on Lies, and that looked good, though I don't have personal experience on the run.  Chattiemac still closed.  They were blowing snow on Sunway and that skied pretty nice when I finished the day!  Blowing alot of snow on Tannery and there was a nice little mogul field setting up just before the lift at the end.  Wished my daughter Sarah was with me, but she was home with a cold. At the end of the day they were blowing snow hard on Open Pit.  Should be real nice tomorrow!  Running into three guys from Buffalo yesterday and hearing others speaking in French on a lift today tells me that we are VERY lucky to have what we have at Gore right now!  See you next weekend!
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
could only squeeze the morning in but things skied  very well.got to lift 7 not loading yet waited a few- was worth it first group down lies super sweet fresh talc , kudos to the snowmakers perfect stuff. skied several there moved to hawkeye good not as nice as lies. talked to MP said top would be open this week!ripped several down sunway real nice stuff had to roll . kman good to see you out and about wished i could ve stayed and had  a beer with  ya to keep you company ,get well  
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
I should have skied today.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Barrel Left was sweet! Once the crust broke up after a few runs it was a playground!
Kudos to patrol for gettin it open!
This year is what you make it and I'm makin it FUN!

Sorry I missed you FH, see ya wednesday
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
After yesterday I really wanted to get out there today but had to stay home and try for husband points.  From the report tonight it looks like Lies is not being groomed...how'd it ski today?  I will be there tomorrow.
Go Giants!
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
sudsnbumps wrote
A From the report tonight it looks like Lies is not being groomed...how'd it ski today?  I will be there tomorrow.
Go Giants!
Lies was great. Big fluffy moguls.  A few scrapey spots near the bottom, but it was a lot of fun - and a lot of hard work.  It was better than Hawkeye, which was really scraped off on the first descent before the turn.  My son rode the chair with a ski patroller this weekend, and the word is that Gore is trying to open Rumor by President's weekend.
12345678 ... 13