classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
354 messages Options
12345 ... 18
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

MC2 5678F589
Better call and ask about that. I think they're okay, but they won't scan properly (which could be a bonus because getting your pass scanned is annoying).
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Harvey
I called today and was told that our (SKI3) Passes could be printed and mailed today.

If you're not going to ski this weekend, you might want to call to get yours mailed.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
and I called on the other question, if passes were passed in the Spring and we already have them, they are still valid.  She said there was discussion on if a potential swap needed, however Gore confirmed this is not the case and previously issued 2013-14 passes are valid.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Inversion second night in a row.  No bueno.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
patience grasshopper..12 more hrs ...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
JasonWx wrote
patience grasshopper..12 more hrs ...
I like the new Jason... but I still think we'll get our share of gully washers.  You'll still call em right?

Front is here now, cold and windy, temps dropped about 10 degrees in the last 2 hours.  Ground and everything froze right up.  Hopefully they wait until the morning to run a groomer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Pretty good today in a WROD kinda way.

A rogue band of LES just dropped an inch of snow in a few minutes at 2000 ft.

Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The skiing was solid for a week before Thanksgiving.

Was in the forties last night until midnight and then it got cold.  Surfaces were firm for sure.

The morning cord was tough but not invincible.

There were definitely death cookies, a FEW (too rare) spots where you ski under or near the guns, and some soft areas after it got skied in.

Coverage was wall-to-wall, mostly. It snowed at the end of the day.

With time to drain and dry out, skier traffic, another pass by the groomers and a little natural, I think tomorrow will be decent.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
In reply to this post by DackerDan
We came up late today, and were rewarded with 1-2 inches of fresh for our last few runs.  Hope you get to ski tomorrow, as it will be very windy and may be holds on lifts, from NWS: 6 AM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH TUESDAY/...
STRONG WINDS INCREASE TO WIND ADVISORY LEVELS OVER MUCH OF THE
REGION EXCEPT FOR THE EASTERN CATSKILLS AND MID HUDSON
VALLEY...WHERE THEY COULD SEE WIND GUSTS 40 TO 45 MPH AT TIMES

on the positive side: THE PERIOD STARTS OUT TUESDAY NIGHT WITH OUR REGION POTENTIALLY
STARTING TO BE IMPACTED BY A SIGNIFICANT COASTAL STORM. THERE IS
INCREASING CONFIDENCE FOR LIKELY PRECIPITATION FROM A DEVELOPING LOW
PRESSURE SYSTEM WITH ABUNDANT MOISTURE MOVING NORTHWARD ALONG THE
COASTAL PLAIN OR JUST OFF THE EASTERN SEABOARD TUESDAY NIGHT INTO
WEDNESDAY. THE 12Z ECMWF/GGEM AND GFS ENSEMBLES INDICATE MORE OF A
WESTWARD TREND IN THE TRACK OF THIS POTENTIAL SYSTEM

Overall, great job by snowmaking crew!  The mountain looks more like mid December than November. Great coverage, no bare spots or rocks, and blowing snow on showcase, wild air, and others.  Looks like a fantastic Thanksgiving weekend of skiing coming up.

Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
i don't remember gore being in such good shape for opening weekend. (i'm not counting the short vert opening last weekend.) the snowmaking crew has set the bar high this year. i agree about skiers left. i never thought i would be skiing in powder in november. i want people to take the pledge right now " i will not second guess and/or critcize gore's snowmaking this year." go ahead, say it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I had a hell of a lot of fun today.

The place was empty, but it seemed like many of the usual suspects were in attendance.

Suds
Suds running the guns

Blog post coming tomorrow am.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by frk
frk wrote
i don't remember gore being in such good shape for opening weekend. (i'm not counting the short vert opening last weekend.)
Agree.  Great start.  Keep it comin'.  We didn't ski today (Sunday), but yesterday was pretty sweet for this early in the season, especially the last 2 hours during the lake effect dumpage.

With snowmakers set up to expand terrain, I'm thinking next weekend looks real good, even if we end up with some not-so-desirable semi-frozen precip Tues night / Weds.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Nice!  

The Gore forecast looks better starting in a few hours:

Today Rain, freezing rain, and sleet before 3pm, then rain and sleet between 3pm and 4pm, then snow after 4pm. High near 39. West wind 13 to 17 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime ice accumulation of 0.1 to 0.2 of an inch possible. Total daytime snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Tonight Snow, mainly before 1am. Low around -4. Wind chill values as low as -26. Windy, with a northwest wind 26 to 31 mph decreasing to 16 to 21 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Thanksgiving Day Partly sunny, with a high near 19. Wind chill values as low as -14. Windy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph increasing to 21 to 26 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 43 mph.

Thursday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 2. Wind chill values as low as -11. Northwest wind 8 to 16 mph.

Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 19. Northwest wind 5 to 9 mph.

Friday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 0.

Saturday Sunny, with a high near 24.

Saturday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 8.

Sunday A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 30. Chance of precipitation is 40%

My kingdom for a cam at 1500.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
My kingdom for a cam at 1500.
Apparently, there are people on this forum who are vehemently against that for some reason.

Radar looks interesting right now. Rain looks to be clearing out (hardly the 6+ hours of rain that some pessimist predicted), snow later. Hopefully it won't all blow off the mountain and I'll be able to slide on something other than ice before turkey tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

CUontheslopes131
In reply to this post by DackerDan
Agreed on the base building comment. It'd be better if it were 8-12" but a solid 6" of icy compacted snow does wonders to cover up the first set of rocks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Radar looks interesting right now. Rain looks to be clearing out (hardly the 6+ hours of rain that some pessimist predicted), snow later. Hopefully it won't all blow off the mountain and I'll be able to slide on something other than ice before turkey tomorrow.
Current conditons

12345 ... 18