Gore Glades

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
46 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Glades

Skidds
Has High Pines been open yet this year?  If not, what are the chances that this week's storm puts it in play?

Thinking of hitting up Whiteface or Gore on Thursday or Friday.  The glades are the attraction at Gore, my favorites being Double Barrel, Dark Side, and High Pines.  I love the rocky, ledgy nature of High Pines.  With the varied pitch it is a blast to ski, with the ability to make some high speed turns, some technical turns, and catch varying degrees of air.  I want High Pines to be open on my next day trip to Gore, wondering if that might be this week.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Glades

Adk Jeff
It was open this past Saturday, though I didn't ski it.  It looked a bit thin and brushy in the usual spots, but 10" to 20" should put it in play.  I'd say it's a very good bet it will be open following the storm.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Gore should go 100 percent open if this storm pans out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Skidds
Skidds wrote
Thinking of hitting up Whiteface or Gore on Thursday or Friday.  The glades are the attraction at Gore, my favorites being Double Barrel, Dark Side, and High Pines.  I love the rocky, ledgy nature of High Pines.  With the varied pitch it is a blast to ski, with the ability to make some high speed turns, some technical turns, and catch varying degrees of air.  I want High Pines to be open on my next day trip to Gore, wondering if that might be this week.
I LOVE High Pines too. Love it.  

I think even six inches would put everything in play. You know, for us Gore skiers. Tools not jewels.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Everything is already in play.

This storm is just going to make it even better.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
My only Gore visit of the season will take place on Saturday, and I cant wait!   Perhaps the most underrated woods in the east IMO.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
BenedictGomez wrote
Gore ... Perhaps the most underrated woods in the east IMO.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
The number and variety of Gore's glades is great.  I also love that numerous lift lines are open as glades, note my favorites.  It's no secret I primarily ski Whiteface.  The one thing Whiteface lacks is consistent good bumps, and glades.  Yes, the Whiteface glade situation changed significantly with the addition of Sugar Valley, but that's not open all that often.  That said, what glades WF does offer are very nice.  Sugar Valley has a bit of everything.  Looking forward to exploring Rands.  10th Mountain is low angle tight for the intermediates.  High Country is low angle with space for those new to tree skiing to explore, and the glades by Kids Kampus get beginners in the trees.  My favorite is Cloudsplitter.  It's steep, tight and technical.

My talk of WF glades in a Gore glades topic has a point.  I haven't skied all of Gore's glades.  I've found some steep shots in Dark Side.  What I'm wondering is whether Gore has any glades that are as consistently steep and technical as Cloudsplitter at WF?  Want to make sure I'm exploring in the right places.

I'll most likely be there Friday if there is anyone who is going to be there and wants to show another NYSB glade enthusiast their favorites.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
This post was updated on .
Skidds wrote
My talk of WF glades in a Gore glades topic has a point.  I haven't skied all of Gore's glades.  I've found some steep shots in Dark Side.  What I'm wondering is whether Gore has any glades that are as consistently steep and technical as Cloudsplitter at WF?  Want to make sure I'm exploring in the right places.
Gore has only what you see on the trail map - don't follow any ski tracks into the woods, all you will usually find is a yellow spot in the snow.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Of course....
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Skidds wrote
I haven't skied all of Gore's glades.  I've found some steep shots in Dark Side.  What I'm wondering is whether Gore has any glades that are as consistently steep and technical as Cloudsplitter at WF?  
I'll most likely be there Friday if there is anyone who is going to be there and wants to show another NYSB glade enthusiast their favorites.
Gore's glades are like Gore's trails. If you want steep, technical glades, look near the steep technical trails. You found stuff off the dark side, where else is steep? Ski Bowl has some good pitches. Burnt Ridge has nice stuff. Straightbrook, obviously. Look around when you ride the lift. Then consult the trail map to find a glade in that spot.

I'll be there Friday, but I might be busy. If not, I could be persuaded to show you a little of the gnarly stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Just pm'd you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Thanks guys.  Not looking to steal anyone's goodies, just want to make the best use of my time exploring some of the on map stuff I haven't been in yet.  There are a lot of choices out there!
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Skidds wrote
I'm currently considering the same idea ... Gore on Friday with my son, and then continuing on to Lake Placid to ski Whiteface on Saturday & Sunday.

I've never been to Gore on the "right" day, and it's looking like Friday will definitely be as "right" as it gets!

So if anyone is going to be there to show Skidds around, and wouldn't mind a couple more hangers-on, let me know.

I'm hoping to know for sure whether I'm going to go or not tonight.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
I'm penciled in for Friday at Gore.  If MC or others are busy we can always hook up for a couple.  Looks like my brother may be with me.  I'll ski on map glades alone if I have to, but I'd prefer to have company in the woods.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Hoping the NYC building explosion that has MNRR service into Manhattan suspended doesn't wreak havoc on my schedule/plans....should be an interesting commute home tonight.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Skidds wrote
I'm penciled in for Friday at Gore.  If MC or others are busy we can always hook up for a couple.  Looks like my brother may be with me.  I'll ski on map glades alone if I have to, but I'd prefer to have company in the woods.
Sounds good! I should know later tonight whether we're going for sure or not. We had originally made plans to go to Hunter on Friday with some friends, but given that Hunter is going to get mostly rain, and that the Daks are going to be the big winner this time, I'm thinking we may blow our friends off ... No friends on a powder day!!!

Skidds wrote
Hoping the NYC building explosion that has MNRR service into Manhattan suspended doesn't wreak havoc on my schedule/plans....should be an interesting commute home tonight.
Good luck!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
All glades will be in play and they will be fabulous. Beautiful powder has been falling heavily all day, and it's nowhere near done yet.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
ropes up on a lot of the glades
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
freeheeln wrote
ropes up on a lot of the glades
What's your point?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.