Locked 335 messages Options
1234567 ... 17
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greatest Threat to World Peace: A Gallup Survey

PeeTex
We should have sent them Phyllis...
But I guess it turned out OK - they sent us Karaoke.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Wonder if                                                                    

Is the Mother of
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Would we consider taking in thousands on Syrian refugees - hell no, it's there fault for not fighting for their freedom and they hate us to boot. Fuck'em, besides that - it might raise my taxes. Turn Iraq into a glass land and while were at it lets just take over the whole fucking middle east and drill baby drill.
There are multiple groups (ISIS, FSA) fighting for "their freedom" against the powers that be (Assad Region) that are shelling towns completely indiscriminately, have used illegal weapons, etc. That some of the citizens have had enough and are seeking better lives elsewhere is not surprising. The ones that show the same traits necessary to "get out" are also the ones that can help drive the economy the most -- unlike a lot of entitled people that currently here. Gotta love the mentality of those that believe that the country was complete as soon as their family arrived, and now they should shut the door and lock it behind them.

I don't understand the comment about turning Iraq into glass, and it certainly couldn't raise the opinion of Americans to the outside world at all. Iraq had zero to do with 9/11 but some estimates say that more than 1Million people have been killed, more than 4.5Million displaced. (source: MIT). How do you not feel compassion for some of the remaining miserable sods that have to deal with that?

In summary: 10k refugees is nbd, especially because the destabilization in the region is "at least" part our fault.

Americans that think that their grandparents didn't immigrate so others could also make a better life for themselves here make zero sense.

This is all turning into a tangential rant but the prevailing bomb your way out of it mentality does show why the rest of the world consider us a great threat to world peace.

peace out.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Indeed - and my words were 100% sarcasm meant to show how ridiculous some of the expressed opinions really are.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Ok, good posts, all containing valid points but moving forward what's the answer/solution/future for Syria ? Talk about a Gordian Knot.

5 years, 300,000 dead, tens of millions displaced, massive massive destruction and not even a sign of it ending. It absolutely can not go on and yet it will.

Even if it were to end, which Devil would be left in charge free to continue the nightmare ?

Assad currently holds the smaller portion of territory, the rebs/IS may win. If so, more slaughter and consolidation of IS control will follow.

Once IS has control of their objectives, they'll probably turn their aggression on Israel which will bring into the fight  even more geehaduhs from around the world  and a much much larger war will likely ensue.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Russia will make sure ISIS does not win.

The solution is there is no solution.  Whatever is done unforeseen consequences will arise.  people are going to die. Pull out and let the fockers do to themselves whatever it is they are going to do.   Hit when hit and leave to the rest of it up to the natives.  sad but I see no alternative.
If people want to leave we should provide safe passage to where they want to go.. We should not fight. provide weapons and  begin distancing ourselves from that mess.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
tjf1967 wrote
Hit when hit
If only we had followed this most basic rule.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Harvey wrote
PT... great reading your pov, always seem to learn something. Would like to hear more about the second bomb and how that happened.
Truman became President in April of 1945. He was clueless as to what was going on, especially the Manhattan Project. He had given orders that the Military execute the war as quickly and as efficiently as possible. He had not idea of what was to come until Little Boy was dropped. I doubt he knew just how destructive it was. Little Boy was a Uranium bomb and thus - as far as atomic bombs are concerned, of lesser power. He knew we didn't have another one, Uranium is hard to enrich and he really did not understand the power. He did not authorize the second bomb but the military, under standing orders to execute the war "efficiently" dropped Fat Man, a plutonium bomb, much more powerful. When Truman heard what happened he stopped it the next day and issued an executive order that no atomic weapons were to be used unless directly authorized by him - that stopped it. On a side note - most military analysts of the time agree that it made very little difference in ending the war. What Japan needed to surrender was a concession, they would not accept unconditional surrender. We gave them a token concession and they accepted. That token concession was not important to us but of primary importance to them - the Emperor was allowed to stay although only in the role of a figure head.
Do you have any links to this? I have not seen this anywhere, I am curious to read about it.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
McCullough wrote a good biography on Truman which has some of this information. I believe that the documentary done by PBS also has a nice compilation. But if you are specifically interested in what Truman knew about Fat Man, read the May/June 1998 issue of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientist, this had the most direct accusation that it was Groves who authorized it rather than Truman. The military had little respect for Truman at that point in the war and there would have been no need for him to issue an executive order that only the president could authorize use if the military had not taken it upon themselves given authorization to drop the first one.

Of course I was not there, but I have read a lot about the era and Truman and I can't help but to believe based on the sequence of events during that week in August that Truman did not directly authorize the second bombing.

The rest of the history I cited is pretty easy to Google.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Greatest Threat to World Peace:   Donald Trump!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
ScottyJack wrote
Greatest Threat to World Peace:   Donald Trump!!
Totally agree.  Trump is an egomaniac that must not be elected.  He would be truly dangerous doing more damage than Obama if that is possible.

Clinton would be ok for the stock market but other wise a train wreck if she is not in jail by the election.  

Sanders has no way to way to pay his agenda with his own campaign saying it would have to raise taxes by $6.5 trillion of the rich and corporations leaving an unfunded $11.5 Trillion for the middle class or future generations to pay for.
Source
http://www.wsj.com/articles/price-tag-of-bernie-sanders-proposals-18-trillion-1442271511

Ben Carson is my guy.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Ugh. Right wing talking points are so fucking tired and played out.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Agree with Mattchuck. So tired of it. The level of truthyness is beyond the pale.

But at least Ben Carson isn't making shit up about vaccines. If he wasn't so partisan and anti-choice he'd make an ok secretary of health.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Don't look now but the Newsmax poll has Trump @ 46.3% after the debate - well ahead of everyone else.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Newsmax? Are they legit?
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I don't know - never heard of them but I thought it was interesting
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
PeeTex wrote
I don't know - never heard of them but I thought it was interesting
It's pretty far right.  Doesn't mean the poll isn't legit.

I had solo dad duty last night and missed the debate, caught maybe the last 30 mins and was surprised to see no questions addressed to Trump.

Questions from his supporters at a rally tonight really put a lot of things in perspective.  It seems to me that Trump will bring a lot of people to the polls who normally don't vote.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
I think if Trump loses the race, he should shave his head.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
But also 100% accurate.  Bernie has no way to pay for his dream agenda and Hill is going to jail.  Trump is a chump.  Where am I not correct?

Newsmax is a far right source hat I would not consider to be something I would quote.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Coach Z wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
But also 100% accurate.  Bernie has no way to pay for his dream agenda and Hill is going to jail.  Trump is a chump.  Where am I not correct?

Newsmax is a far right source hat I would not consider to be something I would quote.
I'm on my phone right now, and the forum isn't letting me post links, but search for "Bernie's plan won't cost $18 Trillion" and there are many articles that refute that article by interviewing the actual economists cited.

As for Hillary, put your money where your mouth is. I'll bet you a new pair of Volkl skis that she doesn't go to jail.

Trump is a chump, but you didn't finish the sentence: Trump is a chump whose views are in line with Coach Z's and the majority
Of the Republican Party.
1234567 ... 17