Gore Conditions (2015 - 2016)

547 messages Options
1234 ... 55
Petronio Petronio
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Gore Conditions (2015 - 2016)

What do people think are the chances of Gore having some open trails Thanksgiving weekend?  This heat wave is not encouraging.

Petronio
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

Re: Gore Conditions

using the current long range..50/50 chance..
"Peace and Love"
Hudsonhiker Hudsonhiker
Reply |

Gores new map is on their website. I’m glad I’m not a newcomer to the mountain. Not sure if it’s much better then the old. Map is outta scale, distorted. I couldn’t do better but seems someone could. I’ve seen Mad Rivers map it’s good. Smaller mountain with less aspects probably easier to depict. Does this post go here or in improvements section ?
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Here is fine.

I actually thought the map was good for someone who doesn't know their way around.

Here it is:

http://www.goremountain.com/files/public/PRI-0703_GORE_MapInsert.pdf

Still trying to figure out how to slice it up and put it in the directory. Can't figure out how to turn a pdf into a sharp jpg.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
DomB DomB
Reply |

I can second that the map is good for someone who doesn't know their way around!  I was at Gore for the first time last season (really loved it) for a clinic, and I think this map conveys the separate areas (and how to get back and forth) better.  
marznc marznc
Reply |

Having only skied Gore a couple times, I also think the new map is a bit better.

The best ski maps are by James Niehues.  His paintings of ski mountains are the basis for trail maps for close to 400 places, big and small.  He recently redid Alta to replace the painting he did about 20 years ago.  The new version shows the Supreme and Wildcat terrain much more clearly.  Also redid the new combined Park City and Canyons terrain.  Talk about a complex ski resort!  A couple years ago, he redid Big Sky after Moonlight was bought.

http://www.jamesniehues.com

He's been explaining his process on his Facebook page the last couple years.  Posts pics of the work in progress.

https://www.facebook.com/JamesNiehues/
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Sounds like Ted was right.  Locals hearing guns from the hill tonight.
northerncajun northerncajun
Reply |

Harvey,

What percentage of Gore is usually open by Christmas?

I am going with my girls on the 28th till the 1st.
gebbyfish gebbyfish
Reply |

Gore has a photo of them blowing snow on their FB from today!
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

It's like the old days, Showcase first. Looks like Sno is getting his AE2 wish.

northerncajun I don't pay too much attention to this stuff as we go no matter what. It's what we do at Christmas. I could guess at your question, but the guy who could quote you stats is a snoloco.  Odds are also decent that you will have to listen to some other stuff to go with it, but hey, nothing is free.

I'll try too since you asked: The weather for any specific year is of course a crap shoot. So far it has been pretty warm, but who knows.

My guess for a "normal" year: much of the front, some of Topridge (Pine Knot and Uncas?) and some of the summit (Headwaters, Hawkeye, Open Pit, Lies?) Maybe starting in the Darkside right around Christmas. Who can remember. Others please chime in.
1234 ... 55