1234 ... 11
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gore Improvements Summer 2015

Harvey
Administrator
NEW IMPROVEMENTS ENHANCE GORE'S GUEST EXPERIENCE

Gore Mountain has added terrain features, purchased new snowmaking equipment, and undergone welcoming lodge renovations for the upcoming winter!

NORTH CREEK - The season's first snowfall has arrived at Gore Mountain and several new improvements are ready to welcome guests, including three more trails.  Forever Wild, a modern freestyle glade named after the Adirondack Park Forest Preserve, will combine natural terrain park elements with the excitement of tree skiing. Hudson is located at the North Creek Ski Bowl and has been refined into a long narrow black diamond trail that follows the original route of the area's earliest ski pioneers. A connector route called The Peace Pipe provides a shortcut from the North Side of Gore to Pipeline Traverse.

Another purchase of high-efficiency tower guns continues to modernize Gore Mountain's fleet of snowmaking equipment. This year, the newest guns have been placed primarily on the Showcase and Wild Air trails. These guns require significantly less air than the more traditional ground guns, thereby offsetting energy use.

Significant earth-moving on the Headwaters trail, which many Gore Mountain summit trails feed into, is expected to reduce the snowmaking required to open it and improve the experience while skiing it, particularly during the spring. The loading area of the Straightbrook Quad was regraded to ease the transition from Bear Mountain terrain to the entrance of the lift.

The Guest Services Office has been moved to the resort entrance of Gore Mountain, making it easier to quickly locate assistance. The Bear Cub Den daycare has relocated to a quiet and secure location on the lower level of the Base Lodge. Upgrades to the complimentary wireless internet and new flooring have also improved Base Lodge facilities.

Gore Mountain has committed to a 25-year solar energy contract with Borrego Solar. This contract means more of the power required to operate ski lifts and make snow will be provided with clean, renewable energy. This agreement is in keeping with Governor Cuomo’s NY-Sun initiative.

Gore Mountain invites guests to experience its new improvements and join in another thrilling season. The next season pass and snow sports program price deadline is Friday, November 13.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gore Improvements Summer 2015

snoloco
What the hell is Peace Pipe?  I thought pipeline already had that route.  Until Abenaki is cut, the ski bowl will remain a useless, out of the way section since you can't get in and out from the same location.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
What are you so pissed about?  Ski some place that makes you happy.

Peace Pipe is a small connector linking the bottom of Tahawus/Sleeping Bear area to the Pipeline, so if you are heading down to the Bowl, it cuts off several hundred feet of the traverse and allows you to avoid the base of the North Quad.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
What are you so pissed about?  
He is joining the cranking old white guy club. We are assimilating him into the borg.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Harvey
Anything to improve access to snow bowl is a positive as I see it.  I always enjoy my few days at Gore each season.  2 races there this year for my son including a 3 day super g camp with a race only on the last day so I will get to ski 2 full days before the race.  Looking forward to that.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

SnowSnake
Anyone know where Forever Wild is located?  I am not necessarily looking forward to a freestyle glade, but curious as to where they are cutting it.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Between Showcase and Sleighride.
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
Wasn't there an announcement about a new trail map earlier this year? Nothing about that in the latest update. Does anyone know if this is still in the works and, if so, when we can expect to see it?
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Didn't they just put new guns on showcase a few years ago? I recall some shorter tower guns so that the snowmaking wouldn't interfere with the lift?

In any case it's nice to see the improvements. They are making it better each year.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote
Between Showcase and Sleighride.
Looks like the website says between Showcase and Wild Air. Does that mean it starts above where sleighride comes over? And maybe continues down to be on skier's right of Sleighride? Or is it skier's left of Sleighride between Showcase and Sleighride?

PeeTex wrote
Harvey wrote
What are you so pissed about?  
He is joining the cranking old white guy club. We are assimilating him into the borg.
Haha.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Opening Forever Wild seems to be part of a careful, step by step process to make most of the main face skiable. This is great news.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Most of the main face is already skiable, X.

And I'm not complaining at all. I'm one of the few people on this forum who enjoys woods-based terrain parks like "The Stash" at K. I was just trying to pin down the location.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I got the Showcase/Sleighride info from MP.

New trail map in the next 10 days. Maybe sooner.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
Harvey wrote
What are you so pissed about?  Ski some place that makes you happy.

Peace Pipe is a small connector linking the bottom of Tahawus/Sleeping Bear area to the Pipeline, so if you are heading down to the Bowl, it cuts off several hundred feet of the traverse and allows you to avoid the base of the North Quad.
They keep cutting these new trails every year, but never the one they need the most.   I'm sure peace pipe will slightly improve the unbelievably long and flat traverse to the ski bowl, but it's still only accessible from the bottom of the North Side, and NO, glades from BR do not count as a connection to the ski bowl.  The best way to do things with a spread out mountain in many sections similar to Gore is to have easy straightforward connections between the sections.  What Gore seems to want is to force everyone to go down and around through the main base area and down the pipeline traverse.  Centering everything around one location is not a good idea, especially when it it's the most crowded spot on the entire mtn.  Let's say someone parks at the Ski Bown and wants to take a few runs on BR.  They are now forced to go through the main base instead of going directly back.  This will probably discourage some from parking there.  There's no way to avoid it of you want to.  If Abenaki is cut, one can do this and more will be able to park at the bowl and ski it.

Edit:  I keep forgetting that hedges is a trail now and you can now avoid the base area, but you still have to take the same horribly long traverse that you've always had.  Instead of cutting Abenaki, they did things on the cheap by cutting peace pipe which won't eliminate all of the traverse that there is now.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
What the hell is Peace Pipe?  I thought pipeline already had that route.  Until Abenaki is cut, the ski bowl will remain a useless, out of the way section since you can't get in and out from the same location.
Dude. The Ski Bowl SUCKS. Definitely stay far away from it.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I wouldn't be too concerned about Ski Bowl access either. It's just not worth the trouble. I stay on Gore all day.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
snoloco wrote
^ Agree with this advice for snoloco and similar Jersey skiers. Not enough grooming, the lift isn't high speed, and you might have to ski a glade to get back (or endure 30 seconds to 1 minute of skating on pipeline). Best for you to just park up top and stay up there. There's more food selection, plenty of grooming, high speed lifts, and a gondola if your little toesies get cold.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
unbelievably long and flat
force
not a good idea
crowded
forced
discourage
no way to avoid it
horribly long
cheap
Good luck in engineering school
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
snoloco wrote
^ Agree with this advice for snoloco and similar Jersey skiers. Not enough grooming, the lift isn't high speed, and you might have to ski a glade to get back (or endure 30 seconds to 1 minute of skating on pipeline). Best for you to just park up top and stay up there. There's more food selection, plenty of grooming, high speed lifts, and a gondola if your little toesies get cold.
Yes, by all means SnoChoad STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THE SKI BOWL!!!!!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Thacheronix
Thacheronix wrote
snoloco wrote
unbelievably long and flat
force
not a good idea