classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
244 messages Options
1 ... 78910111213
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Snowhunter
Skiing was fantastic at Gore this morning!  Great corduroy on some trails, powder to be found on others.  Unfortunately I had to bail out early but I had a blast getting in what runs I could.  Lots of people there today, saw a long line for the Gondola as I was leaving.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
I guess I would have been better of skiing Saturday when the sun was out and had softened the snow a bit because it was hard carving today!  Cloudy and overcast all day, and it did snow a bit as the day wore on.  It appeared that all the glades were closed.  It was hard to turn on the hard, rutted snow, and I guess they don't want to take a chance that someone won't be able to make the turns in the woods.  This was going to be our first time ever trying that as well! :( Rumor was closed and all the snow that was there from Thursday seemed to be skied off and it looked like it did two weeks ago with all the rocks exposed.  Spent some time on the Dark Side and all the moguls were skied off from a week or so ago that they had blown up with snowmaking on Hullabaloo.  After seeing the pics of the Ski Bowl and having never been there before, my daughter Sarah and I decided to head over, which is no small feat!  It makes the poling that you do on Cloud look like a walk in the park!  Ugh!  Only one or two runs were open over there and all the glades were closed, so it really wasn't worth the trip today.  The trip back wasn't much easier and the trail back was pretty scraped up and exposed.  I think if you want to give the Ski Bowl a try park a car there and leave another in the main lot and hit it, then hit the main mountain and at the end of the day, pick the other car up(if you can do that).  Probably would have been more fun if there was more snow and they had all the runs open, but that isn't what we experienced today.  Well, at least we can say we did it.  Worried that with the upcoming warm temps and no snow in the forecast that in another week or two, it'll be done up there.  We'll see.  
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
Today was definitely the worse of the two days this weekend.  Saturday was blazing hot and it got really sticky around lunchtime, but the snow was ok in the more shaded areas. Today was really crusty with big chunks everywhere.  Hullabaloo was surprisingly nice. I don't think I've ever actually skied down the middle of that headwall before today.

Gebby- I'm sorry you missed the good stuff at the ski bowl. Saturday was really nice there, but the trip over and back was brutal. The snow on Pipeline and Eagle's nest was like Elmer's glue. My husband (CMR) did Upper Darby for the first time on Saturday, and said that the traverse on Pipeline was more difficult.  On the Hudson chair he told me "Well, that's 40 minutes I'll never get back."
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
poindexter wrote
  On the Hudson chair he told me "Well, that's 40 minutes I'll never get back."
I was thinking the same thing! :(  The trip over and back just soured my daughter and caused a loud, "I'm done"  She was so mad!
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by poindexter
Gore skied GREAT on Saturday. I got some dream runs in the Ski Bowl Glades first thing and then on Lies mid-morning. The woods were great for most of the day. Darkside, etc., The Cave, and some others were fun all day. I finished the day from the top of Straightbrook > Upper Darby > Darby Woods > Wood-out > Pete Gay > pipeline> Then whatever you call the rest of it back to the ski bowl which was total mush. Then I couldn't help but get one last run in the Ski Bowl Glades around 3:15, which ended up being a mistake as my legs were toast and the snow had started to set back up.

