205 messages Options
1 ... 4567891011
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Improvements Summer 2015

Harvey
Administrator
MC ... what is the bump contest prize?  Is it a motivator or do people do it for the hell of it?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
i couldn't find one with just girls. Sorry
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
MC ... what is the bump contest prize?  Is it a motivator or do people do it for the hell of it?
I think it's usually a pair of skis.

2nd and 3rd place (and people who aren't the overall winner, but the winners in their age and category) get goggles, hats, backpacks, etc...
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Part of that picture is incredibly awesome. Another part of that picture is the opposite.
I'm going to go with 100% awesome.

* *  EDIT - OK, I couldn't see past those 2 chicks.  So not 100%.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
mattchuck2 wrote
skimore wrote
The problem is these things dont make any money so they never materialize
They have a lot of events that are sparsely attended. At least snoloco's idea sounds fun...

There lies the problem. Come March there isn't a lot of motivation for another losing money event
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
skimore wrote
There lies the problem. Come March there isn't a lot of motivation for another losing money event
Meh. Not entirely convinced that lots of people are coming to the mountain for Pond Skimming or "Maple Day". Nor am I convinced that those events make money. Sometimes you have events because they're cool and they might take off and take on a life of their own. See "Gelande Quaffing"

Also, according to the event calendar right now, there's no bump contest?! Snoloco's idea could be the warm spring bump event we've been missing since they started messing with the real bump contest (moving it away from Hawkeye, building those dumb huge mounds, moving it to January last year)
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
mattchuck2 wrote
. See "Gelande Quaffing"
Add the Russian bikini babes and now you got an event
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
mattchuck2 wrote
skimore wrote
Meh. Not entirely convinced that lots of people are coming to the mountain for Pond Skimming or "Maple Day". Nor am I convinced that those events make money. Sometimes you have events because they're cool and they might take off and take on a life of their own. See "Gelande Quaffing"

Also, according to the event calendar right now, there's no bump contest?! Snoloco's idea could be the warm spring bump event we've been missing since they started messing with the real bump contest (moving it away from Hawkeye, building those dumb huge mounds, moving it to January last year)
Maybe as a swan song I should charter a chopper and drop a few kegs at HoJos - now that would be a spring party.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
mattchuck2 wrote
skimore wrote

Seriously. WTF is Maple Day!?!? And why is it a ski event?

I never got that at all.

I think some of these events become a way to help market the fun of a mountain. When they are poorly run or suck, then no one cares.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
i like the bump contest---it's divided into age groups with prizes in each group. I think that brings a few more people out to register. Look, I'm never going to beat the kids....but it is fun to see how many folks in my age group have the cajones to take the jump.

Prizes are usually of the hats, goggle, bag variety--which I think most of which get donated to the mountain anyway by vendors and suppliers. Costs probably aren't that high and don't forget they charge like $10 entry anyway

But my biggest beef with the bump contest in last two years--it's been scheduled for January! Get it back to late Feb/March. 2 years ago it was rained out (lightning storm) and I thought last year it was like -15F +wind chill or something ridiculous. Who the H wants to either ski bumps or watch people ski bumps when it's that cold?

Reply | Threaded
|

SnowSnake
With snow making going to 46'er this year they should move the bump contest there this year.  It would be a lot of fun to have it under the lift and you could throw an awesome party at the bottom by the yurt.  I think it would be a great way to make the bump contest fun again and show the improvements Gore has been working on.    
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I would like to try a telebump category for old guys.  Problem is there are a lot of old guys at Gore who rock. But still.  Would be more comfortable doing it in spring conditions for sure.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Sno's idea is a good one. Add a bathing suit category and everyone's happy.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

SnowSnake
In reply to this post by SnowSnake
Sorry just read through earlier posts, didn't realize this idea was already out there, obviously I think this would be a good change for the bump contest and party atmosphere, bathing suits would be a nice touch as well!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
SnowSnake wrote
Sorry just read through earlier posts, didn't realize this idea was already out there, obviously I think this would be a good change for the bump contest and party atmosphere, bathing suits would be a nice touch as well!!
No problem bud. I changed my sig to push the idea Friday.

"It's not a bad idea. We need to evaluate the trail as we use it more. The headwall is too steep for event but maybe there is a good stretch further down."
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
The headwall is fine, it's supposed to be a challenge.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
Who knew, sno's a bumper
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
The headwall is fine, it's supposed to be a challenge.
Agree. I think Gore is trying to cater to kids with their bump contest, but that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about an adult thing, with adult beverages and adult bikinis.

Outer limits isn't too steep for a bump contest, 46er isn't either.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
All they need to do is have a bikini contest with a big BBQ and Cheap Beer..The place will be packed...I have seen a ton of bump contests. No one cares.. I know I sound sexiest but skin sells..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
JasonWx wrote
I know I sound sexiest

1 ... 4567891011