classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
612 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 31
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

MikePom
I'm watching the radar....maybe we pick up a few?

Radar
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
In reply to this post by snoloco
Sno, no complaining about lack of trails open!
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Also very much agree Harvey, I was in forever wild making fresh tracks and the snow was incredibly soft with a real base below.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco

Burnt Ridge glades are nice.  I think they've opened all the lifts.  Enjoying a great lunch at Saddle Lodge.  With a little help from mother nature, Bone led Gore to provide one of their greatest ever Christmas New Year's runs.  Whiteface sucks.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Boreas Glades are off the charts I agree with bone the best on the hill.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Boreas was closed because sagamore also was.  Unless that changed since this morning.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
In reply to this post by Harvey
Bone?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Bone! The man:

http://nyskiblog.com/interview-gore-gm-bone-bayse/

I had 2 hours to roam while Neve had a lesson at noon.  I could have taken the quad and dropped in through Twister Glades, but I skated Cedars knowing that that gave me the maximum runs on Burnt Ridge.

I asked about Boreas everytime I saw a redcoat.

When I asked the right person, he said follow me, and in we went.

We set a bunch of lollipops under the quad. Well... I watched...

I was maybe 5 or 6th through on Boreas, those before me were either patrol or poachers from yesterday.

I floated floated floated. One of my best runs ever at Gore.

I really enjoyed the bottom half of Barkeater too, such a rhythm.

What a day. I met Kleetus in the trees!
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
We were lured to the top of the Mountain with visions of the Straightbrook lodge in our heads....as we ascended from the Ski Bowl, with each lift and traverse I could feel the warmth being sucked out of my body....we decided to abandon our hopes of lunch in the new Straightbrook lodge after 3-4 lift stalls on the North Chair depleted our core heat.  

After lunch at the Saddle (which by the way absorbed an abundant flock of skiers) we continued to the summit.  The new Straightbrook Lodge, will by far be the highlight of a Spring day with lunch on the patio.

Straightbrook Lodge
Patio at the new Straightbrook Lodge taken by Karen

We missed all the glades on the summit, as the Patrol was pulling ropes by the time we arrived, which was probably a good thing because we nailed a great run down Lower Darby...down Wood Out, Pipeline to Peaceful Valley and our home away from home, the Yurt....to find it completely empty and waiting for us.  

Another fantastic day at Gore.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Mike how was the mono boarding that day?

We stopped in at the Bowl this am and they told us the lift (Hudson) was not going to spin, so we left.

Funny thing is that now with the lodge at the summit, I kind of like the random gondi tower that I used to want removed.

My two cents on the saddle, it is making the base lodge less crowded too.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
I’ve sidelined the Mono so I can stay nimble and jump in the woods at a moments notice.  The Mono doesn’t like the glades.

Hudson was repaired just as we arrived….great work by team Gore to get it going.

Agree on gondi tower and base lodge….if I ever see it again….
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Two years ago I went six weeks without visiting the Gore base.  It means the skiing is good!
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Petronio
Kudos to Gore management for opening all the trails.  Definitely a different attitude towards opening trails and glades and keeping them open longer in the day.

Picked up a crushed Bud Light can thrown from AEII onto Showcase.  Good to know the dirtbag who threw it also is a the kind of troglodyte who drinks Bud Light.  I fucking hate that shit -- littering the slopes and drinking swill.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Karen found a Bud Light can trashed on the new Straightbrook Lodge patio....probably left behind by the same slob that dropped on the AEII.  I don't understand that mentality at all.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
So wait if a beer can falls in the forest, does the brand matter?
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
We made two runs at the Ski Bowl today.  One on Moxam and one in the Ski Bowl Glade.  

Moxam starting to firm up, still some softies on the sidelines....Ski Bowl Glad, the snow starting to texture between skied material and freshies which made it a bit challenging....my son slathered my skis with cold weather wax but they still seemed to stick in the 0 degree temps.

Not sure if we're skiing or snow shoeing tomorrow......the cold has been a challenge this week.

Wishing everyone a safe and enjoyable New Year....talk again on the other side!

Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
btw.....keep an eye on the low that's sitting off Pensacola...I'm curious to see what happens as it moves up the East Coast and mixes with this polar air......is it possible we're going to live the dream in 2018???
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
Harvey wrote
So wait if a beer can falls in the forest, does the brand matter?
Point well taken, good taste in beer doesn't preclude being a lout.  However I do suspect that someone who appreciates finer beer probably also appreciates the naturalness of Gore Mountain (no multimillion-dollar homes alonside the trails here) and wouldn't toss a crushed empty over his shoulder on the way up the lift.  But I could be wrong!

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
A little late to the posting party. Great day's skiing Gore Sat and Sun. Although the cold Sun was kind of brutal, conditions were great.  Barkeater, Dark Side, and Boreas were the picks both days. Lies was skiing great Sun.

Was a great bonus to meet Harvey and Telerider in the trees by coincidence and make some turns. Look forward to more turns with you guys as the season continues!

Not making it out today unfortunately, but had enough of the cold for now.

Won't make it out to Gore next weekend, but will be exploring the PNW ski scene instead. I'll report back.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Kleetus, what a nice surprise to meet you, in the trees on Burnt Ridge.  Thanks for saying hello!  (How did you know it was me?)

Good luck out west, looking forward to hearing about it!
1 ... 3456789 ... 31