637 messages Options
12345 ... 32
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote
Another piece of news that actually excites me is that the resort fee is going away, except for lodging.
Praise geezus!!!! Now what are you whinny bitches gonna complain about
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
Rj1972 wrote
Another piece of news that actually excites me is that the resort fee is going away, except for lodging.
Poor loading of the quad. So poor that empty chairs go up regularly when there is a line.
Not opening trails that are skiable until the poachers have already skied them out.
Not turning on the snow guns when it seems like they should be making snow.

The resort fee was just bad marketing. Just like closing without notice last year.

GP is on the edge of being a really really good ski area.  Putting snow on the trails, and opening the trails when they are skiable will go a long way toward tipping them toward that. There's nothing more annoying than having to choose between poaching a trail and risk having ski patrol pull your pass, or waiting until its open and watching others ski it up.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
billyymc wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Rj1972 wrote
Poor loading of the quad. So poor that empty chairs go up regularly when there is a line.
Not opening trails that are skiable until the poachers have already skied them out.
Not turning on the snow guns when it seems like they should be making snow.

LMAO!!!

billyymc wrote
 . There's nothing more annoying than having to choose between poaching a trail and risk having ski patrol pull your pass, or waiting until its open and watching others ski it up.
I'll poach EVERY SINGLE TIME! Without hesitation. Those ski patrol can't catch me
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by GPPartner
Hey GP.  Thanks for posting here hope you stick around.  You folks have a business to run and need to make hard decisions that a lot of arm chair quarterbacks are not going to agree with.  If you are doing things for the right reason and are honest about what is going on I don't think you will ever get VALID shit.  Its not a GP thing all resorts try to hide things, the resort that is transparent will earn the respect of their customers.  
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
I'll poach EVERY SINGLE TIME! Without hesitation. Those ski patrol can't catch me
I've  never poached a trail, ever.

My point is still ----> open the trails when they are skiable. If patrol can't mange that, yank their access and boot them and get some new folks in there.

And besides - teaching people it's ok to poach is bad form. They go out west and do the same thing and they suddenly find themselves in a bad place.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
That totally made me laugh.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Hops &  Swaps event next weekend.

Looks like for $15 you can get MTB access plus whatever else is going on...good deal.

Does the lift line get pretty long for bike access at this event?

Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Jessica Sloma, VP of Sales & Marketing
Greek Peak Mountain Resort
2000 NYS Route 392, Cortland, NY 13045
JSloma@GreekPeakMtnResort.com
800.955.2754 Ext 6416 / cell 315.720.6915
GREEK PEAK MOUNTAIN RESORT IMPROVES AND EVOLVES SKI & RIDE EXPERIENCE

Major Snowmaking Improvements, New Trails, Improved Rental Fleet, and More!

(28 SEP 17) Cortland, NY – Since new ownership in 2013, Greek Peak Mountain Resort, located in Cortland, New York, has continued to invest in their mountain. When local entrepreneurs, John Meier and Marc Stemerman purchased the resort they began improvements exceeding $5.5 million. These improvement include the addition of the first Quad chairlift to Central New York and enhancements to snowmaking and base area buildings – Trax Pub & Grill along with Trax deck which is one of the largest outdoor decks in the area – perfect for après ski life.

Today, improvements continue with the goal to get the mountain open sooner with more available trails. Greek Peak Mountain Resort is replacing 750 feet of snowmaking pipe and adding 14 new HKD SV Snow Guns, one SMI Tower Fan, and a Tech Alpine Fan Gun. With these enhancements, Greek Peak will increase 1,000 gallons per minute of snow gun capacity.

For the upcoming 2017/2018 ski & ride season, Greek Peak Mountain Resort has upgraded their rental equipment and tuning center with the purchase of a new grinder. The rental building and rental operation will receive a makeover in time for the season. Greek Peak base buildings took a hit in July with flash flooding. This was an opportune time to reconfigure the layout of the rental building to enhance the guests experience while getting them on the snow faster with less hassle.

Snow sport enthusiasts will be pleased with the newly completed paving through the entrance of the base area. Greek Peak Mountain Resort’s goal is to provide customers a pleasant experience as they enter the resort’s Welcome Center and unload zone.

Greek Peak has partnered with a New Jersey firm, SNOW Operating, focused on customer experience and Terrain Based Learningâ„¢. Terrain Based Learningâ„¢ is an award-winning revolutionary new way of learning. It removes the traditional fears and anxiety from learning to ski and snowboard and puts the focus on the fun. Terrain Based Learningâ„¢ is a process for teaching beginner lessons that utilizes purpose-built snow features to assist the guest in achieving the movements, sensations and body positioning needed to ski and snowboard.

