Darkside Shaman
Hawkeye and Open Pit were like sweet cream cheese today
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

freeheeln
shaman, nordica's were the right utensil for the cream cheese . lower mt skied excellent also .
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Uncas skied good in the morning, was really scraped off by afternoon.  Hawkeye was whale back city.  Not bumped, but it was a totally different hawkeye.  Pine knot was actually a great run today.  Bottom of the mountain was great.  They are blowing snow everywhere.  Odds are they will knock down the whale backs Friday.  Lies has a ton of guns on it and some massive mounds.  

FYI, talked to one of my lifty buddies who runs the Topridge Chair, they sped it up this year.  Just looked back at my GPS logs and it looks like they cut a minute and a half off the ride.  Its down to 8 min and some change.  
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
what a great day to ski today. wind blown pockets of powder, whale backs, packed powder corduroy the entire day, no skiers. i think this is the best start in 10 years. there are even guns blowing at bottom of rumor.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Everything is wall to wall. There a very decent amount of terrain open, and while most is firm, 90% is really edgeable.

Lower mountain was probably the easiest to have fun with.

Snoopy View

Lies Opened.  I've never had so much fun in a killing fields.

REALLY fun skiing today.  Will try to post some pics after dinner.

It's snowing lightly, maybe an inch so far. Roads are slippy.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Spent most of the day up top.  The snowmaking crews did a fantastic job on the summit, adding Chati, Hawkeye, Lies and Open Pit and Headwaters since last weekend.  Everything was chalky and edgeable, Chati was my pic of the day, especially lower Chati under the guns.  Here's my friend Rachel on upper Chati.  My 9-yr-old son Daniel is already out of sight, somewhere down the trail.

Thermometer at the Straightbrook quad never cracked the zero mark, but thankfully there was very little wind so the cold was tolerable.  Tomorrow is looking to be pretty deluxe.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Saturday was all about the summit trails, but the lower mountain skied best on Sunday.  Most of the steeper pitches on the summit trails were pretty scraped on Sunday although there were still some pockets of soft snow along the sides.  The blue cruisers on the lower mountain held consistent, soft skier-packed powder all day.  Headwaters / Cloud stayed nice.

Chati on Sunday:

Cloud:

Great weekend, both days.  My tr and pics here.

DackerDan wrote
There was no tolerance for people ducking ropes, lots of folks had their tickets clipped or season passes pulled.
We saw a lot of tracks on Sunday but it really didn't look that enticing.  I think we're one solid storm away.  Thanks to those who poached on Sunday for packing the base in.  We did stick a toe in some low-pitched woods on Saturday and while it was fun the on-piste was better.  I was a little surprised Chatterbox didn't open on Sunday - it looked like the upper half was good to go.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by DackerDan
DackerDan wrote
There was no tolerance for people ducking ropes, lots of folks had their tickets clipped or season passes pulled.

"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Lol.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
DackerDan wrote

Poachin is a brave and generous public service. Poachers should be justly rewarded!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Wonder if ticket pulling or warnings for poaching is going to become more common at Gore ? For years it's been ok to poach away.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
From a legal point of view, isn't it all state land and therefore perfectly OK to "poach?"  Looking at it another way, if someone were to skin up Burnt Ridge on Sunday, would they be at risk of having their pass pulled?  And if not, what is the difference if they were to duck the rope on Twister?  Does the fact that a lift was used make a difference?  Are the guys that skin up before the lifts open at risk for losing their season pass?  Technically all the trails are closed at that time.  I guess its a matter of where you draw the line, but it can get blurry quick.  Has anyone really lost their season pass?  If so, I wouldn't be surprised if that couldn't see its day in court.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I feel like we talked about the whole "state land" issue before, but I'm too lazy to look for it.I think the short story was that there was another part of NYS law dealing with Ski Resorts that overrides the State Land argument, but I've always wondered about that whole issue when I ski certain sections of a certain hiking trail.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Kids where ducking into Chatterbox left and right today.  

Guns going on the top and bottom of Rumor.  Groomers still need to do some work up top to get that stuff to shake out a bit better.  

Lower mountain was great.  Last run down on Showcase felt like the first of the day with the snow they got throughout the day.  
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
DackerDan wrote
As much as we all want to be free and unfettered, we still live in a land of laws.
Laws only have power if people enforce them (cough, cough). These laws aren't enforced, so the fact that they exist on the books is meaningless:

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/new-york
1234567 ... 18