classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
205 messages Options
1 ... 7891011
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Improvements Summer 2015

raisingarizona
I was thinking that by closing a trail the mountain should be able to get some milage back but it's imaginary anyway so.....

I'll check out google earth and see if I can figure it out or I'll just print some images up, draw by hand some ideas and then take a photo.

I did this with a Smuggs image and posted up some ideas on Alpinezone and some weirdo told me to pull it because my imaginary trail ideas showed secret stashes. It was one of the most ridiculous arguments I have ever let myself be a part of on the internet (briefly) and I haven't posted since on there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
raisingarizona wrote
I was thinking that by closing a trail the mountain should be able to get some milage back
That's the official line. Who knows how it would really come down.

I suppose in a way I'm hedged. If things move at the normal (slow) pace, Gore will remain the awesome ny tree skiing mountain that you can't exhaust in a day. If the whole thing does get dynamited, paved and bubbled sooner, my real estate will be worth something when I pass it on to my daughter.

And yea, I don't care if that's the definition of old.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .

My vision based on......never skiing there! It might not work at all. I don't know. Man I'm weird.

The red is a gondola connecting town, base village, top terminal, and the Burnt Ridge base area. It basically makes it possible to skip any section of skiing in that area that you don't want to do or ski whatever you like. The yelloe place marks are the terminals. The green trails down low running towards town are for the parks and learning areas.Those would be wide for the intended purposes. Maybe night skiing. The White lines are roads. I put in a new access road and the squiggly ones are for slopeside condos. I envision a small and sustainable village at the base of NC Ski Bowl. Maybe another small (very small) village base area at BR. Pedestrian friendly all the way from the BR base area up into the slopeside condos, maybe even have some kind of people mover up through there or just plowed walkways/bike paths.

It's pedestrian friendly all around. the gondola could run into the late hours of night. Establish some services/attractions at the BR base area so people use the gondola more often. Put a focus on alternative activities for family's such as ice skating, zip lining, climbing walls/adventure courses, mountain coasters, biking/hiking for summers, disc golf, restaurants, horse drawn sleigh rides, indoor water park, whatever works to get people to come and stay more than a day. The goal is to make the best experience for people with money to come and spend it benefitting the community but yet still keeping the cool and funky character of the area in tact. Progression and expansion with a major focus on sustainability, pedestrian traffic easability and trail connectivity. I would also want to increase the tree skiing opportunities. the fact is, the more money being brought into the area the more money you would have to maintain more glades.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
raisingarizona wrote
I was thinking that by closing a trail the mountain should be able to get some milage back
A lot of talk about abandoning trails. Which ones?

What has Gore abandoned? Part of Upper Darby? The bottom portion of Tannery when they replaced the old red gondola (definitely a good move -- it was as flat as Cedars and no longer served a purpose).

Those trails off the North Quad use up a lot of the limit. Do we need all of them? Would you trade one or two of them for a new trail or two on Burnt Ridge? I would.

One last question: Under what circumstances does a trail count against the limit? Does it only count if its groomed or groomable?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
The whole point of coming up with all the trail expansions is to facilitate better connections between the mountain areas.  Closing Pipeline would be counter-productive.  If you were on the upper mountain or main mountain and wanted to reach the Ski Bowl directly, Pipeline is your best bet.  If you weren't feeling the skate, you could cross over through Burnt Ridge as one can usually make it all the way down Cedars if they keep their speed up going down Echo.  Then ride the quad up and ski Eagle's Nest/Abenaki to the bowl.  It is topographically impossible to get to Burnt Ridge any other way than through Pipeline and Eagle's Nest or Echo and Cedars.

I'd also do some grading work around the portion of Echo where the crossover from Twister comes in.  This would be done to allow for a race finish area there without closing the entire trail and maintaining the connection from the main mountain to Burnt Ridge without a long flat skate.  46er could hold some race training as well, to keep them off Echo and Twister, which are both vital connectors.  I think it's wide enough to have a slalom course without a trail closure.  Just have some Powass style netting dividing it during training.  I'd like to find a way to never have Echo or Twister closed to the point where they block a connection between the main mountain and Burnt Ridge.  That doesn't mean that they can never be used for racing, just not in a way that it would limit connectivity between the the mountain areas.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
Spongeworthy wrote
Harvey wrote
raisingarizona wrote
A lot of talk about abandoning trails. Which ones?

What has Gore abandoned? Part of Upper Darby? The bottom portion of Tannery when they replaced the old red gondola (definitely a good move -- it was as flat as Cedars and no longer served a purpose).

Those trails off the North Quad use up a lot of the limit. Do we need all of them? Would you trade one or two of them for a new trail or two on Burnt Ridge? I would.

One last question: Under what circumstances does a trail count against the limit? Does it only count if its groomed or groomable?
Same questions I was asking. With the lines I proposed The Pipeline down from the North Quad isn't really needed and The Hedges Trail isn't a really a necessity either imo. Everything else well, I have no idea but I do know that imaginary ski area building is fun, God I'm a dork.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by snoloco
This would never happen, but as far as slopeside lodging goes, I'd be doing the following.

