12345678 ... 18
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
mattchuck2 wrote
...I've always wondered about that whole issue when I ski certain sections of a certain hiking trail...
Me too.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by DackerDan
DackerDan wrote
(read that as any glade that is not designated for glade skiing).
Aren't glades designated for skiing? Otherwise it's just trees
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
DackerDan wrote
Laws that are inconsistently enforced are worse
You think those laws in that link I posted should be enforced? Or just thrown out? You answer HAS TO be the same answer as the woods policy law at Gore.

Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Lower mountain skied great all day.  Lies was groomed up rather nicely, there is a second headwall that I don't think was there last year.  They  had even more guns on Rumor today, I bet that thing is open by the weekend.  Guns are going everywhere up.  Darkside was fun, lower darby glades were open.  They have some snow to push around over there.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
mattchuck2 wrote
DackerDan wrote
Laws that are inconsistently enforced are worse
You think those laws in that link I posted should be enforced? Or just thrown out? You answer HAS TO be the same answer as the woods policy law at Gore.

"Blind unquestioning obedience is the law of tyrants and slaves..."

Lord Simon -1947
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Footer
Footer wrote
....lower darby glades were open....
Amazing.  Based on past experience I was going on the assumption ~ 40 inches of snow at Gore was required to open (vs ski) the trees.  Looks like the number is lower than that.

Dark Side glade tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Harvey wrote

Dark Side glade tomorrow.
There is some really nice snow in there.  First few people in are going to have a lot of fun.  
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
it was kinda thick gakky slabby around that area
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
In reply to this post by Footer
many years ago, the grim faced ski patrol would pull your ticket if it even looked like you jumped off a mogul. then they would knock the "jump" down. you got the same treatment for skiing at the edge of the trail. you were accused of skiing "in the woods". let's not go back to this policy. let's follow the vermont rule of skiing everything within the ski area boundries with the exception of no skiing closed trails. however, gore has a hx of roping off perfectly skiable trails, especially during the week (especially glades). why? i've heard the excuse of "saving them for the weekend" which doesn't pass muster with me. but, i also believe that the wood skiing knowledge of the average gore skier is lacking. unlike Jay or MRG skiers who understand the dangers of premature wood skiing, the average gore tourist does not have the experience for good decision making. maybe gore needs its version of THE STAKE like stowe as a way to educate the skiers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
frk wrote
maybe gore needs its version of THE STAKE like stowe as a way to educate the skiers.
Love this idea.  

Need the right spot. An open, but protected area, out of the way of snowmaking.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
There's a good spot right near that tower on top.

I actually don't mind people going in this early. They pack it down, establish a good base for me to ski later. Bonus: if DackerDan yanks their passes, it's less competition for me later in the season when the skiing will be a lot better in there.

But let's not act like MRG and Jay tree skiers are any better than those at Gore. Everyone who skis the trees is the same. Upper Intermediate plus, with varying degrees of knowledge, experience and skill. Gore probably has more acreage of Glades than MRG anyway, almost up to the level of Jay.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
What the heck, this is somewhat confusing. To me, passes being yanked at Gore is very unusual. Many times I've seen people ski out of closed trails/woods and patrol was standing right there. They did nothing. I've seen people enter into closed trails/woods as patrol watched and did nada. So hands off seemed to be the policy. Cool !

Now if that's changed it would be good to know BEFOREHAND. Maybe it has, maybe it hasn't. If it has, some may not be able to say on here.

So maybe Uncle Harv could kindly enquire and let us know before people get their passes yanked for something that was always permissible before. We're talking $80 on holidays plus expenses. More if it's a family.

It would help others, which is why I bring it up.

So Harv, find out soon please, the holidays are coming. If it's changed let us know.

If it hasn't changed, silence confirms.  
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
the hard core gore tree skiers are as good as any east coasters. i'm talking about the casual glade skier. snow making has taken the danger and unknown out of skiing. anyone who grew up skiing natural snow trails, knows that danger lurked everywhere in forms of dirt, rocks, roots, etc. you were always cautious because the conditions were always marginal. today the conditions at gore were as close to perfect as possible, maybe nirvana. the snow pack was so deep. there were no natural hazards only other skiers. i'm afraid that glade newbies might not realize the hazards of natural snow terrain.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Pretty sure someone can't just come on here and say: "ski the trees! Patrol doesn't give a shit!"

I'm sure you're a likeable enough guy to talk yourself out of any trouble, Snowballs.

Back on topic, are they giving a date for Rumor opening?
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by frk
While you're at harv, find out if it's ok to Twerk on the new deck.  

.....on the Gondi, in the Saddle Lodge, OH! in the lift lines,,,,

" You know you want it. Got to have a little TWERK LINES !

Just where can we get our Twerk on dude ?

Twerk Twerk Twerk.

Wonder if Em twerks ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
mattchuck2 wrote
Pretty sure someone can't just come on here and say: "ski the trees! Patrol doesn't give a shit!"

I'm sure you're a likeable enough guy to talk yourself out of any trouble, Snowballs.

Back on topic, are they giving a date for Rumor opening?
Right. But if the policy's changed, someone could say that on here.

That would Twerk!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by frk
Also, there are casual (read:shitty) glade skiers at MRG and Jay, too. Anyone who walks outside on their porch in the winter is familiar with "natural hazards". Nobody is skiing a bumped up, whaled, Chatie like it was on Sunday, then getting suddenly surprised when they see sticks in a Forest. Come on, man.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Come on, man !
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Gore has had up their "cold woods" signs for as long as I have been skiing there.  Would not surprise me if they actually start enforcing a no closed glades policy.  Now, I have never seen them keep a marked run closed if the lift is running, even midweek.  Hell, they drop ropes in the high peaks area and the north quad area when neither lifts are running midweek all the time.  

Personally, I don't want to see patrol have to go into the woods and pull someone out because they jumped a rope.  It is a waste of resources... and if that person decides to sue for their ACL they popped it raises my ticket price.  
12345678 ... 18