For the more experienced riders, Greek Peak is incorporating some of their downhill mountain bike trails into their glade ski/ride trail map bringing the trail count from 42 to 54 trails. Skiers and riders will be able to take advantage of the hard work the Greek Peak Hill Crew has put into the mountain over the last couple years. These additional glades will be natural, ungroomed trails that many riders seek out to get that backcountry, adrenaline-pumping experience.
With the additional improvements for the 17/18 ski season, the ownership at Greek Peak Mountain Resort is investing another $809,485 into Greek Peak Mountain Resort. Owners, Meier and Stemerman feel that this is an important investment, not only for the customers and more than 600 employees during peak season, it is important for the region. Greek Peak Mountain Resort is a destination which brings business into the area from major metropolitan areas.

Greek Peak Mountain Resort has taken a hard look at the ski industry and is making the necessary changes in hopes to revitalize and grow the industry. Watch for Greek Peak Mountain Resort’s new line of ticket options and passes, no resort fee on the ski area product line, and partnership with Jackson Hole Wyoming. Greek Peak pass holders will get 40% off tickets at Jackson Hole as a benefit to this new partnership.

Greek Peak Mountain Resort and Hope Lake & Conference Center is Central New York’s Largest four season, family-centric resort. Located in New York’s scenic Finger Lakes region, conveniently just minutes from I-81, the resort truly has something for everyone. Greek Peak Mountain Resort is the largest ski resort in central New York with 54 trails, six aerial lifts, two surface lifts, beginners’ slope, four Terrain Parks, including a Progression Park. Additionally, Greek Peak Mountain Resort operates a full service Nordic Center with groomed Cross Country and Snowshoe Trails with an average annual snowfall of 122 inches. Resort services include multiple dining options, conference and event facilities, Waterfalls Spa, Cascades Indoor Waterpark and The Adventure Center with mountain coaster, zip lines, aerial ropes course, and team building. The Resort is positioned adjacent to 7,000 acres of State protected land that is accessible by all residents and guests for cross country skiing, hiking, and snowshoeing. For more information, visit www.GreekPeakMtnResort.com
--end--
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I'm thrilled to hear about the snow making improvements. Does anyone know where the 750 feet of snow making pipe is going? It says, "replacement," so my guess is that they are not adding lines to Upper Mars.

In terms of Snow Operating. This company is a small operation run be the prior Manager of Mountain Creek, Joe Hussein.  Interestingly, Joe is back to running Mountain Creek again this year.

With the rental shop renovation, I'm wondering if insurance funds are paying for this. I hope not, as their insurance carrier is only going to put up with so much.

As far as using the mountain biking trails for skiing, Good idea.  However, not my cup of tea, as there is so little natural snow in CNY now a days. Regardless, I'm sure this will excite some people, and adds to the trail count, but reduces the overall percentage of snow making trails.

All in all, some really good news!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote

All in all, some really good news!
I concur!

Sucks they put those bike trails on the map

@ Billy --- can't help you, have no intel regarding lines during this event.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
HOLYSHITSTIX!!! With all I've had going on this summer I haven't been over to the hill at all. I drove through there this AM to find them paving all around and in front of the Welcome Center area, or the drop off area. It looks SO DAMN NICE!!!

Major kudos to Marc and John ---- nice work fellas

Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
HOLYSHITSTIX!!! With all I've had going on this summer I haven't been over to the hill at all. I drove through there this AM to find them paving all around and in front of the Welcome Center area, or the drop off area. It looks SO DAMN NICE!!!

Major kudos to Marc and John ---- nice work fellas
Thank goodness, as the entrance was nothing short of a mine field. I hope they also paved over all the stones in front of the foot bridge.
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73

Paving appears to go right up to the footbridge now.  After seeing some of their recent Facebook posts and tossing the resort fee on the ski side, I'm more optimistic going into this season than I was coming out of last.  Keep the momentum going John & Marc!
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
If someone could take a picture from the inside of Trax and post it I'd appreciate it! I want to see what that place looks like.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by Joneski73
Joneski73 wrote
Paving appears to go right up to the footbridge now.  
Excellent!  Thanks for posting the photo.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Anyone hit Hops & Swaps? I had plans to go but didn't end up making it. I heard it was a real good turn out
Reply | Threaded
|

Vinski
Swaps was busy with lots of equipment (skis mostly new, without bindings).    Hops on the deck was very busy with good music all afternoon.   Lots of people with bikes and many just up for taking a ride on the lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Just an FYI that they did not pave the entire entrance. There are still a couple of potholes near the shuttle bus loop. They did; however, pave all the way to the footbridge, as well as a small section on the other side of the bridge. Yahoo--no more stones and mud!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Flurries in the Valley when I went home for lunch today.....
12345 ... 32