Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Hollenbeck's to open 9/21

Damn near party time
That's always a fun time of the year, and a precursor to ski season being just around the corner.

I may very well head up the following weekend.
Agree RJ

I've always considered the opening of Hollenbeck's the unofficial start of Fall in the Valley.

We had a BeerBBQ and bonfire yesterday ---- great weather for it
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Anyone hitting Hops and Swaps this year??? Gor?? RJ?? Anyone? I plan to go over once I get out of work.

Lots of activities go on as well

https://greekpeak.net/hops-and-swaps?fbclid=IwAR3yWwqjQa7V8LWBLa9u1MfBI__8DuJ27iULlfUsXCRZtrNpDEqHsAna96c

Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
always a good time but unfortunately gonna miss it this year... daughter is getting  married next month and trying to wrap up a few house and yard projects before the big fat greek wedding
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
gorgonzola wrote
always a good time but unfortunately gonna miss it this year...
That sucks

I'll have a Hops fer ya then.

gorgonzola wrote
  daughter is getting  married next month and trying to wrap up a few house and yard projects before the big fat greek wedding
Holy crap!! Doesn't seem possible. Good for you guys --- have a blast!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
For some reason our October is a bit full this year. Our only open weekend is the 12th and 13th. Right now we're on the fence in terms of spending it at GP or not. I'm out of town through the afternoon of the 11th, so may simply spend the weekend at home. We'll see.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Camp,  we decided to hop in the car last evening and head to Greek. We hit Hollenbeck‘s first thing this morning when they opened, and when we drove by a couple of hours later, cars were parked on the road, and the line extended out the front door into the parking lot. Glad we went when we did. I plan to go back tomorrow to pick up a pie before we head home. I would imagine that it will be just as crazy.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
No doubt! That place has been a zoo. Good for them. I haven't been in there yet, typically wait until mid October with hopes the crowds aren't as bad. They have great products so I get why people will wait in line.

Side note --- guns on Odyssey look sa_weet. Should really help get that race hill in shape much quicker.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
No doubt! That place has been a zoo. Good for them. I haven't been in there yet, typically wait until mid October with hopes the crowds aren't as bad. They have great products so I get why people will wait in line.

Side note --- guns on Odyssey look sa_weet. Should really help get that race hill in shape much quicker.
We also stopped at Hollenbeck‘s Monday morning before heading home, and it was much more subdued. Thank goodness for that.

We hiked up to see what was happening on the mountain, and noticed the snowmaking  improvements on the skiers right of the Iliad. They replaced pipe from the midway road on up, and it appears as though they will be installing HDK or similar guns.

We did not venture over to the odyssey, but saw that ground was disturbed on the left side of the Iliad. What more did they do to the odyssey?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Wow!  I assumed they were finished with Odyssey, but I guess the new installations were the icing on the cake.

I do know that they plan to continue lining trails with guns, as they are having a heck of a time hiring snow makers. The less they have to drag guns around, the smaller staff they can get by with. Of course, they have quite a few more trails to update, but little by little, they'll get there.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Rj1972 wrote
Wow!  I assumed they were finished with Odyssey, but I guess the new installations were the icing on the cake.

I do know that they plan to continue lining trails with guns, as they are having a heck of a time hiring snow makers. The less they have to drag guns around, the smaller staff they can get by with. Of course, they have quite a few more trails to update, but little by little, they'll get there.
Any idea if the new stick guns are automated?  Not only saves on labor time, means making much better use of short cold snaps during the early season or after a warm spell.

It made a big difference when Massanutten retro-fitted automation for old stick guns being kept while they were also installing new ones.  Massanutten started upgrading the existing snowmaking infrastructure about five years ago.  Even after the first year, the difference was quite noticeable in December and early January.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
marznc wrote
Rj1972 wrote

Any idea if the new stick guns are automated?  Not only saves on labor time, means making much better use of short cold snaps during the early season or after a warm spell.

It made a big difference when Massanutten retro-fitted automation for old stick guns being kept while they were also installing new ones.  Massanutten started upgrading the existing snowmaking infrastructure about five years ago.  Even after the first year, the difference was quite noticeable in December and early January.
I believe they are simply going to be typical HDK non-automated guns. I’ve really been out of the loop the last several months so can’t speak definitively, but doubt that the owners would invest in automation, other than the occasional super polecat.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Rj1972 wrote
I believe they are simply going to be typical HDK non-automated guns. I’ve really been out of the loop the last several months so can’t speak definitively, but doubt that the owners would invest in automation, other than the occasional super polecat.
Hopefully they invested in an ON switch.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote

I do know that they plan to continue lining trails with guns, as they are having a heck of a time hiring snow makers.
I don't doubt that. Like living on Long island for a summer, I made snow for a winter at GP. Both of those experiences were enough for me to figure out I never wanted to do either one of those things ever again.
Those guys are a special breed. Most wouldn't make it to lunch.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
List of Breweries for this weekend. Should be a great time!!

Cortland Beer Company
Ithaca Brewery
Empire Brewery
Grist Iron Brew
Homer Hops
Middle Ages Brew
Horesheads Brew
Southern Tier Brew
Saranac Brew
Otter Creek Brew
Long Trail Brew
Talking Cursive Brew
Dogfish Head Brewery
New Belgium Brew
Sierra Nevada Brew
Hopshire Brew
Citizen Cidery
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Impressive how many places in NJ/NYC serve Southern Tier Brew. I've heard how difficult it can be for small breweries to get distribution beyond their home regions.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
List of Breweries for this weekend. Should be a great time!!

Cortland Beer Company
Glad to see cortland still around... did they ever find a buyer?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Not that I know of. I believe the parties involved worked something out. Think they bought a partner out or something like that. We were just there Friday night for some good beer and listen to a great band
Their ,Naked Lap Lager is my personal fav. Plus the I drink naked shirt is pretty cool .
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Hopefully some of these make actual beer flavored beer rather than the shit that so many craft breweries are concocting now.

If I wanted grapefruit juice, I'd drink grapefruit juice. If I wanted herbs and spices in my drink, I'd hit myself on the head with a mallet.

US craft brewers should look at the classic European styles and be able to make them well before adding cinnamon kale ale to their repertoire. Hipsters will drink anything.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I know this guy that has a brewery in Queens..He brought me a sample of Rosemary Jalapeno stuff..It was crap!!
"Peace and Love"
1 ... 1314151617