classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
547 messages Options
12345 ... 28
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

snoloco
They've expanded snowmaking to Sunway, Lower Sleighride, and The Arena.  I'm thinking just Showcase and AE2 for this weekend and then later Sleighride and Sunway open.  Gondola should be open by 12/5 or 12/12, whenever Topridge is ready.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
Do we know for sure that Gore will be open on Friday???
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Monday November 23 via anonymous txt
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by CMR
CMR wrote
for sure

"Open. Showcase."
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
From the Gov.  Gore Friday, WF Thursday:
Whiteface, Gore set to open

The Gov could use a remedial spelling lesson though.  "Skiing" is spelled with an "S" :
GOVERNOR CUOMO ANNOUNCES START OF 2015-16 KIING AND RIDING SEASON IN NEW YORK
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
On that Whiteface link (and nowhere else) it says "Gore Mountain plans to kick off the winter season late morning on Friday."

Just wondering what "late morning" means
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Spongeworthy wrote
On that Whiteface link (and nowhere else) it says "Gore Mountain plans to kick off the winter season late morning on Friday."

Just wondering what "late morning" means
10am
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Drove by Gore this morning on the way to Lake Placid.  Base looking more white than brown.  Temp was about 32 at noon.

Snow showers just out of North Creek after lunch.  Cold enough to stick on the road.

CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
Gore site states opening at 10AM Friday.  Although only Showcase will be open, I'll see you there...
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I'll be waiting until Saturday, but I'm pumped. Snowmaking temps at night and bearable temps in the day for the AEII = perfect.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
More than a few of the usual suspects were at Gore today.

Bueller?
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
I did 2 runs before noon. Snow was surprisingly good. Not sticky at all, but wearing away fast in 2 spots on the lower part of Showcase.

Weather does not look promising. It's 57 at my cabin and H2O is on the way.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Harvey
WROD. Snow was soft ,shirts were sweaty,cover was thin. Not really crowded,still it helped to pick an open window to hop in. Patrol was making an appearance to keep the reckless from wrecking others. Some quick foot work was needed in a few places to avoid the mines. From tower 11-7 was a no stop zone as it was very narrow,as well as the last drop down to the chair. Boy was it fun to to be sliding ,riding,chatting and catching up with friends on a warm sunny day.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Our assessment is that the AE2 is an improvement to early season operations.  The terrain on showcase is steeper and more interesting than the meandering greens that were previously available, and seems to be more efficient in terms of ground to cover with snow.  As with any early season terrain, too many overeager/underskilled skiers/riders.  The last two hours were the best, we had the place to ourselves.  One final question, why are the ticket people so adamantly against giving pass holders a zip tie for their passes if they don't want a lanyard?  I say if a customer is purchasing a $700 pass, this small indulgence could be permitted.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Ae2_rocks.  Big fog good skiing some spots very thin.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by evergreen
evergreen wrote
zip tie for their passes
This is a good idea. Not sure why I didn't think of it. I wear the same pants almost all the time.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
One run and done for me. Half of one trail (and a lot of that with rocks) is not worth it, even in the early season.

Killington tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Lateski
mattchuck2 wrote
One run and done for me. Half of one trail (and a lot of that with rocks) is not worth it, even in the early season.

Killington tomorrow.
One run for me also, I felt Gore was not safe today, too many skiers/boarders on a very tight and sketchy trail.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Spoke to Mike today, ran into him on the hill.  He was optimistic about blowing tonight on Showcase.  Below freezing but humidity is high.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Due to a late start in the morning, snodad and I ended up at Gore instead of Killington, since it was closer.  Very thin WROD and it looked like there was lots of snow that they didn't push onto the skiable part of the trail which sucked.  Still, we had fun getting out for the first regular season trip.  I think the new lift arrangement is much better than what they did before.  I just wish they had more coverage and maybe Sunway to Quicksilver open as well.

If I could get it completely my way, Opening day terrain would be two full runs, one being Sunway to Quicksilver, and the other being Showcase.  There'd be a mini park on The Arena.  This would be served by the AE2 of course.  Weather dictates what can open, but it shouldn't be hard to blow snow on two trails concurrently so there can be less of a WROD at opening day.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
12345 ... 28