classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
244 messages Options
1 ... 910111213
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

gebbyfish
Well, I'm thinking of trying the pond skimming thing, if they have it next weekend!
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Well, it was a great weekend of Sunny, Spring Skiing. Without a shovel brigade it's hard for me to imagine that the mountain will be able to open again this weekend after a week in the 70s. The trails are in decent shape, but certain places will become impassable, like head walls & traverses. I hope they can open, but I am not holding my breath.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
This post was updated on .
Notes from Sunday:
I was surprised how well  Lower Sleighride was holding during the weekend. Also plenty of snow on Uncas, Lies and Hawkeye (besides obvious bare spot). Of all trails I skied, Sleeping Bear was in best shape, I say better then Darkside trails, although Lower Darby was awesome too - bumps, not a bare spot.

My bet is on next weekend mountain being opened for skiing, possibly with Gondola downloading.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Agree 100% on Sleeping Bear. It skied great! If they open, people will have to settle on some mud walking. It's the "connecting" areas that will need the most help (Tannery/Headwaters/Cloud), these all had tons of water collecting on them or running off. Hawkeye & Hullaballoo also had narrower passable areas that a lot of people were having difficulty navigating, even Open Pit is heading that way. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but...
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
it was a sunshine daydream day.great soft snow, and sunny smiles .was great to see many familiar faces on what will prolly be the last day , cant imagine they really gonna make another wkend.was good to see kman out and about hope the knee feels better.hangin on top was great, outlaw and noted local no shows tho..hangin on the deck was even better.season was way to short
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
I was on the deck of the warming hut for a bit later in the afternoon... from 2-3 maybe?
I'm either oblivious or missed you guys.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Anyone planning to go on Thursday?  Please post a conditions update if so.  On the site it says 4 lifts, 22 trails and they will stay open as long as possible (until Sunday).  We were planning to head up on Friday afternoon.  I know its not going to be great but just wondering how un-great it is going to be.  Sliding down ribbons of death and then walking across mud to another ribbon of death doesn't sound enticing.  Wrapping up the season with some decent turns on slush would be worth it.  I don't have high standards.  

D
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
I'll post some updates throughout my day tomorrow.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Don't look now but I just checked the National Weather Service to see which pair of shorts to wear tomorrow and I noticed snow in the forecast for Sunday Night
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
sudsnbumps wrote
Don't look now but I just checked the National Weather Service to see which pair of shorts to wear tomorrow and I noticed snow in the forecast for Sunday Night
There's actually been some whispers about a coastal late next week.  Would be kinda hilarious in a way.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Today is closing day.  Posted on Facebook and the homepage.  All things considered I had a great season.  Just sad that it is over.  
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Today is Gore's last day :(
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Danzilla
From Facebook:

Hi Everyone- Unfortunately the snow is disappearing much faster than we can move it, and we are disappointed to report that today has to be our last day. We want to say thank you to everyone for all the nice words you've passed along to our snowmakers and groomers- it means alot during such a challenging season! We're going to start work on the new Tannery deck very soon and announce our spring, summer, and fall schedule shortly. Thanks so much for being such a great friend of Gore this winter!

Wish they had posted this LAST NIGHT so I could have made one last day happen. After last weekend I am surprised they are opening at all. Hats off to everyone at Gore for what they've done with such little help from Mother Nature. It may not have been a "great" season, but I certainly had a lot of fun.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Txt from sudsnbumps:

"Lies is awesome, some walking required required but (allstars?) haven't come off yet."

Txt from Darkside Shaman:

"Snow is going fast but skiing is good :)"
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Call from Condor
    Do you hear that? yeah, I'm walking in a puddle.

Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Gore Mountain wrote
Hi Everyone- Unfortunately the snow is disappearing much faster than we can move it, and we are disappointed to report that today has to be our last day...

77 people like this.
what are they "liking".. ?
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
I'm sure no one is "liking" the fact that skiing at Gore is done, but they are "liking" the sentiments of thanks for all the kind words that people extended to the snowmakers and groomers up there, that was mentioned in the post.  
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I saw Condor today but not Shaman...Sorry Condor, how late were you for your class.  I am still coming off my adrenaline rush from today...I'll probably start crying soon, but Lies was my pick of the day.  With the exception of Uncas, before they opened Straightbrook and whatever to get down, I only skied Lies...I hear Darby was pretty good.
I left the mountain at 1pm then went and did some work...then took a nice easy 20 mile bike ride around Saratoga Lake and ended at Olde Saratoga Brewery to watch Syracuse move on to the Elite 8!  Now there is still a slight chance that my Allstars might make a trip to Gore Monday if we get lucky but they will be sacrificed this summer.  For such a disappointing season, this last week of skiing has been awesome...and to that end...

I want to Thank both Gore and Whiteface.  If this was an ordinary season we would not be riding lifts to ski these conditions.  I am guessing they lost money but stayed open more for the pass holders and employees than anything.  Seeing the Gore Ops guys up at Whiteface was awesome on Tuesday. Snowmakers and Groomers at both mountains kicked ass this year.  All the barbs aside we can all peacefully coexist.  Say what you will we have two awesome mountains we like to call home.
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
sudsnbumps wrote
Sorry Condor, how late were you for your class.
Haha late enough that he gave me a call, asking if I wanted to hang out because he wasn't going to class.
Actually, he probably would have made it on time
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
should have stayed and skied but then again he said he was going to Kmart today
I'll be back
1 ... 910111213