https://www.garnet-hill.com/skiing/trail-conditions/
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
Seriously if anyone knows what has fallen, pls post it up~!
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Does anyone know if they blew snow on the 46er prior to this storm?  I'm preparing to loose a few limbs to frostbite on Saturday morning if I can get fresh tracks under the Hudson Chair with my Mono.....
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
MikePom wrote
I'm prepared to loose a few limbs to frostbite on Saturday morning if I can get fresh tracks under the Hudson Chair with my Mono...
Sigworthy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MikePom
46er was listed as open at one point I thought? I heard TELL of said blowing but never saw any evidence of it. Did they use the bypass?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

photo by tBatt entitled "Windy"

He said 3-4 inches down.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Man there were a WHOLE lot of of things that were listed as open last Friday and Saturday. Some eventually opened on Saturday but some I don't think did or if they did they were open for a very short window. 46er was sparse on Saturday and not skiable - especially the headwall. My daughter and I were making mental notes of all the stumps and rocks that had previously reached up to say hello. They had the rats pulled out and set up but they weren't blowing. It was obvious that some folks had skied the ski bowl glades and they had run a groomer up and down the sides of the bottom section but overall it needed a lot more snow. I was surprised at the difference in snow levels between BR and the bowl. JJ's glade was fun tho and moxham still had fresh pockets. Based on what we are getting in Albany/Saratoga I bet we end up with 4+ out of this thing. It seems to be a bit west and lingering.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
I stake claim to the tracks in the Ski Bowl Glade....it was much firmer last weekend than earlier in the week but still very good....just dark and cold.
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
poma and sunway double listed for Friday and Saturday. That's it.

Any snow that fell on the trails is surely in the trees by now.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
What poma?
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Did Gore ever blow snow on 46er they talked about it but it never opened
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
NorEaster27 wrote
Did Gore ever blow snow on 46er they talked about it but it never opened
Nope
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Talking to a Gore patroller last night he noted that blowing snow has been a challenge with the cold temps.  Difficult for them to get too spread out in fear of pipe freeze.

I want the cold to dissipate, but looking at the forecast for next week, I'm saying NO!...STAY!!!   Such extremes are not good for skiing.  I foresee impenetrable hardback ice in our futures....

Reply | Threaded
|

DanM
Gore was hard fast and edgable today. Some ice in the usual spots (Saddle) but not bad. I stayed on the frontside lapping Sunway, Quicksilver, Showcase, lower Sleighride and Twister off the AE2 and were all great. No crowds either.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brian
With my experiment of buying the MAX Pass this year I've been trying to strategize about when to use my five days at Gore, and with the cold temps and many previous weekends of driving 2 hours each way from Saratoga I decided today was the day.  And Gore definitely didn't disappoint.  In fact, it felt more like reconnecting with an old friend that I'd neglected to reach out to for far too long.

Discovered some fresh powder (well, kind of wind-blown, compacted powder - but still) in many locations (Straight Brook glade before they closed the access from Chatiemac, Dark Side glade, JJ's glade - first time in there, Double Barrel and even in Chatterbox).  Very little ice all around, really carvable and no crowds due to the advertised extreme temps (which really were not bad at all given the lack of wind and guest appearance by the sun).  And even though I was out from 9-4 with a quick lunch break I barely repeated any runs, which is pretty awesome.

After spending time recently at Killington, Pico, Okemo and Stratton I can wholeheartedly say Gore is still my favorite mountain - and it's the closest to home for me.  If they could just blow snow like the other guys and be on a better storm track all would be well in my ski world...  Now I just have to figure out when to use my other four days and if I'll be willing to put up with this rationing next season.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I had dinner with Shaman last night and heard his report:  Skier traffic has been light and the wind has been providing refills in the trees. Skiing sounds great, snowing here now.  With the forecast later in the week today might be a good day to play hooky.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Maybe up to 2" inches today (Monday) and a good day!  Blow off in the normal places, but very good elsewhere.  Wind picked up substantially around 1030 so only did multiple Gondi runs and 3 or 4 off the top.  Lies closed about 10am due to ice on headwall.  

Run of day- Open Pit (yes it was!) and close 2nd was Hawkeye.  Twister and Showcase also close runners up, no ice on any of these four.  Sunway fun w/ coverage giant GS turns.  Wanted to venture to Echo and Sag but no way fighting that wind after they pulled the rope mid-morning.  Uncas ok but not nearly as good as four above.  

Small crowd at Gondi as triple (whoops) quad not running today.  Didn't really need it and would not have used it due to wind.  Really great surfaces though, really good day.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
AE2 reported open today and tomorrow so must've been a mechanical issue.  Hopefully it's running Wednesday as I'll be there.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Petronio
We are heading up and plan on skiing tomorrow.  Will provide a conditions report tomorrow night.  Transcript of conditions report podcast from the website:

Thank you so much for tuning in, this is Emily with your More Gore podcast for Saturday, January 13, Ski Day #53.

So when people ask me what I want first, the good news or the bad news, I always vote for the bad so I can get that out of the way.  So here goes, This is a huge storm guys and it did do a number on this place.  During Saturday I want everyone skiing with extra caution as there are areas of thin cover and bare spots throughout all open mountain areas.  We anticipate some lifts opening late as this very weather system continues through the day today.  Our crews know what to do, but we have a lot of work ahead and appreciate everyone's patience and understanding.  We will be doing our very best for you and getting the mountain back in shape just as quick as we can.

Yay- now that's over I can say this storm is forecasted to drop several new inches of snow- that will help and snowmakers, their number one priority is Ruby Run and Sunway- look for guns going there.

Snow before 2pm, then snow showers likely, mainly between 2pm and 3pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature falling to around 8 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as -6. Northwest wind 11 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Our lunch special at the food court is a Bacon Cheeseburger for $8..

Celebrate the MLK holiday at Gore! We're busy gearing up for the bustling three day weekend ahead.  We're featuring a holiday camp for kids that goes Saturday-Sunday pairing kids up with some of our best coaches and a bunch of new friends- Sunday night is our annual Fireworks Display & Torchlight Parade shortly after the lifts close, we've got a nice linup of music this weekend too- and on Monday we're hosting USASA's boarder/skiercross at the Ski Bowl.  There's great lift and lodging deals for MLK weekend as well.

We thank you so much for calling us, and make it a great snow day out there

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Gore is effectively closed today on a holiday weekend
1 ... 45678910 ... 31