244 messages Options
123456 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Adk Jeff
This post was updated on .
I'll take Uncas any day over Pine Knot. Glad it's open.  
Kudos to the snowmaking crew for continuing to advance the trail count.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Text from sudsnbumps:

"Forgive me for doing this - 4 or 5 inches of dense fluff on bear and no one here. heading up top now.  it is great to be in paradise."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Thanks for an onsite update.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
To those that chose not to ski today
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I will have the right tools for tomorrow  Today's snow was great for base...
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
What fell?
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
It was hard to tell.  Still snowing when we left at 1.  There was a lot of wind up top and the top part of Lies was scoured with pockets of well over a foot lower on the run...I'll do a TR when I get back later.  I'd like to see what Gore reports this evening
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
1/12/12:

I had a very hard time telling how much fell too.  I took a tumble in a drift that was well over a foot deep but there were spots blown bare to the ice too.

The top of the mountain was pretty tough for me.  Deep snow one moment, ice the next with low visibility and ice coated goggles blinding me at times.  Didn't stop me from making about 5 runs from the top though.

Mid to lower mountain was a lot of fun.  Less wind, plenty of powder and nobody there.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
The wind was whipping right up Hawkeye, Lies, & Open Pit making things a little sketchy up top. Fun day out. It's a amazing what a little snow can do for the mountain.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
6” yesterday,  1” of build up last night, fog and light rain now, 3”+ this afternoon.

Lots of grooming tonight.

Echo is next.

ADDED: Changed to snow at 10am, 2 inches down as of 12:45.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Harvey what does "Echo is next." mean? Next to open (has enuf coverage), or next in line for snowmaking?
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I just got off the mountain.  Missed a meeting because the skiing was so good and progressively getting better up top...worse at the bottom but I have to say...WE NEEDED THIS!  Welcome Winter!
The snow from last night held up well.  There was some rain but it quickly changed over and was snowing almost all day...filling in tracks.  Early AM the bottom was slushy soft and the top was  "different"  by different I guess it was yesterday's powder that was skied packed down by a light freezing rain crust and then getting powder on top again.  The snow is dense and covers problems well.  This weekend will be the best of the year...perfect timing for the Holiday.  You'll see trail counts grow
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Denis.N
Denis.N wrote
Harvey what does "Echo is next." mean? Next to open (has enuf coverage), or next in line for snowmaking?
My bad.  Was trying to do too much by phone.

Lines are being charged on br and echo will be first.

(via mobile)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Man. I just shoveled it and I have to agree that is great base building snow.  Like 7 inches of snow, then maybe a half an inch of sneet and then another 2 or 3 snow on top.

Seriously if this action was a month earlier, we'd have a jump on a good season.

Pretty good wind, but not insane.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Gore was really cold in the windy spots today.  After a late morning run on Ruby, I was forced into the saddle lodge to warm my face.

It seemed like 80% of the mountain was groomed and the cord was carvable considering the high temp of maybe 15 (at the base). A few spots (Lies) got scary fast (for me, on teles) by end of day.

A major step forward in every way.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Brutal and beautiful at Gore today.  Cold as hell and dangerous in the windy spots ...windy hill, topridge chair, ruby run.  Didn't dare attempt the triple.

Surface conditions were fantastic.  Corduroy and groomers in general were very carveable. Sadly I'll miss tomorrow, but if you can get out, do it. Should be excellent.
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
Today was painfully cold, but fun.  Our car thermometer read -4 when we arrived this morning, and only +6 when we left at 3:45.  The wind added to the fun.  The top of the mountain was the least windy, so we spent most of the day there. Lies was surprisingly good, even into the afternoon.  The top of Open Pit was really blown off though.  Our hopes for the re-opening of Hulabaloo and Chatiemac were not fulfilled, but we entertained ourselves with the rest. Topridge was beautiful, but we could only handle one run at a time there, because the lift was torture.  Was there something wrong with the Straightbrook chair this weekend? My daughter was stuck on it for 15 minutes on Saturday, and it was stopping very often this afternoon. I saw a sign that warned people to load 3 to a chair, not 4.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
poindexter wrote
I saw a sign that warned people to load 3 to a chair, not 4.
Hmm, perhaps the cold made something slip or such under higher weight loads. Likely a cold issue of some sort.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Anybody been up last couple of days?  Freeheelin'?... Shaman?...
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
not me ,i bailed on wed. i ve been iceskating on our pond quite abit . its been a good year for that. i m guessing  its got to be getting full on up there tho
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
123456 ... 13