I'd add a gated slopeside community called Burnt Ridge Village directly below the BRQ.  There would be a few green trails and a triple chairlift serving it, running to the bottom of the BRQ.  These trails would be lined with second houses and condos.  I've routed the trails and lift on Google Earth.  There could be anything from affordable rental units to multi-million dollar mansions here.  As long as a contractor wants to build them.

There would also be a hotel that could be build in the main base area.  It would be build behind the lodge where the J Bar hill is now.  That beginner area would be done away with, but a magic carpet built at the Ski Bowl to replace it.  It would be built "Adirondack Style" to fit in, and I'd even name it "The Adirondack".  It might look something like this, but of course the size and shape of a hotel building, not a house.

It could possibly be located here.  It's obvious what the actual building is.  It would be 4-5 floors with a penthouse room having an extra floor within it.  There would be rooms here from the mid price range up.  I'd say the lowest price rooms be worth around $300 a night on weekends with fancier rooms costing more than that.  The loop behind it would be the road to access it.  There would be underground parking which could be either valet or self service.  The oval in front of it could be an indoor/outdoor heated pool.  The line near that would be the ski in/ski out entrance.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Are the real expensive giant luxury homes necessary? I don't love em but if it helps expansion and they aren't to obstructive I guess I could be ok with it. I'm still more into less is more and going with a more sustainable and environmental responsible direction but I can be flexible if the numbers make sense to make the rest o the area super awesome.

Imo the giant mountain homes are really ugly but thats just me.

It might be cool to be the area in the industry that actually says enough is enough and that we actually give a shit about the environment? Just an idea.

The area tho might make sense, either way we are both in agreement on some sort of conceptual idea Sno. I was thinking though it could be done without a lift. I wouldn't want to put in lifts just for real estate. Once it's sold those lifts will still cost you to run them even though the terrain sucks. KISS.....keep it simple stupid is an acronym used by the AA crowd and it applies to all facets of life.

I do like your classic ADK lodge idea tho. That would be sweet for the BR area. Better have a sweet bar tho.

Also, have you looked at the expansion plans mapping the proposed areas for real estate? It's a huge area running up to the right of NCSB all the way to the summit and beyond. It looks a little excessive to me and an eyesore possibly for the town of NC.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Dystopian hellscape.  
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
witch hobble wrote
Dystopian hellscape.
Word. I agree. Just having fun with the kid.

My thoughts were more low key honestly.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
raisingarizona wrote
Are the real expensive giant luxury homes necessary? I don't love em but if it helps expansion and they aren't to obstructive I guess I could be ok with it.
That's why I'd keep them confined to one area.  The costs to run the lift and keep snow on the access trails would be paid through membership dues by anyone who owned property there.  They're all going to be rich, so let them pay to have their lift running.

As much as I think the Ski Bowl could use more development, I think that it would not be practical.  The elevation is too low and it would only open in late December.  I would not ever want to see luxury homes built to the top of the ski bowl.  I don't want Gore becoming an Okemo.  Some development confined to one area is a good thing, but more than that is excessive.

The ADK style hotel should be built at the main base where it is ski in ski out all season.  My plans call for BR to be open from just before Christmas to the first Sunday in April.  Then you'd have some of the season when it wasn't accessible.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Hopefully it gets cold and snows soon, as this bullshit is getting deep and stinky
Gotta go to know
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
sno you lose me with the slope side condos, hotels and lodges. been there done that, its called straton and seems fake.  the town of NC is right there and can be utilized ,improved and expanded. ski lockers at the mountain ,a system of shuttles and some old fashion walking could get you to the mountain. walk out your door grab a coffee and egg burrito and walk to the mountain.grab your skis out of the locker and enjoy the day. pup crawl your way back into town. pie in the ski and no i am not drinking
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
In reply to this post by snoloco
Enclose the entire mountain, air condition it and blow sno all year. Prevent any natural snow from entering, and sno has to carry our bags
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
Thacheronix wrote
Prevent any natural snow from entering
Gore gets natural snow?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
raisingarizona wrote

I did this with a Smuggs image and posted up some ideas on Alpinezone and some weirdo told me to pull it because my imaginary trail ideas showed secret stashes. It was one of the most ridiculous arguments I have ever let myself be a part of on the internet (briefly) and I haven't posted since on there.
Bwahahahah

Isn't it amazing how serious people take the internet. Always has cracked me up.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Well now that I'm not drunk I gotta say I'm not a fan of the ski area real estate model. It's not sustainable. If the ski area itself doesn't make enough money to be a viable business on it's own it probably shouldn't exist.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
raisingarizona wrote

Bwahahahah

Isn't it amazing how serious people take the internet. Always has cracked me up.
Dude, it was seriously insane and it made no sense. It was like arguing with my kids mom, no matter how wrong or ridiculous something is you can't fight it, it's like they convince themselves and believe their own bs. I guess it made for a day or two of entertainment tho!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Thacheronix
Thacheronix wrote
Enclose the entire mountain, air condition it and blow sno all year. Prevent any natural snow from entering, and sno has to carry our bags
I just want someone to buckle my boots for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
<<< Darkside Shaman fan
I don't rip, I bomb.
1 ... 7891011