Sunday was not so good. The surface set up to make everything hard and fast and the light was flat. Most (on the map) woods were closed and the place was CROWDED. There was quite a few people out who had no idea what the heck they were doing. Including the guy stopping to light up a cigarette in the middle of a trail and the (woman) who decided to cut me off before the longest flat area of PIPELINE. C'mon! Skied about 14-15 runs and bounced. It was snowing when I left but wasn't really accumulating.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
Took a couple hours off from the job search and snuck over to the mountain for a few quick runs.  Conditions were great today.  I did Uncas, Hawkeye, Open Pit, Topridge, Uncas, Open Pit and Twister.  Topridge was my favorite but they all skied well.  Even though it was midday things skied quite good.  I would have loved to stay and get some more runs in but the real world was calling and seeing as this was my 9th day on the slopes in the last 11 days my legs get pretty rubbery fast.  I'm not complaining though as any time on the mountain is good!
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
groomed surfaces were very edgeable today ,sunshine and brisk temps.not much open gondi ,lift 7 ,and 10 .ripped a bunch of groomers. natural surfaces were variable, skied in stuff okay. unskied not so much ,kinda broke into big rice krispy pieces .hard to link turns , alot of jump turns, stem christies ,falling leafs, any from the old  bag of tricks.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
freeheeln, you did a much better job of describing things than I did, thank you.  I agree.  For me things were still a lot more enjoyable than many of the days we had in January and early February.  For my ability I could ski all that I took on out there and enjoy it, earlier this season there were many days that I found to be tough and not a lot of fun.  I looked at the 10 day a couple of hours ago and I have a feeling that we'll be begging for days like today real soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
we had a fun day out there today.actually was kinda relaxing giving the legs a cruising day. gonna have some heavy bump days coming up end of the week.rest up wax up
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
today was similar to yesterday . natural snow was a bit stiffer, skied fast . lots of  fast cruising groomers .lower mt was nicer did a bunch of last runs. not sure were all the people were ,didnt  seem like all that many on the slopes parking lot was busy.we do so many more runs without the chatty wkenders
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Spring has sprung on the mountain. Great day but it got STICKY in spots in the afternoon. Woods are still in play. Rocks are starting to show on Hawkeye, Open Pit, & Top Ridge.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
A great day spent with best friends! Put the correct wax on your head and rip it
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
This post was updated on .
agree with DARKSIDED and shaman great day. wax is very  important , especially when your bindings hinge.one important note; access to woods off headwaters should be curtailed do to improper skier entrance protocall -stay low right
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
This post was updated on .
Skied Gore today. 54 dregees when we got there. The top skied nice with Lies being the pick. The bottom was very soft and sticky.  Bare spots are showing up. Better get out there and get some I don't it is going to last to long without a BIG help from Ma Nature.
Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
well from 8-10 conditions were pretty horrendous. rock hard in some places, soft corn in others, frozen lakes on some flats and other weird stuff going on. from 11-2 however the sun was out and everything softened right up and it was some good spring time conditions. after 2 the clouds rolled in and the temp dropped fast!!! didnt take long for all those nice soft spots to turn pretty solid. get out there soon cuz the snow is going fast....
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Good-sized crowd today.  Started at 10 and the lower mountain was already a nice sugary consistency.  Later in the day it got quite sticky down low.  Lies was bumped up a bit and made one run down.  Top Ridge is really thinning out and lots of bare spots.  Surprised to see lower Chattiemac open which was even worse!  Runs that get real hard and slick like Open Pit and Hawkeye softened up nicely with the warm temps and bright sun.  High Peaks chair was running and made a few runs over there and Hullabaloo skied nice, but the crowds eventually found out the Darkside was the place to be and a pretty long line started to form, so I scooted back up to the top.  With warm temps and some rain coming according to the weather forecast for next week that I just watched, I think that while they may make it to next weekend, there will be many runs starting to become unskiable and getting closed, due to the loss of snow.  Oh, well!  They did a great job with snowmaking and that's what has gotten us this far into the season!
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
Today was a great day at Gore.  Everything skied well.  The Darkside was by far my fav.  We skied Hul and Darby several times and it got better and softer with each run.  Lies, once opened, was fun too with plenty of soft coverage.  Rumor was even opened today, although it would have been better for mountaineering than skiing.  

I'm glad that my last day at Gore this year was a winner.  Kudos again to the snowmaking and grooming staff!
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
Here is what Rumor looked like today.

I'm surprised they opened. It. My daughter took this picture after skiing down it. She said it was great. She wanted to send it to Gore for their picture of the day, but I don't think it would be great marketing on their part: "Come ski our rocks!"  I doubt it will be open much longer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
I skied Gore Friday and Saturday.  I enjoyed Friday but honestly thought it wasn't very good and didn't give it much longer.  Saturday morning was a huge improvement and I was amazed at how good conditions were on most of the mountain.  I was supposed to get there today but it didn't work out.

For those there today and the last few, how long do you honestly think we have left?  I'm trying to stay positive but the bare patches are growing fast and the weather report for this week is brutal!
Reply | Threaded
|

outlaw 1
today was a good day indeed,rumor was very fun, the gang got it b4 they droped the ropes(with permision of coarse) really liked sking around the rocks,not everybodys cup of tea,but we enjoyed it,a couple of times,theres still quit abit of snow too be pushed around,but how long it will last,who knows,where we skied it was all good,never made it too br side but herd good reports.had a very good cookout up top,thank you all too those that brought goodies.and too the bucket heads that cooked it..got too give em credit for opening things that prolly shud not have been opened,but i think they knew it mite b the last time for some of those trails.very very good day.
1 ... 78910111213