244 messages Options
1234567 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

64ER
Thursday 1/19

Great groomimg, fast and carvable, chilly-bam-billie!

Friday 1/20

Ma Nature saved our Bacon!  Tworeeish inches of fluff makes all the difference.  Echo needs to be ripped and Sagamore massaged into shape.

Ski you later,

64er
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
64ER wrote
Echo needs to be ripped and Sagamore massaged into shape.

Ski you later,
Excellent, thx for the update.  Sounds promising.  I'll be up tomorrow helping to massage Sag.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Just off the mountain. Almost everything fast and hard to scraped. Upper skied off by 10am. Choices were a powdery Sleeping Bear (finally), Sagamore (ungroomed) with snowmaking and gigantic whales + bumps, and Lower Sleighride to Stokes, also with snowmaking. Pete Gay is open but I did not try it. Echo skied nicely with pretty good cover and zero traffic. There was race camp on Twister again. There were a few tracks in and out of various closed glades. Cars were parked down the access road but the only lift line was the gondi from 10-12. There is still snowmaking on Sag.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Sounds like Sunday was busier than Sat - I haven't seen cars parked down the access road yet this year.  Conditions sound pretty similar to Saturday, did Sag ski a little better on Sunday?  I've got some pics from Saturday here.  Nice to meet you at Dippikill Sat evening, X.  
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
I didn't get beyond the poma lift on Saturday (beginner telemark camp-yikes my quads are hurting), but from what I have heard from my ski buddies, today was better than yesterday. I had a ball on Echo and Sagamore today, and Topridge was in great shape. Hawkeye and Lies were fine in the early morning, but we knew that it was going to get icy quickly.  I heard that the top of the mountain was awful on Saturday afternoon. (I did all of my skiing today on my alpine equipment - I haven't progressed beyond the Sunway Double on the telemark equipment!)  There seemed to be more cars in the lot today, but the lodges seemed less crowded.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
poindexter wrote
I didn't get beyond the poma lift on Saturday (beginner telemark camp-yikes my quads are hurting)...

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
Just off the mountain.
Were you skiing with a pink helmet by any chance?

I was lapping Sagamore all day with a couple park runs. Ducked in the trees in two places.. still have a ways to go.

poindexter wrote
 I haven't progressed beyond the Sunway Double on the telemark equipment!
You can ski terrain that is just as easy off of the gondola! It's just a MUCH longer run, ya know, in case your quads weren't tired enough
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Sagamore was sweet today - nice bumps, good gun pow, solid skiing.  I have a feeling we'll be getting in the trees soon . . .
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
In reply to this post by tBatt
fujative wrote
You can ski terrain that is just as easy off of the gondola! It's just a MUCH longer run, ya know, in case your quads weren't tired enough
I tried a run on Sunway from the triple late in the day on Saturday, and realized that it was too much for me - the heavy snow and the crowds, as well as the length of the run really did me in - my legs were shaking by the end.  Hopefully I can work my way up to doing longer runs once my technique gets a little more consistent.  It's amazing how much harder telemark is than alpine - both physically and (for me) mentally.

Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
Sounds like Sunday was busier than Sat - I haven't seen cars parked down the access road yet this year.  Conditions sound pretty similar to Saturday, did Sag ski a little better on Sunday?  I've got some pics from Saturday here.  Nice to meet you at Dippikill Sat evening, X.
Nice to finally meet you also. The skiing was very similar to Saturday. Sag skied better with more snow. There were some bumps forming on the whales on the last steep section. Some of the steeper sections were scraped with piles of man made powder. It was a lot of fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by tBatt
fujative wrote
x10003q wrote
Just off the mountain.
Were you skiing with a pink helmet by any chance?

I was lapping Sagamore all day with a couple park runs. Ducked in the trees in two places.. still have a ways to go.

Yes that was me in the pink helmet. I have been trying to find an XXL for a while as the foam in my other helmet is starting to come apart. I tried various POC XXL styles and of course this was the only one that fit. I notice 3-4 guys ripping down Sag - I should have figured you were one of them.  
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
was up sunday ,trees still have a ways to go quite a crust. sagamore was fun i thought echo was really good. showcase was scketchy pretty early
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
wed delivered race surfaces once again.groomed trails were for the most part edgeable (get a tune) save for the glaciated patches. mt received a light dusting no real measurable snow. lies closed.  headwall unskiable, snowmaking resumed on it with snowmakers being belayed down. snow making also on cloud and wild air. sagamore was ungroomed and had a sheen to it. woods have a funky crust. still it was better than working as, long as you didnt take time off
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
Somethin about that just ain't right.

X - the way he was meant to be:

You sportin pinkie with the lime green coat?

Seriously I know it ain't easy to find an XXL helmet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Ok here's the poop for today and the weekend. They blew snow on the headwall of lies. all of upper cloud, open pit top to bottom, headwaters, sunway, and a few more miscellaneous high traffic areas.
My report earlier this week in regards to Chatiemac, and the dark side was derailed by the overly warm temps and heavy rains Monday night into Tuesday. So, I don't see the darkside being online for the weekend. Hopefully they will groom Sagamore, so at least there will be something worth skiing on the Burnt Ridge side, as Sagamore has been closed since Monday.
The skiing today was by far the best of the week, but we all need to think positive snowy thoughts for tonight and tomorrow morning, otherwise it could be a long weekend...
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Thanks for the intel Shaman.  I was wondering why Sagamore was closed/ungroomed.  Didn't realize the rain was that bad earlier this week.  We are driving up tonight and I will be thinking good thoughts.  Hoping the weatherman is wrong and we wake up to some fluffy in the morning.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Let's hear it for the Gore Mountain Groomers and Snow-Makers!  I had fun today!
Thanks
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
+1 for the Gore Snowmakers & Groomers!
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
+2  I thought we would be ice skating today. But condition were pretty SWEET.  Best of the day was Sleeping Bear, but dam that lift is sloooow.We were pleasantly surprised. GREAT JOB GROOMERS AND SNOWMAKERS.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Any details on new snow today?
1234567 ... 13