classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
547 messages Options
1 ... 2122232425262728
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

PeeTex
I drove over to Gore and met a friend yesterday. Got there about 9. Uncas was OK. Hawkeye was nice. Lies was open, the side chutes were marked off as they were glaze and the headwall was very slick, my edges were not up to snuff, tried to chop it but did a side slide instead. One and done on that one. Twister and Quick Silver had the best snow. Was done by noon. I have had it with this season, I'm going back to hiking and biking on the warm days.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
I had a somewhat better experience today. I spent the first runs on burnt ridge. Sagamore not good at all, but echo was very nice. I think 4 trips down echo. Then I headed up top, Hawkeye was very nice and Chetimac was decent but not great.  did not try Lies.After lunch I went back to the summit and Headwaters was very nice. Hawkeye was getting a bit rough. But with the sun out I gave Uncas another shot and it had just softened up nicely. A few  laps and then tried toprideg since I saw a bunch of traffic there and it also was very nice. Finished at the North, which wasn't so good late in the day. Overall a good day.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
Early morn cord was good, never warmed up by the time we left =firm.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

ka2kci
I had a pretty good day at Gore today.  Again, I thought that they did an excellent job of recovering from the rain last week.  They had blown snow on Twister, Wild Air, Sunway, Quicksilver and Headwaters.  With sharp edges, I had no problems on any other of the trails.  Topridge, Uncas, and Echo all turned to corn since they were in the direct sun.  Those three trails were the picks of the day.  I skied from first Gondi at 8:06 to the last chair at 4:00 with 28 runs.  No lifelines.  I am skiing on two new total replacement hips and am skiing better than I have in about ten years.  Since I have missed two years of skiing due to the hip problems, I am happy to be back despite the lack of natural snow.  No complaints from me!
Matt
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Gore skied well again today. Probably got close to an inch up high. Maybe a little drizzle lower based on the chair cushions. It didnt seem to hold up too much better than yesterday despite no crowds. Twister and hawkeye are my picks for the day.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Hero snow.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
Hero snow.
+1, except a bit sticky early afternoon. But i was down low then which was a mistake. Anyway i mis the darkside when it gets this warm. North quad skied much better after 2:00 pm.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
Hero snow.
Definitely , rated 2 heels up!
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Duck T. R.
 Great spring skiing
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Duck T. R. wrote
Great spring skiing
Hero snow part Deux.

It's going fast. Get it while you can!
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
How long do you think we have Yukon?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
This post was updated on .
The issue is the above freezing temps at night. It was 68 in the parking lot when I finished up around 2:30. I took the front panels off my Jeep and got a sunburn on the way home.I think the trails with plenty of man made will be ok for a while, but there were things skied yesterday that had no snow today. I bet if they push some snow around on the lower mountain we'll make it through the week before Easter (fingers crossed). We could always Gondola download if we had to. Honestly who knows? Some of the trails looks kind of "shocking" for 3/9...running water, thin or dirt patches, etc.
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
My family is making what is probably our last ski trip this season to Gore this weekend.  How much rain fell yesterday?  Any chance we'll be skiing the summit on Saturday?  Or should we just bring a cooler and enjoy the predicted blue skies and sunshine on the deck?  
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Both...the summit will be open and don't forget the cooler
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Summit looked good from the road.  Spoke to Square Eddy and he said it was very good today and tomorrow will be prime.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Today was great yet again, but the snow is deteriorating pretty quickly. Rocks are creeping out on Rumor and Lies. I change my earlier prediction to no later than next weekend unless something changes drastically. This weekend should be off the charts fun.

Deck will be prime. Hopefully the mountain plays some music out there later on (not at the gondola, on the deck)
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Burnt Ridge is done for the season.  How's the rest of the lower mountain looking?
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
I haven't ridden the lower mountain except in the afternoon. Sunway has very good coverage. I would imagine Twister does too. It's so warm though, that the lower mountain snow gets pretty wet and heavy. All part of the fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
2 years ago I stopped by Gore on my way to Whiteface for my spring skiing trip.  Most of the terrain off Straightbrook and High Peaks was open and skied great.  They had only one route to the base and it was very sticky and slow.  Nothing else was open.  Was a great day on the upper mountain.  Too bad half the upper mountain isn't open this year.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Sunway to Quicksilver very good coverage, i bet Twister as well. Next weekend for sure open.
1 ... 2122232425262728