classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
547 messages Options
1 ... 17181920212223 ... 28
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

TomCat
It looks like they made some snow on sagamore, but no guns today when i was on the lift.  I did hear on a patroller`s radio of a broken hydrant. No other info on that, though.

Overall conditions were very good today. Hard and fast and nice. Very light crowd.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
The one I'm wondering about is Open Pit.   . . . .It's a nice alternative to Hawkeye/Chati for upper intermediates.  Wonder why it it's stayed closed for so long now.
What I like about Open Pit is the ability to bail out to Cloud halfway down -- it really let me introduce a very short, but challenging, black diamond slope to my kids.  It helps they can see the exit as soon as they enter.  They like to loop around to ski all of Headwaters rather than take Open Pit all the way.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Got a late start today as i thought it was going to be cold early. But it wasn't bad when i arrived around 9:45 and got much nicer as the day went on. Flags were blowing, but it never felt windy. We heard that uncas and echo were very icy so we stayed on the lower mountain. Everything skied well even with the heavier crowds.  With uncas as the only way to the summit, it was disapointing that it was in rough shape. It looked like the summit was getting very little traffic.

Guns going on sagamore and a few on sunway. I didnt see anything else.

Heading back to the flatlands tomorrow morning.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Thanks TomCat. Sagamore listed as a go with snowmaking.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Be careful on sagamore tomorrow. I dont mean it will be dangerous - to anything other than ski bases

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Who's skiing Gore today?

I'm waiting for the morning conditions report.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Harvey wrote
Who's skiing Gore today?

I'm waiting for the morning conditions report.
Auntie Em will have the conditions reported promptly at 3pm
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Excellent morning at Gore, Sagamore about to open, no wind on top, sunny
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
No snowmaking on the best day to make snow and no lifts running with no wind.  You can't make this stuff up
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
It's President's Weekend.  My guess is that snowmaking is done for the year.  
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Spoke with Mike while we were waiting around the lodge today and he said they will blow snow again.  No more on Sagamore though.  The headwalls may see a hudson snowstorm again though.  Today was an epic fail.  I heard two reasons why the summit was not open with the official one being -28 with 35 mile an hour winds...although you wouldn't know it from the lack of wind on top of Bear.  Conditions were groomed very nice on all frontside runs except Twister.  Major issues with the Gondola with two very lengthy shut downs...and for the lack of lifts it was crowded...but hey one day out of a huge season.
Ski tomorrow, it's a holiday and conditions should be excellent  
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
I am proud to call gore my home mountain as well, but the BS about snowmaking in their snow report just puts me off. There is no snowmaking anywhere on the mountain since at least Saturday, just let the public know what's going on, dont lie.

edit: good day today, bottom trails are windy, top was excellent, especially when sun was out.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I went to Gore today, I thought the top was excellent. First thing in the AM you could pop over the top of Lies, lay them over and let the run all the way to the bottom. Hawk & Chati were great as well, Pit not so much. Stayed off Rumor per advice from others who had already been there. Never made it over to BR, when the sun disappeared, so did I.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

green light
In reply to this post by Denis.N
The last mention about snowmaking on the website stated that snow makers were "recently" on  the mountain. By the way, lies was the place to be today.
its a beautiful thing
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Kinda crazy day today with smiles abound
The day started with about 4-5" of fluff with an inch thick crust on top here at Shaman HQ. 30hp Diesel with a 60" blower made quick work of it, but I was amazed at the drastic lack of cars making their way to the hill.
Got on the gondi in pea soup fog and up we went. It was so foggy at top of Bear that we thought the top wasn't open yet, so we did a lower martin lap and back up we went. Realized top was open and headed over to Topridge and met with Suds. Topridge was a hoot! Up to the summit we went and we were rewarded with cream cheese thick butter pow Hit Rumor first and realized that slightly lower angle terrain would hold the snow better due to the rock hard base, so off to Lies with Upper upper as an appetizer. Next up was Au Natural followed by a slide down to the mine.
Played around up top for a few hours as the wind howled, temp rose, and rainfall became steadier. Headed down to lower martin to head home, and couldn't resist 3 laps on Little Dippity Doo and Twin Chee Choo, and as usual what an outstanding end to a eastern pow day, face shots and freshies
Once again the old saying holds true for all of you flinchers...you got to go to know
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

ka2kci
According to the Gore website, they didn't lose any trail count from last weekend due to the snow/rain event yesterday.  Does anybody have the real story regarding the status of the High Peaks Chair? They had blown a lot of snow over there but it is still not open.  Is the chair DOA???
Matt
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
Kinda crazy day today with smiles abound
The day started with about 4-5" of fluff with an inch thick crust on top here at Shaman HQ. 30hp Diesel with a 60" blower made quick work of it,
Yours is bigger than mine.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by ka2kci
ka2kci wrote
According to the Gore website, they didn't lose any trail count from last weekend due to the snow/rain event yesterday.  Does anybody have the real story regarding the status of the High Peaks Chair? They had blown a lot of snow over there but it is still not open.  Is the chair DOA???
I think the issue is more due to the loss of base snow as you approach the bottom of Wood Lot, but I will get the scoop on this today (if there is one)
Yesterday the whole place was overall pretty damn slick, but Auntie Em and her band of lame reporting states that 100% of open terrain has been groomed. It's about fucking time!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Skied with Darkside Shaman today. Good to see the sunshine and blue skies, but it was pretty cold. Most of the mountain was really hard and fast. A lot of places had patches or barely covered patches of total ice. The only places with snow being blown was the top of the straightbrook chair along cloud (above the entrance to Lies) at the summit and Sunway which had some of the fan guns blowing (a few were just spraying water). It will take time & commitment or a real storm to get the mountain fixed up. Also, the place was EMPTY for a vacation week.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

telerider
Thanks for the update Darkside Shaman and CY.  Sounds like how it's been skiing for most of January (firm and fast).  Did anyone dare poke in the woods after Tuesday's event?  Maybe warmer temps will soften up the bulletproof this weekend?
1 ... 17181920212223 ... 28