547 messages Options
1 ... 2425262728
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

TomCat
snoloco wrote
Looks like the lower mountain is done after this weekend.  Maybe April 2/3 with gondola downloading is a possibility if the upper mountain is doing better.
I was last there wednesday and things are better than that photo indicates. A lot of snow on twister and quicksilver. Showcase not as good. If its not too warm next week i think we could be skiing in april (without downloading ).

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Wow. Was 75 when I left the flats at 1:30, 35 and snowing up here at 1900. Did not think I would be lighting a fire tonight.  Bring it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
All systems go on Rumor for tomorrow.
Woohoo!  Planning on being there!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
A pretty good argument for skiing this weekend:

Snowing up here now. Colder down at the river than it is up here.

I'm pumped that tomorrow's high has been raised up.

And I had paella.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Super fun off the hook day.

I'm at Scotty's getting an escape breakfast.

But I recommend you ski tomorrow.

Everything at the top was good.  Uncas possibly best.

Twister most functional at the bottom.  Nice too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Cornhead and I skied Gore today Sat. 3/26/16 and it was Great! Sunny Skies, Warm soft snow, just a fantastic day.

A few pics:

Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I was there today too. It really was a great day. I thought my season was going to be over last weekend when Plattekill closed, but it just didn't feel right. It felt great to get out on some really good snow today. It was also exciting to meet SkiRay, and the other guy who I can't remember his name now. It looks like quite a few forum members were also there today.

The top skied very well, But Twister was great for laying it in deep, and fast. I skied it 4 times in a row at the end of the day.

Harvey, you got those pics?
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

ka2kci
I can't believe that I missed all you guys on the mountain today.  This was spring skiing at its best!  The morning started out as carve-able groom and soon turned to corn.  Lies was awesome and it was nice to be on Rumor again.  I saw my surgeon today on the mountain (I just had two hip replacements in the past year) and was happy to tell him that I am skiing better now than I have been in about 10 years.  It is nice to have two new hips!  Its not over yet...but get out soon (tomorrow) before its gone.
Matt
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I hope they make it but I think next week is a stretch.  Today was great.  Lies was my favorite and I think Hawk-i-Mac was my second favorite.  I skied Rumor 5 times but it was too much work.  The only thing that sucked about Lies was getting to it.  I am going to start a petition to legitimize upper upper Darby to make access to Lies easier from the Straightbrook Chair
I have not ruled out tomorrow but it would be morning only as I have to take the family for brunch and golf in the afternoon
There is no way today was my last day of the year
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
It was also exciting to meet SkiRay, and the other guy who I can't remember his name now.

I couldn't believe how empty the parking lot was on such a beautiful spring skiing day.  If Gore is shooting to re-open next weekend, that just shows you how hard they are working to please their passholders, 'cause it sure can't be that they're staying open for huge numbers of walk-ups.  Anyone who had fun skiing this weekend should send a thank-you email to the mountain.  They are really trying hard to make the best of a tough season.

I felt like I knew 50% of the skiers there today.  Super fun day.  Great skiing with SkiRay and his family in the morning.

Lies was my pick of the day.  Rumor was fun too but I thought the bottom half was getting pretty bony.  Lots of unmarked obstacles poking through, but thanks to Ski Patrol and management for letting us have at it.

Only skied the lower mountain when we came down at the end of the day, but Sunway -> Quick seemed to be in reasonably good shape.

Too lazy to post pics, sorry...

Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
Really fun skiing today.  Headed straight up top ,found everything to be skiing well. Soft and creamy. The view was awesome, clouds low to the east. Trails proper have plenty of coverage getting to and fro getting mighty lean. They are saying 'see you next weekend.Jeff ,Upper Open Pit skied very nicely.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
For those of you have read the front page, you should already have the scoop on just how awesome this weekend at Gore was. However, I think this picture can visually sum things up pretty well. Beautiful Platty Blue sky, and perfect spring Corn on The Rumor. Photo creds go to Harvey himself.

Anyone know if Gore is going to get another weekend?
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Cut from the website "we look forward to re-opening for Saturday-Sunday, April 2-3. "  I'm there if it happens   Whiteface tomorrow
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Whats up for this weekend?? Sat. & Sun. 4/2 and 4/3/16?

Gores claiming only one trail, Twister and 1 lift Adirondak Express. With $25. lift tics
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Ouch. That really stinks. I figured there would be more than just twister. The warmth must have really taken a toll.

Maybe they will get some snow out of the clipper on Saturday night. Too little too late at this point I think.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by Big D
Big D wrote
Gores claiming only one trail, Twister and 1 lift Adirondak Express. With $25. lift tics
Better make sure its not closed for racing before heading out.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
TomCat wrote
Better make sure its not closed for racing before heading out.

Tom
Now that is some funny shit. Way to make light of a bad situation:)
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Big D wrote
Whats up for this weekend?? Sat. & Sun. 4/2 and 4/3/16?

Truthfully I'm surprised they're bothering to open at all for this weekend.  The main parking lot was barely half full last Saturday with primo spring conditions.  When you add together the crappy weather forecast, low attendance, and terrain that must have been decimated by the warm temps and rain the past few days, IMO they should just call it a season and go out on a high note.  As far as I'm concerned you can't call it closing weekend without the summit.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Big D wrote
Is that the First Tracks deal?
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Petronio
I'll be up tomorrow to clean out the condo . . . a grim end to a grim season.  

Crappy weather + continual scheduling conflicts = $$$$$ per day of skiing this season.  

Probably won't bother to go ski Twister.  Walking through mud to the AE II would probably only be more of a downer.

Petronio
1 ... 2425262728