classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
612 messages Options
1 ... 6789101112 ... 31
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

YUKON CORNELIUS
If they don’t do something about Uncas (the only route from the top of the Gondi to the summit) before the weekend, it’s going to get pretty ugly.

Not sure about the logic of blowing snow on Fairview right now?
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
If they don’t do something about Uncas (the only route from the top of the Gondi to the summit) before the weekend, it’s going to get pretty ugly.

I agree, Uncas needs some attention, but some grooming may be all it needs for now.

Apparently you don't know Gore very well. Opening Fairview does two things, so here's the logic.  It creates a much more direct route from the Gondola down to the saddle so you can then ski the wide variety of terrain off of that point without having to meander across the parking lot full or Jerreys known as "Ruby Run." I know that trail gets icy, but It's convenient, and it's not very long. Now that you can easily get to the Saddle, you can quickly jump on Wood-In, and even carry some speed on it. Now, jump on the High Peaks chair, and Shazam, you're at the Summit! (well, damn close)

I personally have a special appreciation for Fairview. The reason is because in my younger years, my family used to go to Gore once a year on Presidents week. By that point, Fairview was always open, and for years I never even bothered to ski Ruby Run because I saw it was green, and just assumed it wasn't for me. Then in March 2016, I went up to Gore. Didn't make it on presidents week that year. That was the really bad year, and they never made snow on Fairview that year. I remember Foxlair was closed as well, and being forced down Ruby Run to ski any of the lower mountain terrain. I remember getting to the second turn in it, where it's all blasted out, and saying to myself holy shit, I feel like I'm at Hunter. I had never seen that part off the mountain before, and It just didn't feel right. I still do everything I can to avoid it. Fairview on the other hand, I know it's steep and icy, but that's part of what I like about it. It also follows a natural fall line which is nice.

Besides, It looked like they were only running 5 or 6 guns on it today, so It isn't eating up too much of their snowmaking at this point.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
I'd have to agree with Yukon....and after multiple runs on Uncas last weekend, I would say it needs more than pushing around the ice....the headwall was hurting for snow in a big way.  Uncas....Shazam....instant Summit....without the Wood In Jerry pile up.

And whats with this forecast for another tropical moisture monsoon pouring in from the Gulf?  All this snow in the South....what a waste....there is nothing I hate more than a waste of good snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote

I agree, Uncas needs some attention, but some grooming may be all it needs for now.

Apparently you don't know Gore very well.

"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
To Gore's credit, they were blowing a ton of snow on Uncas today.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
How's was Gore today?
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Steeps get skied off pretty quick. Still icy in spots (Chatimac, Hullabaloo headwall, Hawkeye headwall, etc.) It was more crowded than usual due to racing and a $24 ISkiNY Special.
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I hear that the webcam is nearly upon us. Not the usual Source but a fairly official source I would say.
This really is an embarrassment that little old Woods Valley can have 7 live webcams and Gore has zip...
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
Ethan Snow wrote
Ha! I think it's fair for me to make that assumption if you're going to claim "Uncas is the only way from the Gondi to the summit".
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by MikePom
MikePom wrote
and after multiple runs on Uncas last weekend,
I don't really see Uncas as a trail that should be lapped. To me it's an access point to the Straight Brook area, and nothing more, so I don't really care what condition it's in. It also helps to keep Jerreys out of the Straight Brook area. Usually only ski it once if at all.  Trails that are lapped multiple times in one day: Hawkeye, Chattiemac, Lies, Open Pit, Hullabaloo, Lower Darby, Twister, Showcase, Upper Sleighride, Wild air, Quicksilver, and of course, Sagamore. Plus Plenty of glades on good snow days.

Fairview is an easy access point to 5 of the above mentioned trails, and gets lapped as well when open.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Fairview takes you to the Saddle Lodge. I have no problem riding the ADK Express to the Darkside to summit, but the majority of people aren't willing to do that.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
Ethan Snow wrote
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote

YUKON if you ask around you maybe you can get a tour....
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Do you know anyone who cold help me out?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I would totally show you around.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
Yo, Yukon!

You could tag along as our tail-gunner in our Mountain Adventure group this Saturday!  The two and three footers we slide with know all trails, best rest stops (with Hot Cocoa!) and most of the lifties and Red Coats' first names.  Oh wait... weren't you once on the Red Coats' naughty list?  

Not to worry, they'll never catch us, let alone keep up, if you demo your down-field blocking!  So, what the heck, you can Hi-lite your new Gore Trail Map as we go on tour, what's your favorite color; Princess Pink, Skybird Blue or Camo Green (best for poaching!)?

Ski You With Your Pride & Joys.

64ER
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Harvey
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

January 19, 2018
(518) 251-2411, X1121, emily@goremountain.com

Gore Mountain Press Release

TUESDAY NIGHT CITIZENS RACES FOR ALL ABILITIES AT THE SKI BOWL
SNOWSHOE | CLASSIC SKI | SKATE SKI

NORTH CREEK, NY -The Gore Mountain Nordic Center, a one-of-a-kind facility that operates with snowmaking and lights, has kicked off its Tuesday Night Citizens Series.  Happening weekly through February 13, the Citizen Series is a community-oriented gathering that encourages winter fitness in a non-competitive setting.  Participants can win great prizes through raffle-style drawings and participation.  These events are free for all ticketed guests and season passholders; otherwise a reduced trail fee of $10 includes registration.

Guest can choose to race (or walk) on snowshoes, or can classic or skate ski.  The distance options are 1.5 Kilometers (1 Loop), 3 Kilometers (2 Loops), and 4.5 Kilometers (3 Loops) on the Ski Bowl's professionally maintained and brightly lit stadium course.

Everyone who races is entered into a drawing for weekly prizes and they also earn a ticket for the final raffle at the end of the series on February 13.  This grand finale will offer an exciting array of larger prizes, as well as a “Best Turnout” prize (based on attendance) and “Most Improved” (based on results).

$5 dinner specials are served from the Ski Bowl Food Truck, and each night will feature either live music or a bonfire.

This series is sponsored by becks TAVERN and the Upper Hudson Trail Alliance.  Additional prizes provided by Barkeater Chocolates.  For further details, visit GoreMountain.com

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Ethan Snow wrote:

I don't really see Uncas as a trail that should be lapped. To me it's an access point to the Straight Brook area, and nothing more, so I don't really care what condition it's in.

Uncas
Uncas   Courtesy of kpomography

Perhaps one should stop and pause on Uncas once in a while, look at its beauty, especially the amazing view of Gore summit at the entry to Lower Uncas.  One might realize that Uncas is a trail to be lapped......
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Ethan, it's not worth it trying to change the Gore regulars' opinions.  I've tried.  It doesn't work.

Uncas used to be a perfectly good trail to lap.  Unfortunately when they stopped blowing Pine Knot, hundreds of beginners "ski" it, usually in a power wedge.  That makes it a shit show and is almost always scraped off and not fun to ski.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
SnoreLoco strikes again!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
The Gore lifties need some training from Brownski because they can't seem to keep any of the fixed grip lifts running full speed.  Constant slows and stops all day.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
1 ... 6789101112 ... 31