Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Darkside Shaman
This post was updated on .
Adk Jeff wrote
sig wrote
my guess is we are going to need a way to get down from the top so they have to blow some snow. spring skiing on sunday?
Theoretically you just need Uncas to go up and Tannery to get back down.  Download the gondi.  But yeah, I guess you’d want to have at least one or two frontside trails skiable for non-experts given it’s the last weekend in February.

YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
The official excuse from those in the know was that they froze a snowmaking pipe on the Darkside and they couldn't make enough snow for the Wood Lot area around the base of the chair. (Don't shoot the messenger)
How bout the Pit?  And sorry, but since we’re all pissed about the weather, we may have to shoot you anyway.

Harvey wrote
If anyone could post a shot of the East Side from the base, it would be appreciated.
Well it’s not a photo, but there’s this description from Gore’s Facebook page:  Base Area looks a little sad at the moment- ignore it and head up- we are open!

Harvey wrote
Txt from Shaman says the last two days (today and yesterday) the skiing has exceeded expectations. I think.
That’s setting the bar pretty low…

Sorry to be such a grumpy old man.  Maybe I should steal that avatar from PeeTex.
Well lat t da to you Mr panzy ass powder hog!!

Here's the scoop from today:

Blowing snow at Saddle and at base along with Sunway and Quicksilver. Both of those trails were very sweet. Up top everything groomed but Rumor and I must say hats off to the groomers as it was pretty fucking sweet today Headwall on lies as well as all other places was sweet carveable snow.
For the weekend with extra traffic, I would expect things to get skied off quickly so get there bright and early kids and enjoy each and every day, as you never know when they will pull the plug
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Web site says burnt ridge and north open tomorrow.  Certainly some good news.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Thank you for the update.
Sincerely,
Mr. P.A.P.H.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Proof that Gore needs more snowmaking capacity ASAP.

Sorry, but it had to be said.  
Why???
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
Thank you for the update.
Sincerely,
Mr. P.A.P.H.

Sunday will be the day
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by pro2860
pro2860 wrote
snoloco wrote
Proof that Gore needs more snowmaking capacity ASAP.Sorry, but it had to be said.  
Why???
Pro thanks for taking the pressure off me👍
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote

Sunday will be the day

sunday does look like the day. soft snow, people drinking on the deck, just a typical
spring day in february
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
pro2860 wrote
snoloco wrote
Proof that Gore needs more snowmaking capacity ASAP.Sorry, but it had to be said.  
Why???
Pro thanks for taking the pressure off me👍
Glad to help
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Today was surprisingly really good. Firm and fast, but grooming made most trails edge-able. The only two trails I thought were icy messes were Foxlair and Showcase. Summit was really good early, especially Lies.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Duck T. R.
I decided to beat the crowd and go to Brunt Ridge early. I made a dozen runs on Sagamore and Echo, great conditions. I didn't realize it was a weekend until I took the north chair to the Saddle.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Conditions were great today. Possibly the best day of the year.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

ka2kci
Agreed!  Today was awesome...Sping conditions with Bluebird sun and soft carve-able snow.  Best day yet for me this season.  Who could want more? (other than two feet of blower powder...nevermind!). Big props to the snow makers and the groomers.  Gore has bounced back from a series of torrential rain storms better than I have ever seen them do.  There is still plenty of snow out there and many more turns to be had.  Pick of the day for me was Sagamore...I must have lapped it a dozen times.  I had to stop at three o'clock this afternoon because I had nothing left.  There were no lift lines and I skied continuously from 8 o'clock.  Get it while you can!!!
Matt
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Another great day today. Groomers did an excellent job.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Skiing corduroy at 3:45...very loud.  Probably the worst I've skied in a long time...but I did it again and again
I am not ready to give up the season
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Midweek for Gore?

adksara
Now that they're blowing snow again to patch things up, how much longer do you think they'll keep the mountain open midweek?
Keep your skis happy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Hey Mike... Midweek, weekends, closing? What you thinkin?

"Not even close.  Grooming is ringing the bell every night.  Still spot snowmaking."

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Conditions today were slick. No Rumor, Lies, Open Pit, or Sagamore. They were blowing snow on all the necessary high traffic spots and had blown on Sunway, (maybe?) Quicksilver, 3B, and Twister for the upcoming race.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Not bad today. A little ice here and there. Vibe is good.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Well, its got to be said, way cool they're still making snow this late. Especially considering they probably had a low skier visit year. Well done Gore !

Anybody remember them making snow this late before ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Sylvie (my daughter) and I skied Gore yesterday.  Beth and Daniel had other Saturday plans.  Skied most of the open terrain (skipped Burnt Ridge and the North side).  Snowmaking and grooming crews had done a good job patching up Arena and the base area so that the "sad" conditions reported on Facebook last week looked totally presentable.  Actually, Arena probably looked as good as it has all winter.

Uncas, icy but skiable.  Quite a few skiers floundering below Sylvie (in the green and pink):

Coverage is good on all open terrain, but surface conditions are extremely firm (OK, icy.  There, I said it JTG).  Rumor wasn't open, and I don't think Lies was either.  We skied past Lies just once (to ski Headwaters) and I forgot to look, but I didn't see anybody on it all day.  Was hoping to find a fun line or two on Hawkeye or Chati, but not really.  Still can't figure out this one (Open Pit):

Sun was bright and the sky was a filtered blue with high thin clouds.  Temps stayed in the 20s all day, so there was no softening, even down at the base.  Beautiful views of the High Peaks though:

Spot snowmaking continued during the day on several of the key connector trails, including Headwaters, Tannery, Sunway and the saddle area.  They're blowing into piles with the apparent strategy of stockpiling snow so that late season terrain can be connected to the chairlift tops & bottoms.  The best conditions by far were those places where the guns were going.  This is lower Headwaters:

Overall the mountain was probably in better shape than I expected in terms of coverage.  The skiing itself was mostly once & done type runs, and we wrapped up early (2pm-ish).  It's hard not to be disappointed the way this season has gone, but hats off to Gore for trying everything possible to give skiers the most skiing and the best conditions possible.  

1 ... 20212223242526 ... 28